Just Sharing This Another inflation busting price increase from virgin media is on it's way.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I'm getting tired of this now.

Whinging on an internet forum wont do any good - there is only one way to stop profiteering like this & thats cancel - and tell them WHY you are leaving. And be firm - dont be tempted back with a nice offer.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I am giving them another 12 months rang them 2 weeks ago said I was going to Sky as the had offered phone,Internet & TV for £29,
Got nowhere at 1st just left me on hold for 20 min,

So the next day I rang again & spoke to a nice Scottish Women in Glasgow & got my bill down to £42 a month back dated for 3 months when my original caontract expired so for the next 3 months I am paying £24 a month,

When this contract expires I intend to find another provider for Intenet & Phone as I do not need TV with my current set up + FreeSat & FreeView,

So what are the best options for Internet & Phone speaking to my friends some tell me Talk Talk is OK other say it is crap, Other tell me Sky is OK for Internet & Phone others tell me don't go to Sky,

Anyone have an idea of what will be my best move ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So what are the best options for Internet & Phone speaking to my friends some tell me Talk Talk is OK other say it is crap, Other tell me Sky is OK for Internet & Phone others tell me don't go to Sky,

Anyone have an idea of what will be my best move ?

Do you have any Fixed Wireless Access providers in your area?

Ours is fast, cheap and my old-tech "Landline" number was ported to a VOIP provider, so no "Rental". Best move ever.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It's quite interesting that people get up in arms about not having Fibre, and Politicians making crazy promises about it (even though it was an issue as far back as the mid 1980s when I briefly worked for BT) because it's already outdated: FWA and/or 5G should be the focus now.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
What is your usage for making phone calls and during what times? I'm with EE and our 18 month contract finished the other day. This also coincided with a recent £2 a month price increase. They wanted to raise the monthly fee to about £36 - £37pcm but in the end I bargained them down to £32pcm.

For that I get the mid-range speed of their first fibre offering (Download Speed between 35.5 Mb/s and 36.4 Mb/s) and anytime local, national, mobile and selected countries calls (Calls to UK landlines starting 01, 02, 03, 1,500 minutes per month to call UK mobile numbers (excluding Jersey, Guernsey & Isle of Man) and calls to selected international standard landline numbers (see ee.co.uk/homepricing for countries), when using your landline at any time.). We do use our landline a lot for outgoing calls. I think we could save a couple of quid a month by forgoing the international call package but we do make some from time to time.

That's me sorted for the next 18 months.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Long since given up cable TV, but still have Virgin for internet and at 350 mbps it's hard to fault it, they do however put the price up and don't let you know if your package has been superceded by a cheaper version.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So, how do you find out what is a cheaper version, by asking or guessing by the number of hours without service ?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
Whinging on an internet forum wont do any good - there is only one way to stop profiteering like this & thats cancel - and tell them WHY you are leaving. And be firm - dont be tempted back with a nice offer.

Update: I called them and they said that I was not affected by the prise rise (I had got through to a UK call centre fortunately). When I pointed out that I had received an email saying otherwise, I was told that these were automatically sent out to everybody. I don't believe them as the email was personalised to the services that I have, so she agreed to put a note on my account to confirm what I was advised.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Left arm right arm etc, fill in the blanks