Newbie Here 19.2e and 13e on zone 2 dish - lnb spacing?

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
I apologise in advance for such a basic question.
Read lots of great advice here, thanks.
Setup new zone 2 dish to 19.2e great signal and quality, I am very pleased, thanks.
I have a multi lnb holder and additional lnb (quad). So I had a quick try to get 13e.
I couldn't get a signal let alone quality. I was very pleased to get 19.2e working so decided not to push my luck today :)

So standing in front of the dish pointing to 19.2e which side should the 13e lnb be, I think it's on right?

I tried using this equation:
d(distance between centre of lnbs)= L(focal length, dish to lnb 330mm) x tan(a)(19.2-13 =6.2) to find distance between lnb centres.
This works out at 35.8mm between lnb centers. The feed horns on my lnbs are 60mm so there is no way I can get the centres 35.8 mm away from each other.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need different lnbs?
Thanks for any help.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You could try focussing on 13e and offset 19e. Looking at the dish, the 19e feed will be to the left. I have uploaded a set up guide in the dish set up section somewhere.

If on 19e then 13e would be to the right facing the dish face. Dont forget to account for the elevation difference. In my first example, raise the lnb slightly. It's basically a mirror image.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
I currently have a Sky zone 2 (mk3) dish with a triple 28/19/13 lnb set up with the focus on 19 east. The original Mti single LNB that came with the dish is 60mm wide at the cap is too big to accommodate an extra lnb some six degrees off it, though I have seen some less than perfect results in place. In my case, I've used an lnb converter for the dish for it to accept standard 40mm neck lnbs, and used two Inverto eco lnbs (with the green caps) along with a cheap universal multi lnb bracket to have all three lnbs on the dish. The Inverto eco lnbs have a cap that is 48mm wide, and the two sit right next to each other. The Hotbird lnb sits a fraction bit lower down next to the Astra 1 lnb, due to Hotbird being slightly higher in the arc. A little bit of experimenting will find the sweet spot, in particular adjusting the lnbs focal length from the dish. Don't forget to also skew the lnbs correctly - this is especially important for many DVB-S2 transponders.

The use of standard 40mm lnbs on Sky oval dishes isn't ideal as they won't focus properly on the entire dish area at the centre focal point, but in practice should work OK especially when a Zone 2 dish is used in a Zone 1 area at least for the centre focal point. (My own set up is giving good results even in moderate rain, but I am perhaps pushing the limits of what I already have and might look at something in the 80cm range later on for my location.) I'm not sure how big the new mk4 quad lnbs by zinwell are at the lnb cap and how they perform as an offset. Might get a couple in future to test. But if I get the chance, I'll try and get a photo tomorrow to show what I mean above.

Last edited:

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
You could try focussing on 13e and offset 19e. Looking at the dish, the 19e feed will be to the left. I have uploaded a set up guide in the dish set up section somewhere.

If on 19e then 13e would be to the right facing the dish face. Dont forget to account for the elevation difference. In my first example, raise the lnb slightly. It's basically a mirror image.
Cheers for that. I have read most of the installation guides even the motor ones as you never know where a great tip may come from. Thanks for your help, I may have another go this afternoon as the weather looks good.
Thanks

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
I currently have a Sky zone 2 (mk3) dish with a triple 28/19/13 lnb set up with the focus on 19 east. The original Mti single LNB that came with the dish is 60mm wide at the cap is too big to accommodate an extra lnb some six degrees off it, though I have seen some less than perfect results in place. In my case, I've used an lnb converter for the dish for it to accept standard 40mm neck lnbs, and used two Inverto eco lnbs (with the green caps) along with a cheap universal multi lnb bracket to have all three lnbs on the dish. The Inverto eco lnbs have a cap that is 48mm wide, and the two sit right next to each other. The Hotbird lnb sits a fraction bit lower down next to the Astra 1 lnb, due to Hotbird being slightly higher in the arc. A little bit of experimenting will find the sweet spot, in particular adjusting the lnbs focal length from the dish. Don't forget to also skew the lnbs correctly - this is especially important for many DVB-S2 transponders.

The use of standard 40mm lnbs on Sky oval dishes isn't ideal as they won't focus properly on the entire dish area at the centre focal point, but in practice should work OK especially when a Zone 2 dish is used in a Zone 1 area at least for the centre focal point. (My own set up is giving good results even in moderate rain, but I am perhaps pushing the limits of what I already have and might look at something in the 80cm range later on for my location.) I'm not sure how big the new mk4 quad lnbs by zinwell are at the lnb cap and how they perform as an offset. Might get a couple in future to test. But if I get the chance, I'll try and get a photo tomorrow to show what I mean above.

Great info, thanks very much. Must admit I was thinking that my 2 lnb's (new Zinwell Octo, and older quad) have 60mm caps so I would not be able to get 19.2 and 13 with the bits I have.
I only got the zone 2 to get RTL on 19.2 so I can watch the F1. The multi lnb bracket thoughts only came after I started reading here :)
I may try and have another go today as weather is looking good. Now I know 13e lnb is to the right and a little lower I may persevere. Although my lnb's may not be possible on my zone 2, it's worth a play though :)
Thanks