Wrongly installed Passion update to Passion+ now can't reverse as USB don't work HELP

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
MY STB - Fortec Star Passion+ HD

I have done an update before without problems but not this time. I uploaded wrong update that's PASSION >>> PASSION+. Now I can't do anything about it. The USB option does show on the S/W transfer, but from what I gather it dose not read the data from USB.

I would humble request help, is there a possiblity to update the right software any other way or using r232. Where can I get the software to use the r232 cable.

Please Thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Fortecstar site has them all

_http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
stevd said:
MY STB - Fortec Star Passion+ HD

I have done an update before without problems but not this time. I uploaded wrong update that's PASSION >>> PASSION+. Now I can't do anything about it. The USB option does show on the S/W transfer, but from what I gather it dose not read the data from USB.

I would humble request help, is there a possiblity to update the right software any other way or using r232. Where can I get the software to use the r232 cable.

Please Thanks

I'm sorry to say your EEPROM is now full of garbage. Only an erase can clear it - return the box to Fortecstar for reprogramming.

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
Channel Hopper said:
The Fortecstar site has them all

_http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/

Thanks first of all for your help, I did as you said and downloaded the loader for passion+ I checked the instructions for uploading the software to the box but instruction dose not mention anything about Passion+ it looks like there is a software which works with rs232 cable to configure com port and then upload the software, don't know where to get the software from. The loader I downloaded from this site is with extension .dnl which you can't open in windows. Is there anything I can do. ...

Thanks very much

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
As far as I know, there's no software for the Passion available for reflashing your box via RS232 from a PC. It's possible though to do a transfer from a similar receiver if you know of anybody with one.

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
Thanks Llew I am sure you are right was just trying to get most cost effective way to get my box into shape, what a shame I never did such a thing before it was just a difference of + between the two models. Got to find somebody with the same model in Nottingham ... a big Thanks

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
HI EVERYONE,
I HAVE JUST MANAGED TO BRING MY FORTEC STAR PASSION+ HD BACK TO NORMAL. I have managed to get the rs232 tool and the right procedure to get the box up and running.

comber

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish
fortect innovation hd system
My Location
nothern ireland
my fortectstar innovation is doing the same ,after a bad update,could you please tell me what software you used via pc to stb ,i have a rs232 cable but unable to find the software

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
stevd said:
I have managed to get the rs232 tool and the right procedure to get the box up and running.

Good result. Now just write down the order of how you fixed your machine and post on here.

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
Its is simple but verrrrrrrrrrrrrry risky. I requested the fortec star techical office in Dubai and they managed to send me the rs232 tool.

procedure:
1. you need a rs232 cable female to female null modem cable (bought from amazon.co.uk) and then a rs232 to usb adapter.
2. after getting these you need to install the rs232 to usb adapter to your computer, making sure the driver is compatible with the OS.
3. load the Fortec Star RS232 tool (FS Download Manager) on you computer.
4. Visit _http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads and download the right update for your passion+ (updated in June 2010). Also download the loader ver. 1.5/v15.
unzip them to your desktop (they will be in a dnl extension).
5. put off your STB - unplug it from the power socket.
6. run the rs232 tool (FS Download Manager), then in settings choose the baud rate (as per my experience it worked well on 9600). I feel the lower the baud rate the better (I am not an engineer so I am not responsible if anything goes wrong).
7. in this software explorer choose the loader file to download, then click download and now put on the STB, it will come on with message data and start the download. It might take few attempts.
8. When the loader upload is finished, do the same with firmware updated version, it will update and erase the previous version or in my case wrong version. IT WORKED FOR ME AND NOW IT IS BACK TO NORMAL, USB WORKING AND ALL IS FINE.

WELL I SAW MANY POSTS IN MANY FORUMS NOBODY KNEW OR HAD THE TIME TO WRITE THE SOLUTION, I MANAGED TO GET IT FROM THE FS, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GET IT FROM THEM, I WILL ATTACH THE FILES HERE IN MY NEXT POST

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Thanks for the solution stevd, I am sure others will benefit from this information. Be aware we do not allow the posting of flash or binary files on the forum.

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
Thanks for the advise TOPPER, not posting any files!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most people put things up on rapidshare if needed.:)

comber

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish
My Location
nothern ireland
that not working on the innovation stb damn

stevd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Nottingham
Hi Comber - did u try the Innovation Software, you got to be careful. When I did it took me couple of hours, as whenever I was putting on the STB, it went straight to channels, But I rebooted the computer and tried again.

Other way to do is to upload the Boot loader only through this process & then the firmware through the on screen menu S/W Transfer - PC to STB (mine was stopping at 50% and restarting).

There is some kind of synchronisation that has to work between the computer being ready with the file and the stb coming on and reading it.

Hope this works

TO ROLFW - HI, NEVER TRIED RAPIDSHARE, will try though, I dont know if Admin will allow me to put my email here so you can reply and I can then send attachment

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
stevd said:
TO ROLFW - HI, NEVER TRIED RAPIDSHARE, will try though, I dont know if Admin will allow me to put my email here so you can reply and I can then send attachment

Posting of Email addresses not allowed as per the rules

comber

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish
My Location
nothern ireland
tried the latest loader v1.5
cant seem to find innovation pc to stb software am trying using the passion one
mine gets to 92 % then it stops ,must be software for the innovation somewhere
thanks for the reply

captainfred

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion+, 160GB external HD for recording, 3 laptops (2 W/XP, 1W/7), 5TB total HD
My Location
SW France
Hi STevd,

My Passion+ is out and I'm getting no joy from Fortec UK. I wish I'd looked at these forums before attempting to apply a USB firmware update - sending my Fortec Passion+ to its (temporary?) grave. USB ports are not being recognized and the screen is blank. I'd like to try the RS232 path, but do not have the FS Download Manager. There are two listed on their website for units other than Passion+ and I suspect that these are not interchangeable. If you get this, thanks very much.

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
I have emailed you the relevant files