all genuine viasat satellite hd boxes did not show 3pm today

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
english sky, spiderbox 7000, 1.1m triax dish with tm2600 motor, Acer Aspire 5542
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, North West England
Must be something to do with sky as I spoke to my contact in Latvia who rang viasat n he said they weren't aware of any issues

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
jdseasider said:
Must be something to do with sky as I spoke to my contact in Latvia who rang viasat n he said they weren't aware of any issues
so you are saying that there there were no probs with the pl hd channel and viasat extra channels in latvia. i cannot see sky having much influence in the matter but the premier league would be able to pull some strings. they will be breaking the law though as there will be genuine Latvian living in the uk who will be affected. and as we all know that would be against the human rights to restrict their viewing. i have spoken to laywers at the mti groupe which owns viasat. and i know they are being pressured by the premier league. i know not what they are using as a carrot but it seems to be working.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
hi sorry for going about this but it do affect a lot of people. i find it hard to believe that viasat know where every satellite box is being used. so how could they disable all those cards from all the country's that provide viasat without innocent parties getting caught up. i have a theory that no doubt some one with more technical knowledge will shoot down. i know viasat updates software via the satellite signal, because none of the viasat boxes in the uk are connect to the internet or telephone line. but many of the boxes in the uk updated themselves with a new epg a couple of weeks ago. this is not the reason for the boxes going down yesterday, as i got a new one out of the box with the old epg and it was locked strait away. but my question is could they sent out a software update on a spot beam which could not be picked up outside the footprint. and could they develop a software update to render the boxes useless at 3 pm. do any one have a software version that was working at 3 pm.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
davemurgtroyd said:
Have you actually read the ruling which merely clarified the existing position that it is not illegal to sell subscriptions cross border within the EU however it does not and cannot force broadcasters to do so. The terms and conditions within the contract you enter into when purchasing such a subscription are not illegal and thus are legally enforceable under civil law. You are breaking those terms and conditions in at least two ways - firstly using them outside the territory to which the broadcaster is selling them and secondly by using private subscriptions in commercial premises. You are also breaking copyright law, which although it does not apply to live action does apply to copyright full screen logos, action replays and any music used in the broadcast, by showing that to the general public.

so why has every case brought against my customers been dropped, i have had over 70 letters threatening to take my customers to court but under challenge from my solicitors every one has been dropped, if what you are saying is true then this would not be the case.

again, contracts are meaningless, the content in them has to adhere to law and the current law is unclear and until the UK ruling on Dec 16th it will remain so.

Not one single person has been prosecuted for showing an EU broadcast match since the Karen Murphy case....and if the rumours are true, the FA is also set to lose the decision on copyright infringement concerning logos.

What has the territory got to do with it? That has been the whole arguing point of the EU court case, it is not for the FAPL to decide where the games can be shown, that is governed by EU law.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Moosegoose, I haven't got a subscription so I can only comment from a theoretical point of view. If a whole block of cards has been sold to one company the chances are they are selectively switching off blocks of cards. If they don't get any complaint it makes it even more obvious that those cards are not being used by people in a position to complain. Anyway what they might be doing is something like this: if the system is anything like Sky the receivers ring back to base every so often, but if they are abroad they can't because the telephone number of the broadcaster is hard coded. So a box away from home can't call in. So maybe any box that hasn't called in for 'x' number of days gets switched off for 3pm's. The easy way to get round it is put the card in a Linux receiver and once it is working switch off emm card updates. That way even if they do send out a signal to modify entitlements they will be ignored and the card will continue to function.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
thanks for that information huevos i have a spare box and card and i have a dm 800se. are you saying just leave it in the card reader and it will reactivate in time.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moosegoose said:
are you saying just leave it in the card reader and it will reactivate in time.
No. What I am saying is to stop a card watching a 3pm the entitlements must be temporarily removed and reinstated later in the day. If you put a card that already has entitlements into a Linux box and tell the softcam to ignore emm's the card won't receive the removal of entitlements and so will continue to function regardless.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
leehill said:
so why has every case brought against my customers been dropped, i have had over 70 letters threatening to take my customers to court but under challenge from my solicitors every one has been dropped, if what you are saying is true then this would not be the case.
The cases have been dropped because it is a matter of civil law and not criminal law. There is no penalty under criminal law per se but penalties could be applicable under civil law and the least would be termination of the service with no recompense. However if civil action in court was taken and succesful against the landlords particularly for copyright issues then there could also be objections to those landlords licenses as not being a fit person having shown their contempt for civil law. I am not saying this will happen but merely what is possible by the EPL and others against landlords who flaunt contract law.

