Will Nova Card work in England and with what equipment

novasatellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite receiver
My Location
England uk
Will a Nova Greek television card work in a Sky satellite receiver box here in England?

Already have a large satellite dish that used to get the free ERT world programme but that has disappeared off the options for Hotbird.

What is the technical tune-in for our satellite company to use to tune-in the Nova card for our television?

Please answer in plain English as I have no technical knowledge, but the techno-babble is for our Rugeley Satellites information so I can explain what we want.

Sky will shut off at the end of my subscription in a few weeks time, so there will be no Sky transmissions into my home.

Thanks.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
novasatellite said:
Will a Nova Greek television card work in a Sky satellite receiver box here in England?

Already have a large satellite dish that used to get the free ERT world programme but that has disappeared off the options for Hotbird.

What is the technical tune-in for our satellite company to use to tune-in the Nova card for our television?

Please answer in plain English as I have no technical knowledge, but the techno-babble is for our Rugeley Satellites information so I can explain what we want.

Sky will shut off at the end of my subscription in a few weeks time, so there will be no Sky transmissions into my home.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum

Nova cards will not work in a uk sky reciever but you should be able to recieve Nova in the uk with the right size dish and correct reciever

You should be able to use a Nova card in a linux box or an official Nova box

If you supply more information someone will be able to assist you more

You should post the size of your dish and also your town/city in England so people can advise if you can actually get it

Who is the satellite company you mention as "our satellite company" in your post and what exactly do you mean by "What is the technical tune-in for our satellite company to use to tune-in the Nova card for our television"?

With a Nova subscription you will not get any of the uk sky channels so what kind of channels are you expecting to get from a Nova subscription?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Rugeley Satellites is based near Stafford smoggy - its my home area - I know that area very well. In fact they installed my mum & dads Sky analogue system - Ive still got the old dish with a very faded logo on it - its our Sky dish now :D

Anyway novasatellite - the reason you lost ERT World is simple - they changed frequency a while back. If you find the manual tune section in the menus of your receiver it can be found on

Hotbird 13E

10815H
5/6

Several of the forum advertisers offer Nova subscriptions and will be able to set you up with the relevant card.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
people who supply nova cards include the receiver with the card because cards are now paired to receivers I believe, so you will just need to connect up the receiver to your hotbird dish and away you go.

novasatellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite receiver
My Location
England uk
Thanks everyone. Now I have the bad news that I need to not only get a Nova card from Greece (I have relatives who will sort that for me, I cannot afford one from England), but need to get a Nova receiver from someone in England.

What is a Linux box receiver?

The programmes on Nova wanted are the Greece normal television channels as I am part Greece Greek.

Yes I know Rugeley Satellites very well as they put in our satellite dishes and tuned up our Sky, which I have now cancelled my subscription to. I am in Stafford in Staffordshire.

Thanks for the information that ERT WORLD changed and Rugeley Satellites will sort that as and when I get a Nova card from Greece (and its subscription) and a Nova receiver box or something called a Linux receiver?

Thanks.

Any other information would be very much appreciated.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Linux boxes are high end hobby boxes. You dont really need or want one.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
wod said:
people who supply nova cards include the receiver with the card because cards are now paired to receivers I believe, so you will just need to connect up the receiver to your hotbird dish and away you go.

novasatellite said:
Thanks everyone. Now I have the bad news that I need to not only get a Nova card from Greece (I have relatives who will sort that for me, I cannot afford one from England), but need to get a Nova receiver from someone in England.

What is a Linux box receiver?

The programmes on Nova wanted are the Greece normal television channels as I am part Greece Greek.

Yes I know Rugeley Satellites very well as they put in our satellite dishes and tuned up our Sky, which I have now cancelled my subscription to. I am in Stafford in Staffordshire.

Thanks for the information that ERT WORLD changed and Rugeley Satellites will sort that as and when I get a Nova card from Greece (and its subscription) and a Nova receiver box or something called a Linux receiver?

Thanks.

