chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
By early 2014 BBC will be launching a further five high definition (HD) channels! Available to all satellite, cable and Freeview subscribers, it is expected that the launch of these new channels will allow users to experience a huge range of programming at its very best.

The new channels will include BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD, meaning something for both adults and children to enjoy.

This move coincides with the decision made by Ofcom (Regulator) to free up bandwidth to allow the supply of a further ten HD channels! BBC are the first following this announcement to take advantage of the available bandwidth.

Ofcom have however stated that from December 2018 they reserve the right to take back any bandwidth if needed due to future roll-out’s of mobile services.

The BBC is very excited about bringing the best of the BBC to HD as BBC One HD and BBC Two HD have proved very popular with watchers. Due to the success of these channels BBC are delighted to be able to offer a further number of channels in due course. The great thing about these is that they are available subscription free meaning Freeview subscribers are not left in the dark.

At present Freeview subscribers only currently have access to four HD channels so this move is an exciting one for all. These channels include BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. These include regional variations to BBC One HD for services received in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

At present over 50% of homes in the UK have access to TV’s that are HD-enabled but the BBC estimate that by 2019 90% of homes will have access, meaning that the majority of families can enjoy watching their favourite programmes on a crisper and brighter resolution, making family time TV more enjoyable.

Temporary Licence
Of the five new channels, BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will take advantage of existing unused space whereas CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD will use the same channel as they do not broadcast at the same time of each other. As CBeebies HD comes to a close, BBC Four HD will take over.

As a result of this move, there is potentially still the opportunity for a further eight HD channels to be supplied to Freeview subscribers! It is expected that up to 70% of the population in the UK will be able to take advantage of these new channels over their TV aerial.

BBC have expressed they would like to launch regional variants (Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) of BBC One HD, an existing HD channel. Plus plans for regional variants of BBC Two HD! It is a proven fact that this would not need any further capacity, although approval would be needed by the BBC Trust.

ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 have not issued any press releases as to whether they have any plans to follow suit.

Attachments

• bbcHD.jpeg
    bbcHD.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 565

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I don't understand the mathematics. The Beeb are going to introduce 5 new HD versions which, as 2 are time sharing, effectively take up 4 spaces. This leaves 6 according to my reckoning so where do
As a result of this move, there is potentially still the opportunity for a further eight HD channels to be supplied to Freeview subscribers!
the extra 2 channels come from?

BTW, love those exclamation marks.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Of the five new channels, BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will take advantage of existing unused space whereas CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD will use the same channel as they do not broadcast at the same time of each other. As CBeebies HD comes to a close, BBC Four HD will take over.

So nothing is going to change with CBeebies HD and BBC4 HD as they timeshare but doesnt BBC Three and CBBC timeshare? are they extending the hours for Three and CBBC?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
...are they extending the hours for Three and CBBC?
The wording certainly indicates so. Which also means they'll be needing extra capacity for the SD versions of course.