Newbie Here Basic Newb questions re multi lnb

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
First off thanks for all the info that is here. I only wish I found it earlier :)
I am in Blackpool so northish, I am mainly interested in watching the F1 this year.
So after reading lots of sites decided I needed a dish pointing to 19.2E. So I ordered a zone 2 sky type mesh dish with quad lnb, a Inverto Multi-LNB Holder as I had a new quad lnb and a 4 way DiSEqC switch.

I intend to mount the new zone 2 dish with the 2 quad lnb's aiming centre lnb at 19.2E and other lnb at 16E. Then connect a feed of each plus my other dish (28.3E) into the DiSEqC swich and then a single cable to my Humax Foxsat HDR (which will have lnb 2 connected to the 28.2E dish 2nd output from it's quad lnb).

So my question is does the above seem reasonable or should I have done it a different way?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hello & welcome to the forum :)

You wont get 19E & 16E on a zone 2 dish - the lnb's need to be too close together.

16E is also quite a bit less powerful than 19E and needs a bigger dish for many of the channels.

Which 16E channels are you interested in?

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
Hello & welcome to the forum :)
You wont get 19E & 16E on a zone 2 dish - the lnb's need to be too close together.
16E is also quite a bit less powerful than 19E and needs a bigger dish for many of the channels.
Which 16E channels are you interested in?

Thanks for reply.
No idea on channels really :) I was just trying to maximise my options.
The only sport I want to watch is F1 or any motor racing for that matter. Other than that I would watch movies. Need English language as can't understand any other language :)

Is there somewhere that lists a sort of synopsis of what type of tv is on different sats/channels.
Even if I can only get 19.2E it will be fine but if I can get another sat that has reasonable programs on that would be great.

I see lots of peoples signature with lots of sats listed but I have no idea what programs are out there :) See I am very much a noob. I have set up a few 'sky' dishes up so I have a slight clue about setting up but lots and lots to learn.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We usually have a Topic running each Season about where to get Free F1 coverage, but it doesn't seem to have got going yet this year.

But I do recall TF1 (Suisse) on 9E had it previously.

Trouble is, Free-to-Air possibilities diminish as time goes by.

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
We usually have a Topic running each Season about where to get Free F1 coverage, but it doesn't seem to have got going yet this year.
But I do recall TF1 (Suisse) on 9E had it previously.
Trouble is, Free-to-Air possibilities diminish as time goes by.
Thanks.
I did read the previous 2 years Free F1 threads which were informative.
Free options are, as you say, reducing but at £40 even if I only get 1 season out of it its cheaper than Sky for 1 month!
Could I get 9E and 19.2E on same Zone 2 dish?

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah you want to see whats out there eh? Many of us started like that :D

Well theres channels from all over the world available in Europe. Not a huge amount of English programming available in the clear - although there area quite a few news channels around.

The easiest satellites to start with are the strongest ones

28E (the "Sky UK" satellite
19E
13E
5E European beam
5W
9E

are probably the strongest here in Europe.

Once you can find them and get a bit of experience the sky is literally the limit and we can get you chasing down such esoteric wonders as Uzbekistan TV, TV Georgia & TV Lebanon. (All in foreign languages but hey thats half the fun :D

The hobby for many of us is seeing what we can get and seeing if we can puch the limits of our equipment - I'll sit and happily channel hop for hours even on the channels where I cant speak more than a few words of the language and see if anything new has appeared.

There are a handful of websites that are useful to get to know your way around

www.lyngsat.com
http://en.kingofsat.net/news.php
www.flysat.com

KoS is especially useful if you learn how to use the search to filter results

http://en.kingofsat.net/search.php

And dont be afraid to ask questions here - we are a friendly bunch and will try to answer anything if you get stuck - theres not many situations our members wont have come across before :D

Theres only 1 real area we dont touch here - how to get pay tv services "free".