Any other information would be very much appreciated.

Analoguesat said:
Linux boxes are high end hobby boxes. You dont really need or want one.

As mentioned above, the Nova cards are paired to the box meaning you need to get a card and box togeather, I only mentioned a linux box because I didnt know the cards are paired

A linux box is a reciever that runs on the linux opperating system, they can be used as a free to air box to watch the channels that are free (i.e. you dont need to pay for them as theyre subscription free, like the BBC channels in the uk) or can be used with a subscription card

If you get family in Greece to get you the subscription to Nova, make sure the reciever comes with it and everything is activated before they send it (being activated means you need to tell your family to make sure they can view all the channels on it before they send it, they might need to call Nova and have them turn the card and box on), if you already have a dish pointing at hotbird 13E you dont need to involve your satellite guy as you`d be paying him for turning up and pluging the box in for you

If you have any problems when the card and box arrive, before you call your satellite guy, come back here and tell us what the problem is and we`ll try and help first, if you do have any problems when the box and card arrive, which you shouldnt really if its all activated, take photos of the set up, of how you have it all connected at the back of the box, the wires and so on and also the dish too, that way you can come and post here with your pictures and people can see exactly how you have it set up and can offer instant advise without the need to ask more questions

Good luck

greekbrit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat IRD990
My Location
UK
A word of warning regarding Nova. I just spent 99 euros on "Nova in a box". There is an offer in Greece right now which provides you with a paired card for the new HD box and up to 6 months free depending on the package you want. To my horror, it won't work with my satellite dish as I have 2 LNBs, hence I cannot activate it. This might cause a few problems to some people as Nova has not issued the update necessary to bypass this obstacle. Hope this helps.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
By "it won't work with my satellite dish as I have 2 LNBs", do you mean you have a monobloc LNB or a DiSEqC switch in line?

martinuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB & Feedhorn, with Tm.Vbox &Technomate 5402HD
My Location
uk-stoke-on-trent
Analoguesat said:
Rugeley Satellites is based near Stafford smoggy - its my home area - I know that area very well. In fact they installed my mum & dads Sky analogue system - Ive still got the old dish with a very faded logo on it - its our Sky dish now :D

Anyway novasatellite - the reason you lost ERT World is simple - they changed frequency a while back. If you find the manual tune section in the menus of your receiver it can be found on

Hotbird 13E

10815H
5/6

Several of the forum advertisers offer Nova subscriptions and will be able to set you up with the relevant card.
isnt Rugeley in uttoxeter used live there my self

greekbrit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat IRD990
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
By "it won't work with my satellite dish as I have 2 LNBs", do you mean you have a monobloc LNB or a DiSEqC switch in line?

Not familiar with the terminology of it. The service engineer did say that the DiSEqc was the problem and that there was no software update at present on the Nova box that could deal with that issue. There is a splitter by the dish which feeds into one cable. My humax, however, can read Astra and Hotbird from both LNBs. Does this make any sense?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The "splitter" will be a DiSEqC switch.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Does the nova HD box have a loop through f connector socket (another socket on the back to loop the signal out to another box when the nova one is turned off)?

If so all you need to do is remove the splitter near the dish, run a new cable from the nova lnb to the nova box, then run a cable from the nova box output to the splitter and from the splitter to the humax ( you add the other lnbs cable to the splitter indoors)

It`s a chew on but should help you if the nova box has the loop through

Hopefully you understand what I`m trying to get accross because I know wht I want to say but it`s difficult trying to explain it in laymans terms so if anyone else gets what I mean can you post a clearer reply lol

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm presuming that Astra 28.2 is on input A and Hotbird on input B, so you may need to reverse them for the Nova box to work and then switch the ports around in the Humax menus.

greekbrit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat IRD990
My Location
UK
I'm not too worried about the set up that I have as I use the Humax here. Nova works fine on the Humax. I just can't activate the Nova Card on the Nova in the box. I will take it to England and get it activated there on my mother's set up and hopefully all will be well.