again, contracts are meaningless, the content in them has to adhere to law and the current law is unclear and until the UK ruling on Dec 16th it will remain so.
Again the "offense" at present is not a matter of criminal law. There is nothing whatsoever illegal about a contract stipulating how and where a service can be used. The only difference that could happen on Dec 16th would be that breaches of contracts could be made a criminal offence (which I think highly unlikely) or that breaches of copyright could be made a criminal offence instead of civil law at present.

Not one single person has been prosecuted for showing an EU broadcast match since the Karen Murphy case....and if the rumours are true, the FA is also set to lose the decision on copyright infringement concerning logos.
Again probably because at present it is not a criminal offense

What has the territory got to do with it? That has been the whole arguing point of the EU court case, it is not for the FAPL to decide where the games can be shown, that is governed by EU law.
Agreed it is not down to EPL/FA but a broadcaster can legally decide where and to whom he sells his service and if people fraudulently enter into contracts (via agents or themselves giving false addresses) then they can completely legally remove access to that service. The recent ruling has not forced them to sell to anyone in the EU but merely clarified that it is legal for them to do so if they wish.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
Huevos said:
No. What I am saying is to stop a card watching a 3pm the entitlements must be temporarily removed and reinstated later in the day. If you put a card that already has entitlements into a Linux box and tell the softcam to ignore emm's the card won't receive the removal of entitlements and so will continue to function regardless.
ok i get what you mean if not the tech stuff. there is a problem though yes as you say they must reinstate the entitlements for the pl hd channel. but at present the pl extra channels are locked all the time. this may be because they are only ever used for 3pm ko on Saturdays. so there is no need for the provider to reinstate cards.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moosegoose said:
at present the pl extra channels are locked all the time. this may be because they are only ever used for 3pm ko on Saturdays.
Well maybe they do this to all cards that haven't called home for a while. If that is true the answer might be a VoIP phone with a local number in the source country.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
most of the boxes and cards that came into the uk are prepaid 12 or 24 month subs. i would have thought genuine customers in the intended footprint would pay monthly for there services. so may be they have just targeted prepaid cards. may be i will find out this morning what has happened.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
It could always just have been a cock up.

Like I said earlier, some reported the PL channel on a different package didn't work either.

knee555

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dbox
My Location
Wales
Hi

has anyone had any updates on this yet? I have been told it was a sofware issue at Viasat and the cards need to be refreshed.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
They are working on a new software update it will need to be a manual update prob using the usb if it comes out before sat we will not know if it works until 3pm sat.

leemot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
blade 7000, orbital 1m,cryptic motor
My Location
MANCHESTER
Just been told by a reliable source he has been informed by viasat the latvia xtra PL channels are gone for good ???not shure about the others i.e sweden, lithuania

knee555

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dbox
My Location
Wales
Hope this is not the case. This is all thats been keeping some pubs open around Wales!!!

If it has gone for good what is the alternative, if any?

Kevin

leemot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
MANCHESTER
knee555 said:
Hope this is not the case. This is all thats been keeping some pubs open around Wales!!! If it has gone for good what is the alternative, if any? Kevin
hes finding out for me tomorrow if they are still going to have 1x 3pm game on prem hd channel still! alternative is keep viasat they can still show games sky do and go underground with a tring for 3pm ko not great but cheapest option

knee555

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dbox
My Location
Wales
what satellite is tring on? does it show ALL 3.00 pm kick offs?

leemot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
MANCHESTER
16 degrees eutelsat 1m dish to be safe 4 dedicated sports channels a nightmare card depending on who you get it off 3pm games can be a bit hit and miss its albanian so use very carefully as not in EU !!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
leemot said:
1.. so use very carefully as not in EU !!

i.e, not in EU so any EU rulings do not apply, and a pub can thus be prosecuted for using a Tring card. DO NOT USE!!

Would have thought a Sky Calcio card would be a better option, as long as its not run in a Sky Italia Box, to avoid card numbers being shown.