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
Cheers Analoguesat. Think I will start :D with 19.2E and 13E. I have an easy lnb and receiver that I can use to help me setup 19.2E and 13E. Nice strong big first floor flat roof to stand on to mount dish on wall, so I can have tv, decoder etc all on roof to help me setup :D. So I should be OK setting up. I have lots of images showing other peoples multi lnb setups to give me a clue as where to mount the extra lnb. Satpointer images will be printed and I have some good references to use as markers. I know next door had 19.2 as they had a Polish dish setup. They have same sized buildings behind them as I do so should be OK for signal.
Those websites you listed don't half have a lot of info, thanks.

Thanks very much. I will continue reading and learning here.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good luck - satellite tv is a great hobby, theres always something new to look at, even if its only some terrible low budget Italian shopping channel! :-rofl2

And on nice afternoons its lovely to be in the garden seeing if you can chase down that elusive frequency or satellite you aint seen before.

keep us in the loop how you are doing. :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
For 19.2E and 13E you might be better off buying a 6 degree Monoblock LNB: This was originally introduced for that exact purpose and means both LNB heads are in one fixed casing, making alignment simple (Relatively!).

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
For 19.2E and 13E you might be better off buying a 6 degree Monoblock LNB: This was originally introduced for that exact purpose and means both LNB heads are in one fixed casing, making alignment simple (Relatively!).
Thanks.
I did think of a monoblock but the ones I saw had a DiSEqC switch built in. I was guessing that if I wanted 28.2E (already connected) , 19.2E and 13E on one input for my Humax HDR I couldn't daisy chain DiSEqC switches.
But I am a noob so my thoughts might be completely wrong?

Been trying to find a definitive answer regarding Humax HDR and dual channel recording with DiSEqC switches / non freesat channels etc. Not sure if I will have to play with the modded firmware and channel editor?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I see your issue, having re-read your plan, and you're right about Cascading. Also DiSEqC is only functional on Input A.

Humax HDR Recording features are not altered by the Raydon Firmware (although it's well worth having anyway: I run it and it's very handy for streaming, file management etc.)

The recording is going to be problematic as it's really geared around being used in Freesat mode. In non-Freesat, everything is manual and you can't mix and match successfully between modes.

Even if you use the Channel Editor to put 13E/19E Channels in your Freesat EPG, I think you are still limited to manual Recording. Wouldn't swear to it though.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
You may eventually want to get a separate box for the non-UK channels and if you have a spare output on the 28.2E LNB you can also feed the UK channels into your new receiver for extra flexibility.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good advice: That's exactly what I now do, having originally used just the Foxsat HDR either with Input 1 controlling a Motor and latterly with a DiSEqC switch picking up a feed from a Motorised Dish that is remotely Positioned (ie Using a different receiver).

Your solution is by far the most flexible.

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
I see your issue, having re-read your plan, and you're right about Cascading. Also DiSEqC is only functional on Input A.
Humax HDR Recording features are not altered by the Raydon Firmware (although it's well worth having anyway: I run it and it's very handy for streaming, file management etc.)
The recording is going to be problematic as it's really geared around being used in Freesat mode. In non-Freesat, everything is manual and you can't mix and match successfully between modes.
Even if you use the Channel Editor to put 13E/19E Channels in your Freesat EPG, I think you are still limited to manual Recording. Wouldn't swear to it though.
Thanks.
At the moment, I just want to be able to watch/record F1. So if I can add relevant F1 channels to the freesat channel list then add manual recordings that means the HDR will record normal freesat stuff and the F1 without too much problem (I hope).
Raydon fw is great. The HDR is in basement so the remote record is very handy.
I am sure once I get it all setup my tv viewing may change and I may start to watch the extra channels. Although currently I very rarely watch live tv on it. Who knows what channels I will find to watch :D
Cheers

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
Just to update. I successfully recorded the F1 on RTL (19.2e) and recorded Radio 5 live for sound. I played them both back and got them synchronised by lap 4 :)
So all worked well. Thanks for all the help and advice.