Which Firmware for Passion+

bobpass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat, Win7
My Location
East Midlands
Which firmware is the best for a FULL EPG on the Passion +?

I have tried a few different firmware versions that all seam to work differently. What I want is all the FreeSat Channels (incl. HD) and their relevent EPG in full not just last and next or blank or empty EPG slots. I have tried using Power Search which solves the problem but it will only work for a once only time in standby as it turns off after running. It also works by turning off completely and wait for the updates on startup, but will not update more than once if put into standby.

Any suggestions welcomed as it is annoying to the point of returning the box which is just 2 weeks old.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
bobpass said:
Which firmware is the best for a FULL EPG on the Passion +?

I have tried a few different firmware versions that all seam to work differently. What I want is all the FreeSat Channels (incl. HD) and their relevent EPG in full not just last and next or blank or empty EPG slots. I have tried using Power Search which solves the problem but it will only work for a once only time in standby as it turns off after running. It also works by turning off completely and wait for the updates on startup, but will not update more than once if put into standby.

Any suggestions welcomed as it is annoying to the point of returning the box which is just 2 weeks old.

Clicky link Download

The Wander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
Vistron 42" HD
My Location
West Country
I have had a Passion+ HD STB for about 2 years now and must say the most disappointing thing is the EPG.

My unit when purchased came with an old version of firmware and over time I have tried all the versions up to and including the latest version 127. All versions have had some problems with the EPG either not filling until you select a page or only filling some channels and not all.

The best firmware version for me was the last version pn2_av126fs_20091203 this version gave the most consistent EPG fill rate and displayed the highest number of filled channels.
There are however some problems with this version the most annoying being the BBC HD channel will reboot the unit at random times, sometimes lasting for hours and sometimes after only a few minutes watching the channel. Also when navigating the EPG the ‘highlight’ bar will jump to random locations as you move up and down the channel list (and you may at times have a second highlight bar that does not move).

The latest version pn2_av127fs_20100617 is supposed to fix the above problems with the BBC HD channel re-setting but as yet I have not tested it (not found anything worth watching lol).
However this firmware version has introduced a major bug/problem/feature, when you first start the unit from a power on mode using the power on/off switch on the box the EPG will fill and display fine, but after it seems either a random time or by selecting some menu button (I’m not sure yet what is the trigger) the EPG will just empty of all details, blank, nothing, nada.

The only way of getting the EPG back is to power down and back on again using the power switch on the unit. If I can narrow down the problem I will file a bug repost to Fortec but I don’t hold out much hope of a fix.

The unit itself is fine and does produce a good quality picture both in standard and HD modes (output to a 42” LCD TV) but it’s the EPG that lets it down. Would I buy another, probably no unless the EPG ever got fixed.

BTW you must make sure you have 7 day UK EPG selected ON in the menus.

Hope this has helped you make a decision on what to do with you unit.

bobpass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat, Win7
My Location
East Midlands
Thanks Wander for the helpful comments. I am currently using the pn2_av127f firmware which for me as been better. At the moment the EPG seams to be OK for 48 - 72 hours before disappearing. Turning the receiver off and on again does refill the EPG. I am very happy with the HD display although the SD display took a bit of tweaking on the TV settings to get the best from it. I have had no major problems with the HDD recordings.

I did email Fortec Star about the EPG problem but no reply other than an automatic response. I did read it another forum that Fortec are aware and developing another firmware version to hopefully kill the latest bugs. I will wait and see as I only paid £99.99 and I am getting use to the niggles and would be hard pressed to find a brand new receiver of this output standard at this price.