Upgrade of existing system in Guildford

Seb Lawson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomaster receiver (ex-Echostar AD3600); ChannelMaster 1.2m dish; iMac
My Location
Surrey
I have an existing set-up with a fairly old Technomate and (if I remember right) a 1 or 1.2m Channel Master motorised dish. For some reason the installer set it up with a separate satellite positioner rather than DiSEqC, which I would much prefer.

I'd like to upgrade the system, ideally to do away with the separate positioner and upgrade to a new receiver (I was thinking of the Technomate 5402 HD M3?) Obviously I can swap out the receiver myself but I'd need an installer in relation to the positioner/DiSEqC, as well as for a general health-check on the system. Would anybody (Channel Hopper?) be able to help?

Many thanks

Seb

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Channel Master dishes are quite heavy and are not really suitable for DiSEqC motors. This is especially the case with a 1.2m one - you could probably get away with a DiSEqC motor on a 1m but I personally wouldn't recommend it. If your dish is a 1.2m, then you will need to stay with a separate positioner option.

However, your positioner might be quite old and not work together with your receiver. In other words, it might not accept DiSEqC commands from your receiver and convert them to pulse counts. A newer positioner (a VBox or a Gbox etc.) will work with your receiver as one and, once set up, you won't need to touch it.

If you have any pictures of your dish and positioner then please post them here.

Seb Lawson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey
Thanks very much for replying so quickly.

It's possible that I'm wrong about the make of the dish - will double check and confirm.

At the moment the receiver and positioner don't talk to each other at all, so it would be great if there was a way for them to do this. I'm not too bothered about having 2 boxes but having to juggle 2 remotes etc when I want to change channels between different satellites is a major nuisanc.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Can you please post more information regarding your motor, particularly the wiring connections. Does it have 4 wires going from your motor to your positioner?

Seb Lawson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey
Thanks very much - I'll do some photos and upload when I get home

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Sounds like you need a vbox and link this to your new receiver that you end up buying.

This way you setup the positions using diseqc 1.2 and store them on the vbox so once you select 13east for example on your receiver will send a command to the vbox which will move the dish.

No need for two remotes.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have an existing set-up with a fairly old Technomate and (if I remember right) a 1 or 1.2m Channel Master motorised dish. For some reason the installer set it up with a separate satellite positioner rather than DiSEqC, which I would much prefer.

I'd like to upgrade the system, ideally to do away with the separate positioner and upgrade to a new receiver (I was thinking of the Technomate 5402 HD M3?) Obviously I can swap out the receiver myself but I'd need an installer in relation to the positioner/DiSEqC, as well as for a general health-check on the system. Would anybody (Channel Hopper?) be able to help?

Many thanks

Seb

Apologies, I really thought I had replied to this a few days ago, but I have not been in front of a PC screen regularly. Will look back through my posting history, I may have dreamt it with the number of hours I've done this week.