Best image to use on dm600

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi

i want to change my image on my box i am using gemini and want a change i have flashed the box with nabilo and to be honest it seems worse it has a green tinge and the picture quality is not very good. Can anyone recommend a good image for dm600 apart from gemini or nabilo also should i somehow delete the image before flashing new one i am using serial cable to flash with dreamup so does this automatically delete existing image before installing new one. Finally is it bad for the box to flash with new images multiple times?
Thanks

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've tried a few and always went back to Gemini, Now that you have a harddisk, you can install the 'Barry Allen' plugin and use it to try out other images without deleting the one you are currently running.

1: If you used Dreamup and successfully flashed, then you have successfully deleted the existing image.
2: I cant see why it would be a problem to re-flash multiple times, All you are doing is essentially , deleting a bunch of files then replacing them,
C :)

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok cool i have tried nabilo and Pli today so far

Nabilo was s#%t and Pli seems quite good, the interface is a bit boring but it has elimnated my freezing problem (think there was damage on prvious gemini image) on cs channels. Also it is much quicker when i switch to cs channels, gemini used to take a while to get the information. PLi does it rapidly quite impressive so for now i will stick to Pli.

also i returned my hard drive I am going to purchase a newer quiter one

I will try that plugin then

Also reviews on other images bar the ones discussed for DM600 would be nice

Thanks

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
I'm using the NEWNIGMA2 image. It's an Enigma2 image, so it offers the opportunity to get familar with the latest Dreambox software.

It seems reasonably stable and has a good selection of add-ons and auto updating. I have had two problems: the box wouldn't boot up after an on-line image software update and it also crashes if I try and use teletext. The first problem seems to have gone away. The teletext problem is still there: maybe I should send a logfile to Dream so that they can take a look.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
easysat said:
maybe I should send a logfile to Dream so that they can take a look.
Is that the E2 image that's available on IHAD? If so, PCD, one of the members here would be the man to send your crash log file to. He is involved in the development of that image (As far as I know).

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
compufunk said:
Is that the E2 image that's available on IHAD? If so, PCD, one of the members here would be the man to send your crash log file to. He is involved in the development of that image (As far as I know).

No I am not responsible for the Newnigma image.

My latest image is here - (with 7-day epg for bskyb etc :)) :-

_http://www.i-have-a-dreambox.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=100044

It is a big size image because of the many added features - so best used with Barry Allen multiboot.

Cheers, pcd.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I tried the PCD's image. Unfortunately it gave me a green screen of death when I tried something. Also the update server for plug-ins never worked. Maybe I was unlucky but I've gone back to Newnigma2. I have to admit I am more hardware than software and I have the greatest admiration for the people who produce images. Is it possible to contribute more to the software development, or is this reserved to people who have spent years studying software development?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Congratulations !

You managed to crash it - I tried hard but failed ! :(

Please tell us your secret method ! :)

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm not really sure how I crashed it, maybe it was due to hitting a lot of buttons and without waiting for the box to catch up. I'll have another go when the Xmas rush is over.

bite

Superkomanda
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8W; 4.8E; 13E (90cm),
19.2E; 28.2E; 36E (110cm),
DM800SE, DM600
My Location
Riga, Latvia
Hi everyone. I have Dreambox 600, right now I'm using Gemini. I have read about Newnigma2 image. Does it work normally on DM600? I have read, that it's very slow etc. Thanks!

P.S. I have 120GB HDD mounted into my DM600 :)

raffik

Reaction score
try using Darkstar II image,

I'm using it for a while it's the best one for DM600

A nonymous

Reaction score
Thats an easy one for me to answer as everyone knows all about my love for the Gemini team ({})

I'm using S.I.F 1.9.3e image on my 600 and i can honestly say its as every bit as stable as Gemini ever was :-righton

Its also not as boring and theres very little chance that it will f**k up your box :eek:

Another image that is worth trying is the Powerboard Enigma image. You'll find the link to it below.

