Yes Israel Package Basic Subscription Cost

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I took another look at the Yes Israel Package Basic Subscription cost and I really can't help saying that it is unbelievable that such a high cost can carry on without anybody, especially our respected members of Parliament (Knesset) would lift a finger to help those poor old age pensioners who need to pay 193.33 NIS ($55) a month for channels that are overpriced, not very interesting and which quite a few can be watched anyway using an FTA receiver and a single dish pointing to Amos 4W, Nilesat 7W and Hot Bird 13E.

At these hard times when their pension goes mostly on the ever increasing food prices and on medical care (medicine mostly) and their only entertainment is watching TV, minimizing the basic subscription cost should be a national project in order to help them out and also the ever increasing low income families.
To top it all, there is no discount for OAP whatsoever. )(-red

Here is a list of all the channels in the basic subscription. I have grouped them according to the FTA capabilities or any relevant comments about their added values.

The Shopping Channel
This is an advertising channel and it should be either free or deleted from the package.

Channel 2
IBA Channel 1
IBA Channel 33
Israel 10
Knesset Channel
Middle East TV
These channels are FTA on Amos 4W

Al Jazeera English
ARTE Français
BBC World
CCTV 9
Fashion TV
France 24 English
These channels are FTA on Hot Bird 13E

BBC Prime Europe
Well, this is probably the best thing that they have in the basic package, but they downgrade the quality of video and audio and strip the transmitted teletext.
Can be watched using a DTH subscription at much lower cost.

Education 23
Israel Plus
Mikan
Yes Docu
Yes News mosaic
Yes Sport mosaic
These are part of the Yes package and should be free of charge or split them in various relevant options.

Cartoon Network Middle East
CNN International Europe
Daystar TV
ESPN Israel
Eurosport
Hallmark Channel Israel
Hop!
Jetix Israel
Kids Channel
MGM Movies
MTV Europe
Music 24
National Geographic Channel Israel
Nickelodeon
Sky News International
Sport 5
TCM Middle East
VH1 Europe A
Viva
Yes Stars 3
These channels can be included in various dedicated options like
News
Sport
Music
Cinema
Children
Education
etc., as shown below

Children
Cartoon Network Middle East
Hop!
Jetix Israel
Kids Channel
Nickelodeon

News
CNN International Europe
Sky News Internationa
l

Sport
ESPN Israel
Eurosport
Sport 5

Cinema
Hallmark Channel Israel
MGM Movies
TCM Middle East

Music
MTV Europe
Music 24
VH1 Europe A

Education
National Geographic Channel Israel

Series
Viva
Daystar TV
Yes Stars 3

and then add few NIS to each option as a result of the addition so that a subscriber who is a news addict can choose only the news option and pay a little bit more for those channels that are now in the basic.

There are many subscribers who don't have children, not interested in sport or news in foreign languages, so why should they pay for something that they don't need?

My suggestion is to abolish the basic package completely, give the subscribers the flexibility to build his subscription according to few major options, just like the German Premiere Package.
This way he would pay only for what he needs and get a good value for his money.

I believe that if Yes can adapt this method, they can attract a lot of new subscribers who are reluctant to subscribe because of the outrageous basic cost.
And for all those who are already a subscriber, I urge you to think again about what you are getting and if it is worth it and to start complaining if you think that you are not getting good value for your money.

Edit: In addition, as a result of the NIS getting stronger than the $US, the cost in $US has gone up from $47 only few months ago to $55 without giving the subscribers any discount as a result, although they pay the producers of films and series less money in NIS than before, so their profit has also gone up appreciably.

purplehorse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db 500s
My Location
M.E.
hi HB13DISH,

It would be much more effective if
you publish the post in Israeli forums.

Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hi purplehorse,
You are absolutely right, but there aren't any Israeli f o r u m s that I would like to join.
And please don't give a list, as it is against the rules to discuss other
f o r u m s. :)

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S. HTPC with Sky Star HD Card. Viaccess CAM for Swiss channels on Hotbird 13E.
My Location
Israel
HB13DISH said:
I took another look at the Yes Israel Package Basic Subscription cost and I really can't help saying that it is unbelievable that such a high cost can carry on without anybody, especially our respected members of Parliament (Knesset) would lift a finger to help those poor old age pensioners who need to pay 193.33 NIS ($55) a month for channels that are overpriced, not very interesting and which quite a few can be watched anyway using an FTA receiver and a single dish pointing to Amos 4W, Nilesat 7W and Hot Bird 13E.

I find it always very interesting how much the average person here in Israel is willing to spend for TV, Internet and Mobilephones.

