Just Sharing This 5g - buying into it ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

I would rather echos, colour loss and sparklies.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pointless for the consumer. Way too expensive and 4G is generally more than enough.

Bring back Nokia 3310. Oh... wait...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I barely use my 4g as it is, given it was meant to be the saviour of those who can't get or afford land-based 'superfast' broadband, it's rather become a bit of a luxury as you can't really get that much bang for your buck if you wanted to use it for a home or business network...

I miss having the unlimited tethering Three had years back, but that was massively abused by serial downloaders clogging up the bandwidth... <_<

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I have genuine concerns about the long term health effects of this s#*t as it's been pushed out with very little knowledge, plus yip Captain Jack & 2cvbloke are spot on, 4G was meant to a solution to non "cabled" areas ect. It's faster here for me (40mb down 10 up) than my fibre optic is.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It would be nice if they would concentrate on covering the country with 2G before they run all this additional crap out. There are still areas round here where there is no signal. The idea of the A & B roads being covered with 4 G for the emergency services is still a distant dream outside the towns in this area.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
It would be nice if they would concentrate on covering the country with 2G before they run all this additional crap out. There are still areas round here where there is no signal. The idea of the A & B roads being covered with 4 G for the emergency services is still a distant dream outside the towns in this area.
Shocking, given how stretched the emergency services are you'd think things like that would be a priority, but then again, wouldn't be making them as much money no doubt.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont get the 4G rollout for the public and emergency services mixed up, apart from - some - tower sharing they are entirely different beasts.

If only GSM and a low frequency / subterranean combo had been rolled out for the emergency services when the last government had a chance, but as you say, profit talks and ESMCP never disappoints in that department. Airwave was an unmitigated disaster, not least because of the PPP that came with the price tag of the equipment, the taxpayer is still covering the interest and the keeping it alive some 10 years after it should have been taken out the back and shot.

The 'cutting edge technology' in the ESN promotions has - IMO - a hint of things to come, in a Skynet sort of way.

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 stab motor with VU+ SOLO 4k, dm800, prof 7500
My Location
earth
expect 4g to deteriorate. 3g used to be fine then once 4g took off any 3g only device became painfully slow.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yes well what a coincidence that the launch of the 5g network in NW England last Thursday coincided with a sustantial part of the NHS computer infrastructure and telephone systems going down, i phoned my surgery for an urgent appointment 132 times in just over 1 hour 15 minutes

Last edited:

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
In Norway, 3G beeing fased out, will be gone before long. 2G and 4G to be kept and strengthened, while 5G will (slowly) be deployed in larger cities.

In France, seems they want to keep everything running while planning 5G. (btw, finally got 4G here in my remote valley, main practical difference to the previous 3G is the faster ping, makes everything snappier).

edit: won't care too much for the possible higher 5G speed (vs a good 4G), but the announced minimal ping would be valuable.
Currently using only mobile internet, no lines \ fibre, low price of monthly GB's much more interesting than faster speed.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I tried posting this earlier, couldn't log on.

The NAO inferring a screw up of royal proportions.

Ooops! ESN is unlikely to work well (if at all) when communicating with helicopters. :-doh

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Luddites. I'll bet that nearly all the objectors have absolutely no idea of what frequencies are involved.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Luddites. I'll bet that nearly all the objectors have absolutely no idea of what frequencies are involved.

Time to manufacture another containers worth of foil underpants.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Time to manufacture another containers worth of foil underpants.

Why not go the whole hog and give them a full suit, only having conveniently mislaid any breathing apparatus and supergluing the numpties inside?? :-rofl2

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
It will be forced despite any legitimate concerns

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It will be forced despite any legitimate concerns

That is true, unless another technology comes along that provides similar, or better bandwidth capacity.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
well, I disagree with the rollout of 5g until they can prove it is safe. The snooping capabilities of this tech are potentially scary