_http://ou-powerboard.gmc.to/images/

Works very well in the 600, although i'm mostly running it in my two dBox2's where it works very well with very few problems :D

With regards to Darkstar 2 as far as i was aware there was a security issue with it a few months back although i don't know if the Nabilo team have fixed it as of yet.

:-beer

Nano

2rB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600, 160GB HDD
My Location
Norway
I have been using _http://www.pp.digsat.net for over a year now - ever since I bought the DM600.

Have been thinking about trying other images - and that lead me to this thread.

The PP image is very stable. It freezes about 1-2 times a month, but if patience it will usually "loosen up again" after some minutes.
Occasionally the only way to fix it is to remove the power.

The problems I have with it is that if I watch a recoding that is in progress the sound tends to get out of sync. After a quick pause and play the sound is back in sync.
If rewind or fast forward is used, the subtitles cant keep up - but guess that this is a plug-in problem.

I am very satisfied with this image, but haven't tried any other.
Do anyone have experience with this image - and its quality vs other images?

Greetings from Norway.

KuleRucket

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky DigiBox, Getting Dreambox DM800
My Location
Germany
2rB said:
The PP image is very stable. It freezes about 1-2 times a month...

Blimey, is crashing 1-2 times per month considered stable???? I've just got my first Dreambox and I'm about to start trying out different firmwares.

Is the source available for most of the firmwares? I think I would be fixing the things myself with that level of stability.

2rB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600, 160GB HDD
My Location
Norway
Well, if you had included my «but if patience it will usually "loosen up again" after some minutes.» it might not have looked so bad.

However - it is still stable by my requirements. 1 or 2 reboots a month is within my acceptance (usually tries to reboot before the box freezes).

Its very rare that it freezes totally.
When it does I'm usually doing several things at once - and it doesn't seem to keep up.

And my tuner provided by my satellite provider is far less stable - and don't even contain a HDD. But talking to them about that is a waste of time...

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
if i was you id try pli jade ,never failed for me on my 600 or my daughters or my mates one

KuleRucket

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky DigiBox, Getting Dreambox DM800
My Location
Germany
To me having 'issues' once or twice a month just isn't good enough. There are no excuses for unstable software. If something crashes or goes wrong there is always a reason and it can be fixed.

I have been looking at pli and that was going to be my first stop as soon as my USB<->serial cable arrives. I like the fact that they have made their cvs repository available so if there are any problems I can just fix them and submit patches.

MyB5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish1: Macab 90x80 with Triax Multifeed - 4 Lnbs
( 2 Smart Titanium &amp; 2 Triax Quad Universal )
Dish2: Canal Digital dish 65x55 - 4 Lnbs
( 2 Smart Titanium &amp; 2 Alps universal )
Hyro (chinese) 8:1 switch
TV: LG-50 PS8000 &amp; LG-42PC1RR
My Location
Sweden
My vote goes to EDG Nemesis 4.40 :)

ricochez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600 Cable - Pli Jade3 Image
Nokia D-box - Keywelt Image
XP Prof - SFU NFS Server
My Location
Germany
Hi,

until now I have tested Gemini 4.7 and Pli Jade3 (both E1 versions) and would recommand at least Pli. It much more stable than the Gemini image and the menues in Pli are better structured.

Unfortunally both images have the same bug regarding DVR recording on a NFS share. They create the ts File with a wrong umask ( owner of .ts file has no write permissions to the file). If the NFS server if fully RFC compilant ( like the Hanewin NFS server) the result for a recording try is the creation of a .ts file which is 0 bytes in size (but the .eit file is correctly written because of the correct umask handling there ))(-red.

Until now the only workaround for me is is the usage of a non RFC compilant NFS server (like Microsoft SFU which is not very performant) but I love to use the Hanewin Server simply because it delivers the best performance in combination with my Nokia D-Box 2.It would be nice if anybody can recommend an DM600 image which not suffers from this bug.

kind regards
rico

erukus1

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm600
My Location
Cornwall
I think Gemini is the best