BBC iPlayer to be Free on Sky

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
BBC iPlayer, the catch up service that gives viewers a chance to watch TV programmes for up to seven days after its initial broadcast, launched in 2007. Since then it's been made available on BT Vision, Freesat, Freeview, Virgin Media, and on mobile operating systems.

Now, the Beeb has just announced that their player will be made available for free on Sky later this year. Launching full version at an undisclosed date, iPlayer will be made available on Sky's Anytime+ internet TV and SkyPlus HD. The former service delivers on-demand TV shows and catch up content to Sky customers with broadband internet. It is also free to Sky subscribers.

According to sources, Sky was vying to make iPlayer available to Sky broadband customers only, but the BBC would not agree.

“A core BBC value is to reach all audiences on a universal basis,” they said in a statement.

Sky announcement that iPlayer would soon be on their service came the same time they announced that the service would be made available to anyone with broadband internet, “an important development” that aided in bringing iPlayer to the platform. It is a move that “can only be fantastic news for audiences,” said BBC director general Mark Thompson.

Now, audiences will have access to Sky channels and their partner content, like Discover, Disney, FX, History, MTV, National Geographic, UK TV, and shows like Doctor Who, Outnumbered, and Top Gear. Apart from that, ITV Player will also be made available on the service beginning tommorrow.

Jeremy Darroch, chief executive of Sky said in a statement that: “Sky Anytime Plus will go from strength to strength in 2012 and we are delighted that the addition of the BBC iPlayer and ITV Player will allow customers to also enjoy the best of terrestrial TV, whenever they want. We’re also delighted to be able to widen access to the service so that millions more Sky customers can enjoy the added flexibility it offers.”

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Soooo, $ky wanted to monopolise a service they didn't own, by making $ky customers take THEIR broadband in order to access a free, public service? :confused

Yeah, I think that those days where they were allowed to do that have long gone... :D

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Should be interesting when released, at the moment getting iPlayer onto the big tv is a bit of a pain.

2cvbloke said:
Soooo, $ky wanted to monopolise a service they didn't own, by making $ky customers take THEIR broadband in order to access a free, public service? :confused

Yeah, I think that those days where they were allowed to do that have long gone... :D

Thank god.

(Also, Pontop Pike, you must get cracking terrestrial signal)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
andyxxxx said:
(Also, Pontop Pike, you must get cracking terrestrial signal)

Most of the time, yes... O-Ha

There have been a few dropouts, but I think that's just due to the cheap looking metal thing they call an aerial strapped to the chimney, but I've got a little 4-inch screened portable in the kitchen which gets a great analogue signal with no aerial at all (aside from a 6mm stub where it was snapped off!!)... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2cvbloke said:
Most of the time, yes... O-Ha

I've got a little 4-inch screened portable in the kitchen which gets a great analogue signal with no aerial at all (aside from a 6mm stub where it was snapped off!!)... :D

Analogue? - how quaint :D :p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Analogue? - how quaint :D :p

Oh yes, nothing but the best round here, soon to be switched off and permanently replaced with the worst... :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its been 3 years since Selkirk was switched off, so its been 3 years since we went satellite only here.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We (Pontop Pike) are right at the back of the queue - not due to DSO until the end of this year!

Can't get any analogue and only one DTT MuX from there right now, so we've been Satellite only for yonks.