Advice Needed 4.2.2 feeds - recording and converting to viewable format for E2 playback.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
today, i have worked out that you can convert a recording of a 4.2.2 stream using VLC - by going to media \ convert, and choosing the source recording from your satbox, and then outputting to a subsequent .TS file but using a "1080p profile" stream mp4. .TS

it got me thinking has anyone else done this - and if they might be using something better than VLC to do the conversion, to maybe get a lossless output as opposed to a compressed mpg stream.

thanks

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If it was lossless it'd still be 4:2:2. If you put the original 4:2:2 file on a USB stick or SD card can your TV play it? If yes and your TV has a web browser maybe you can access the receivers webIF and play it directly from there?

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
Yeah that's true. Didn't think of that. Maybe what I've done then is the best thing to do then. I know it batters my CPU during the conversion depending on length of recording. Can't really fault the conversion tbf. Fyi an Amazon cube plays 4.2.2 content (recordings) but rather choppy so not really watchable. However I've only tried one hd 4.2.2 recording. Havent had much luck viewing 4.2.2 via Kodi pvr client add-on. Again plays quite choppy even non hd content.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
today, i have worked out that you can convert a recording of a 4.2.2 stream using VLC - by going to media \ convert, and choosing the source recording from your satbox, and then outputting to a subsequent .TS file but using a "1080p profile" stream mp4. .TS

it got me thinking has anyone else done this - and if they might be using something better than VLC to do the conversion, to maybe get a lossless output as opposed to a compressed mpg stream.

thanks

If you have a DVB card in your PC you can record the 4:2:2 satellite signal using VLC or view it in real time.
If recorded, you can then play back at a later date with VLC.