I know some families who pay unbelievable prices for having more then one receiver at home.
No one even thinks about getting another receiver then the ones from YES or HOT. For most it is just the way the cookie crumbles.

I guess as long people are happy the Knesset guys will talk about other stuff.

Thanks for the list of the channels.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello torusJKL and welcome to the forum. :)

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Xadesh xadesh :)

what about the Georgian channel in YES package? people dying here to watch it (just for curiosity)....

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BombedOne said:
Xadesh xadesh :)

what about the Georgian channel in YES package? people dying here to watch it (just for curiosity)....

This channel GTV is not included in the Yes Basic. It is an option that costs few dollars a month.
I don't know where it is originally coming from (which satellite), but I suppose that it would be easy for you to pick it up in Europe.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
thought you could get yes sport on this package

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mikeisyou said:
thought you could get yes sport on this package

Do you mean Sport 5 ?
It is already in the list.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
dont worry i think yes sport isnt from israel, was searching it on the net and its from Ukraine and romania

Nadyro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie.
My Location
Israel
We finally decided to kill our outrageously overpriced Hot subscription and switch to a satellite dish. Unfortunately, we really have no idea where to start, what equipment we need, where from... Could anybody point us in the right direction? Thanks a lot.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Nadyro said:
We finally decided to kill our outrageously overpriced Hot subscription and switch to a satellite dish. Unfortunately, we really have no idea where to start, what equipment we need, where from... Could anybody point us in the right direction? Thanks a lot.

What are you intending replacing it with, did you not have something in mind before pulling the plug?.
I assume you intend putting a dish and lnb up but again what are you intending watching what are your preferences?

Nadyro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie.
My Location
Israel
Topper said:
What are you intending replacing it with, did you not have something in mind before pulling the plug?.
I assume you intend putting a dish and lnb up but again what are you intending watching what are your preferences?

Thank you for replying, Topper. We haven't pulled the plug yet - we are just looking into other options. We basically would like Romanian, American and British channels, for news, documentaries, talk shows and movies/series. I know that Israel's location, however, is not ideal for our preferences and we would settle for basically any English channels that we can get easily and at a lower cost (without a huge initial investment and/or an oversized dish).

The problem is we are utterly clueless as to how this works, what providers/installers there are here and where/how to find them, how we go about subscribing to channels of interest, what the options are, what equipment we need etc. Yes, we are extremely newbies, although otherwise very technologically literate. What we do know is that there are other ways to get TV broadcasts into our home, without paying 75 USD for a subscription that offers mostly uninteresting channels (including shopping channels and such). What we don't know (at all) is what these ways are.

I know, from experience, how frustrating it can be to explain the basics over and over again, especially since at your level, this information seems so obvious and readily available. Yet, I would appreciate it very much if anybody could take the time for a brief and basic explanation; it would make a huge difference in our lives and budget.

Thank you!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Nadyro said:

Glad to hear it.
Possible satellites in our area are
Amos 4W
Hot Bird 13E
Nilesat 7W
Astra 19E (1M)
and others
It all depends on what do you want to watch.
Don't let the installers talk you into buying FTA receivers, as this will limit your viewing flexibility.
You will need a good receiver from well known brands like Topfield and it should have at least one common Interface slot so that you can add a subscription if you wish. For example an adult subscription card encrypted in Viaccess, you will need Viaccess CAM module.
Go for a large dish size, if you can at least 1.8m, although 1.2m is a good size.
Take few days to weigh things up, and choose a good installer with reputation instead of a cheap one.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
You will find that disconnecting from HOT will not be an easy task, so good luck. You are going to need it. :)
I suggest that you would go over the satellites in our area and see the channels and the packages that they have.
_http://www.lyngsat.com
_http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
To see the package content, click on the "P" icon
You can forget about British and American channels.
You can subscribe to BBC Prime, but you must be tired already of all the repeats and the lack of new features.
The alternative is to subscribe to a foreign package that have some channels with dual audio and select original language (whenever this is transmitted), assuming that you and other members of the family don't need Hebrew translation and your English is good.
I have a Polish package which has about 50 channels in Polish but at least 10 channels with dual audio and I am quite happy with their programming and the monthly cost. They keep me happy all the time. But they are going to raise the cost in July, no idea by how much.
For this you will need a Seca (Mediaguard) receiver.
If for example you buy such a subscription and a dedicated receiver (only 50 euro+shipment), you can then negotiate with the installers only regarding the dish, something that they would not like as they expect to make a profit on the receiver.
I have two dishes made of aluminum and I am quite happy with them.
Your apartment (unless you live in a private house) should point to the south. Just look at any Yes dishes in the vicinity and you should have your dishes point in that direction.