Just Sharing This Andrei Sokolov - Artist to the Stars

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A link to his work, background and stamp collection (in Russian)

The family estate is currently selling some of his illustrations/paintings on Ebay.

The author Andrey Sokolov was born in 1931 in Leningrad. His father was one of the leading developers of the launch facility Baikonur. Educated as architect and studied art in Moscow Architectural Institute, Sokolov participated in art exhibitions since 1955 as science fiction artist. Since childhood the artist liked fiction of Jules Verne, Belyaeva, Tsiolkovsky, Bradbury. Sokolov devoted his first sci-fi paintings to Bradbury's novel "Fahrenheit 451". After the launch of Sputnik in 1957 all his creativity was directed to the theme of space exploration.

He worked closely with the cosmonauts, particularly with his friend cosmonaut Alexey Leonov who has collaborated with Sokolov on a number of projects, assisting with the realistic depiction of views from orbit as the one who has seen them. Sokolov was a member of the Russian Union of Artists where he became The Chairman of the Cosmic Group. He had numerous exhibitions in the Soviet Union and abroad, including the U.S., West Germany, Holland and Japan. His art works have been published in many books and magazines, including Air and Space, and in seven books of his own (some done in collaboration with Alexey Leonov). Many Sokolov's paintings were used for the Soviet posters, postcards and postal stamps.

"Space exploration", said Sokolov, "is the most impressive achievement of mankind; it's the forefront of human knowledge, the chief and the only theme of my artistic activity in space, the Universe, and cosmonautics."

Andrey Sokolov died in March 2007. His works are presented in many museums and private collections. For example, The National Air and Space Museum, a part of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., has the collection of works by Sokolov and Leonov.