Advice Needed 4g external antenna

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Quelle fromage :oops:

Indeed...though I suppose if you are supplied with a sim, they are bound to attach a number to it...but I found it misleading to say the least. Ah well, back to the camembert...

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
^^^ You chose a data-only plan, and 100% correctly ...got data-only :O)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
You chose a data-only plan, and 100% correctly ...got data-only :O)

So why am I supplied with a number??

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Flip, that's expensive to not include a phone line. If the socket is disabled then presumably it can be re-enabled. But at what cost even assuming they offer it? Does this mean that you no longer have a landline phone? Or was your area not completely dégrouped and you still had a twisted pair connection?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
So why am I supplied with a number??

The sim in the router has \ needs a number to work, and that number uniquely identifies your plan \ billing \ contract vs the network provider.

I've got a data-only sim as a twin to my normal mobile sim. Even as tied to my mobile plan it got it's own number.
Without any number there would be no way of communication \ no activation \ no nothing.

Think of it this way: 0712345678 has sent a url request to youtube > 0712345678 has received 10Mb from youtube.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Flip, that's expensive to not include a phone line. If the socket is disabled then presumably it can be re-enabled. But at what cost even assuming they offer it? Does this mean that you no longer have a landline phone? Or was your area not completely dégrouped and you still had a twisted pair connection?

It's a mobile number because the offer is 4G. We still have a landline (degrouped and voip but using the existing landline number through Orange) but will probably cancel the contract in due course. TBH, we rarely get genuine calls and it would be good to lose the spam calls. It's not much more expensive than our current broadband contract that gets us a max of 1.5Mbs. There's no real prospect of getting fibre for the next few years and the thought of increasing our speed to over 40Mbs was too much of a draw.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Flip, that's expensive to not include a phone line.

For monthly illimited 4g internet use, it's very decent imo. Am thinking their opinion of 'illimited' is around 1000 Gb, which should suffice :O)

But if one does not want or need illimited, the alternative is to get a normal mobile plan + added data-sim to put in a router (one would have to buy). As a reference, my 70 Gb F \ 30 Gb EU + call\sms costs 30 euros, am very happy (making good use of the 30 Gb while in Norway). 70 Gb fine for the moment, but if I were to start streaming a lot, Netflix etc, I'd very quickly sign up to their 4g box (if available in my area).

And btw, finally got around to ditching the fixed line some time ago, zero regret and a saving that pays half of the monthly mobile\internet bill.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
F

And btw, finally got around to ditching the fixed line some time ago, zero regret and a saving that pays half of the monthly mobile\internet bill.

Wise fellow.

I ported my fixed line number to a VOIP host, which not only saved the monthly "rental" but gave me continuity and virtually free worldwide calls.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Getting offtopic here, but found this site listing UK mobile prices, so many good plans \ good prices available over there.

Germany f.ex. looks way more expensive

LeBelge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Triax TD 110, 2x Edision OS Mio 4K (plus), Edision OS Mini 4K, Edision OS Nino Pro
My Location
Belguim
It may well be an incompatibility issue but I'm a bit (completely) clueless as to the type of phone I could use in conjunction with the 4G box. Any ideas?

Do you know that ?

I use 1 of these SIP servers for cheap VoIP calls to Europe with a Grandstream IP phone, connected to the router/ modem

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Please tell me Sony didn't sell off that trademark ?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, I've got the Poynting Omnidirectional antenna erected on the side of the porch, using an old 90 degree mast. There's a definite improvement over the internal antenna, though it hasn't gone up by a huge amount. Can't complain about the results though....

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
an updated 4g map of France

These maps are ok in and around cities + many roads, apart from that it's approximative guessing based on assumed behaviour of towers.
No factual measurements.

F.ex. at my place there should be no Bouygues 4g for 10's of km around, but it's good, and been like that for years, with empty maps.
Same map over many years shows an excellent Orange 3g, got sim and testing regularly, coverage useless in reality.

Signal levels tell only part of the story, one may see 2Mb\s with full level 4g, and 15Mb\s with low level 3g, operator network capacity as important as coverage levels. If not in some obvious spot, testing sims from all operators (well, apart from Free...) is the way to go.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
F.ex. at my place there should be no Bouygues 4g for 10's of km around, but it's good

Agreed, I think the map is a bit out of date. My place shows no 4G coverage, yet....

BednaR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4G sim
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Hello!

I just got myself a 4g signal booster and need some advice. It came with an external antenna and an internal repeater antenna.

Rightly or wrongly - I didnt use the internal antenna but instead I connected it straight into my 4g mobile sim router via SMA antenna port.

I usually get 10-20mb speed on the routers internal antennas, but only 3 bars signal. With that new antenna plugged in, I got 5 bars (full) but no internet...

My question is, can the booster be plugged directly into the sim router? If so - why did I lose the internet connection?

The only thing I can do is to play with the location/ direction of the external antenna but would that be it? Or am I missing a trick here?

Will play a bit longer tomorrow with the direction of the external antenna.

Thanks!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Did it come in a box with about 15m of ready made cable ?

BednaR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4G sim
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Did it come in a box with about 15m of ready made cable ?
Hi. Yes it did and about 3m cable for a "mushroom" repeater antenna. I plugged the external antenna to the powered booster, and then straight into the router, omitting the "mushroom" internal antenna. Bars are up to max now... but download is dead in the water.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Many of the older style transmitters will be active on only the 3G bands with some of them from the Far East only being compatible to the regional frequencies, which are not part of the UK spectrum

A picture of the antenna that was supplied with the kit should identify the rough span of the system you have bought.

BednaR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4G sim
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Many of the older style transmitters will be active on only the 3G bands with some of them from the Far East only being compatible to the regional frequencies, which are not part of the UK spectrum

A picture of the antenna that was supplied with the kit should identify the rough span of the system you have bought.
It should be ok as it was marked as a tri-band. I attached some photos. Antenna is nothing to write home about ...standard plastic encased one.

For the time being I'll keep on trying different locations with this one and maybe try to connect the antenna directly to the router omitting the booster box to compare the results... but I really dont understand why the little fins (internal antenna) can get internet in - but this one drops to almost non existing. Potentially it's actually 0 as the remaining internet might be coming in from the 2nd antenna port on the router?

I'm new to all this so I have more and more questions with every comparison test I run ‍♂️

Attachments

• 1589535561738.jpg
    1589535561738.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 11