Wi-fi enabled satellite receivers

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A customer has just had his Humax 2000 die on him and whilst I could fix it (looks like there is scorching of the psu tracks near the regulators), he also has a weak BT wifi signal in the property owing to a large house that is on three levels

In order to kill two birds with one stone, do the modern receivers with wireless connection have repeater/hotspot capability ?

I have an Octagon SF8008 and an Openbox V9S here that I could use, both will drive his motorised system without difficulty, though the 8008 is certainly going to be struggle for the family to learn.

Thanks in advance

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well, I eventually went for the Openbox V9 for two reasons.

1) It is very cheap - free since somebody else had already had it for the stuff before the gift ran out, and
2) The remote control is actually excellent for older users, big buttons and a 'click' when you press them, so they know when a command has been set to the box, so they know not to panic and can wait for the dish to move.

Having reset the box to factory, the USALS is a major improvement on the 2000 with only DiSEqC 1.2 once coordinates are correctly programmed, the dish has been in place for around 12 years and consists of an Orbital 80 cm on a Moteck elephant's dong, nothing outside needed adjusting, after about an hour the client has about 1200 channels to play with and all French, English and Russian channel are in the favourite listings.

I decided to take the box apart before passing on, just in case people want to see what's inside them.

Attachments

• IMG_9478.JPG
    IMG_9478.JPG
    957.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9479.JPG
    IMG_9479.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9480.JPG
    IMG_9480.JPG
    941.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9481.JPG
    IMG_9481.JPG
    904.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9484.JPG
    IMG_9484.JPG
    930.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9486.JPG
    IMG_9486.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9476.JPG
    IMG_9476.JPG
    973.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
For the wifi extension, I installed a prototype smart speaker that was part of a project I came across a few years back, plus the app - VOCO - that can still be accessed on android (with a bit of a search), allowing full signal in the areas they populate the most at the far end of the property.

The speaker install allows the search engine (tied to the free TuneIn radio app), to provide multiple radio channels and podcasts going back to at least 2013. They can now listen to any artist/concert/show that appears in the search - and has not been disconnected - not sure for how long though since the original developers sold up a couple of years ago. The hotspot however will still run until the speaker gives up the ghost.

I'll try to locate the research data and some screenshots before the weekend.