Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I needed a circuit diagram for the power supply section of the TD, but unhappily it's not available anywhere AFAIK. Even the guys on the official TD forum don't have one.

Only thing for it was to trace the existing circuitry on the board. I had a spare TD which had a PS which had suffered catastrophic failure - the chopper FET had shorted and taken with it the current mode controller IC, plus transistors and various diodes and resistors.

As it necessitated a rebuild, the opportunity arose to be able to (fairly) easily trace the wiring routes and component values with the damaged components removed.

Only the secondary circuitry is shown here; this may help in identifying vulnerable components, e.g electrolytics. I'm still drawing out the primary, which I will add later.

Attachments

• Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Primary.jpg
    Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Primary.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Secondary.jpg
    Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Secondary.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 325

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Having added the primary schematic (a little more time was needed to draw that one out :-doh2) I might as well stick them up as PDF files too -

Attachments

• Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Primary.pdf
    175.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Triple Dragon Power Supply Schematic Secondary.pdf
    149.5 KB · Views: 141

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A small note for purists - I showed the transformer in my original drawing as a steel-cored type - hardly the type to be seen in an SMPS :-rofl2

Now changed to ferrite cored.

runner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple-Dragon DBS-3000cncie 250gb HD
Digital H.H V-bracket Cryptic Motor
1m Orbital Dish
My Location
Birmingham
Hi Llew,
Need your advice as you practically know about everything about the Triple Dragon.
I have a DBS-3000cncie for some years. Its in the box now because I could not connect it to my router. I'm not very good with computers & networking.
I recently bought a new wireless router and in the proccess of buying a new HD Tv. There has been a lot of good Hd Satellite receivers on the market which requires no programming and auto updates by themselves - The Protek 9750HD and SpiderboxHD with Gift/Service, these seem to be hassle free with ease of use.
The Triple Dragon is a good quality SD receiver but seems to have lost the support it deserves, the hardware could have been much better. With you advice, shall I unbox my Triple Dragon again and have another go or buy a Hd receiver with less to do?
Regards, Runner

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
runner said:
Hi Llew,
Need your advice as you practically know about everything about the Triple Dragon.
I have a DBS-3000cncie for some years. Its in the box now because I could not connect it to my router. I'm not very good with computers & networking.
I recently bought a new wireless router and in the proccess of buying a new HD Tv. There has been a lot of good Hd Satellite receivers on the market which requires no programming and auto updates by themselves - The Protek 9750HD and SpiderboxHD with Gift/Service, these seem to be hassle free with ease of use.
The Triple Dragon is a good quality SD receiver but seems to have lost the support it deserves, the hardware could have been much better. With you advice, shall I unbox my Triple Dragon again and have another go or buy a Hd receiver with less to do?
Regards, Runner

Hi Runner, welcome to the forum.

I still use my TD as well as a Dreambox HD receiver. Despite looking a little retro regarding the Menu system, that's what makes it so easy to use - don't know about the other boxes you mention. I suppose it's a question of how 'up-to-date' you need the receiver to be - I have the last image that was available from TDMan, over a year ago, and it suits me fine, just needing updating with channel lists from Dreambox sites.

If an HD box is of prime importance, there's plenty to choose from, but I can't fault the picture quality of my TD.

runner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple-Dragon DBS-3000cncie 250gb HD
Digital H.H V-bracket Cryptic Motor
1m Orbital Dish
My Location
Birmingham
Thanks Llew for your advice,
I shall give the Triple Dragon another go from the beginning with more time and patience.
Regards, Runner.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Good move, Runner. Should be enough info here, howto pdfs etc.
If you get stuck, just ask.