Vu+ duo and external USB drives

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised system. Samsung reciever. Sky HD
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Leaning towards a Vu+duo........However not sure my grey matter can deal with it. :)

I would like to know if there are any complications in setting up an external USB hard drive. Is it a case plug in the right bits in the right places follow initialisation instructions and live happily ever after......Or as I seem to find when asking questions about the Vu+ systems all is not as simple as that.....

I do not wish to mess about with a computer just to get an external drive working in a satellite reciever... I have read some posts on another support forum of people having to do just that to get the USB drive recognised by the Vu+.......... Please give me some good news before I throw myself under a wheelybin........:confused

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Your kind of duplicating your questions. If you go on Vu+ or Dreambox forums and read the posts it all seems very complicated, but if you have the device everything just falls into place in a matter of minutes.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Huevos said:
Your kind of duplicating your questions. If you go on Vu+ or Dreambox forums and read the posts it all seems very complicated, but if you have the device everything just falls into place in a matter of minutes.

Mmmm. To me that's an expensive gamble getting the equipment first and hoping to understand answers on the forums.... If I had a reasonable understanding from reading the posts on the Vu+ forums that would be ok but the nore one reads the more contradictory the explanations seem.......With the Vu+ technology there never seems to be a yes or a no to a straight question.......I am getting to the point of just giving up........

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Huevos said:

I do apologise I didn't see your reply to the other thread which had a difinitive answer......

The reason I sort of duplicated the post down here is because I've only just realised there was a dedicated Vu+ thread here and thought it worthwhile trying where Vu owners are likely to be posting.......

Once again I am sorry for the first reply. getting a bit tired and need to unwind a bit......

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
malcom123 said:
To me that's an expensive gamble getting the equipment first and hoping to understand answers on the forums.
It's not a gamble at all. The receiver is excellent. With mine I had it running with an internal hard drive within minutes of unpacking it. The box lets you do so much compared to other receivers and that is the reason why there are so many questions.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Thank's....On my old Samsung 10 year receiver I have an option of 9 different "favourites menues". Looking through the manual of the Vu+duo with the suplied "image". There seems to be just one "favourites menu as illustrated in the manual".

Would multiple "favourites" lists be available via a different "image" on the Vu+ duo........

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
On an Enigma box it is called a "bouquet". Easiest way is make up as many as you like on a PC and then FTP them over to the Vu+.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Thank's. Do you have a link that provides instructions on how to do that!!!

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Many thank's for your help.........

Taihape

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
optus D1
My Location
NZ
Hi out there from a newbie! Just picked up my Vu+ duo yesterday and got most things funtioning but having problems getting it to recognise my usb hdd; usb stick - no problem! On the stick, it will play movie files but no sound - any suggestions about what I 'm doing wrong?:confused

cormachogan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800, Vu+ Duo in the way, Triax TDA88 dish, Geotrac SG2100 motor,Inverto Twin Black Ultra LNB
My Location
Dublin
Why not simply fit your hard drive internally?

Taihape

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
optus D1
My Location
NZ
cormachogan said:
Why not simply fit your hard drive internally?

It already has a 500gb hdd; all I want to do is to be able to attach my ext hdd and play the video files off it. For some reason, usb sticks are no problem nor is my old (5 yrs) usb ext hdd but my freecom ext hdd is not recognised. I'd also like to transfer some recorded files to that for editing on the computer......