Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
Yes, but sporadic E is working mainly in HF or VHF bands, not in microwave I assume.
I used Sporadic E many times in the past for my QSO in 2 metres (144 MHz), and sometimes this propagation layer creates very short path (around 300-400 kilometers) in high HF bands (10 or 12 metres), and in 6 metres band too. Fantastic.
But all this has no relationship with satellite reception in Ku band I assume.
Back to my previous question, I do not understand why the same signal is stronger in a season (some months, not just one hour or two when Sporadic E is opened), and lower in a different season.
Also, there is no QSB (fading) as in the Sporadic E periods, so I do not believe it is the same situation. What do you think? Thanks.
It is the mention of variations in the satellite signal that is relevant not sporadic E.

" This is done by analyzing signal amplitude variations of the GPS L1 signal."

"experiments in Papua New Guinea which used co-located radiometer and satellite beacon receivers, detected diurnal and seasonal variations in the received satellite beacon signal level during clear sky that suggested the atmosphere played a role in the signal variation. These effects were termed as atmospheric tides, and could significantly affect the fade margin calculations in low margin systems. Additional evidence supporting the existence of atmospheric tides were found in several time series satellite propagation data collected from sites in North America and in Brazil. This showed that the atmospheric tides phenomenon also affects communications satellite links to temperate regions as well."

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
Thank you for your reply, now I understand. So, it is not Sporadic E but different atmospheric phenomenon. It would be very interesting understanding exactly what it is!

Nalleman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,8 Channel Master, Black Pro LNB with CM feedhorn for 28 E which is my main interest when watching TV. VU+ DUO 4K SE, VU+ DUO 2, Octagon SF8008 and Vantage 8000 S and TS receivers. Fixed dishes at: 42 E (0,75 m), 28,2/28,5 E (1,8 m), 19,2 E (1,5 m), 13 E (1,1 m), 9 E (0,7 m), 5 E (1,2 m) and 1 W (0,7 m).
My Location
Sweden
As said before: Quest SD is on 2F (12 382 H) and HD is on 2E (11 426 V). I have problems with 12 382 but no problems with 11 426. My dish points at 28,35 E (between 28,2 where 2F and 2G are and 28.5 where 2E is) to be able to get all three birds. 2E is the strongest, 2F the weakest and 2G slightly weaker than 2E. This is regarding the UK beams.
When it comes to the European beams 2G is the almost incredably strong, 2E strong and 2F pretty strong.
Since I stopped looping the signal through my Vantage 8000S I get 12129 V, 12168 V, 12226 H, 12363 V and 12382 H without problems on my VU+ Duo 2. All comes in at 9 - 9,9 dB and works even during quite heavy rain. Using a splitter I can get them on the Vantage too but the signal is weaker than on the VU+ meaning the tuner is better on the VU+. The only transponder I still have problems getting is 11053 H which only works under perfect conditions.

Harvey2nd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver: GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K
LNB: Dur-Line Wideband
Dish: Televes 120cm offset pointed to Astra1 and Astra2
My Location
47.7N, 10.3E, Kempten, S. Germany
My location is the south east of Germany (Northern Bavaria). Every year starting with the spring sun outage the signal degrades slowly until summer solistice and then picks up again to be strongest around XMas. No differece this year except theres a lot a thick cloud around this year.
Same here in southern Bavaria. In summer only loose the HD signals during heavy rains. And this with a 120cm dish.