Not open for further replies.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Have been having major issues with my BB and phone line in general. BTO monkeys have been out several times over the past year to fix* the ongoing crackling issues, having completely cut off my phone for a few days in the process.

After recent storms, I've been having big SNR margin variations with "inconsistent copper joint" error popping up on the fault checker, which resulted in my line dropping sync every few minutes. This was fixed a few days ago but have now been capped to 40Mbit by DLM, even though my line has an "attainable" speed of around 58Mbit. I am guessing it will resolve itself soon, if there are no more line drops.

I can see BT dug up the road a few houses away from me, so let's hope the fix the flipping thing once and for all.

*break

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So glad I have no further need of BT Openreach.

And, due to the small size of our Wireless Provider (Two men and one part-time Admin), rare outages are dealt with promptly and effectively at no cost.

And there are backups and alternative routing available to ensure some sort of service is maintained at all times.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have been having major issues with my BB and phone line in general. BTO monkeys have been out several times over the past year to fix* the ongoing crackling issues, having completely cut off my phone for a few days in the process.

After recent storms, I've been having big SNR margin variations with "inconsistent copper joint" error popping up on the fault checker, which resulted in my line dropping sync every few minutes. This was fixed a few days ago but have now been capped to 40Mbit by DLM, even though my line has an "attainable" speed of around 58Mbit. I am guessing it will resolve itself soon, if there are no more line drops.

I can see BT dug up the road a few houses away from me, so let's hope the fix the flipping thing once and for all.

*break

Mirrors almost everything I have had with BT for almost two years, though I was threatend with disconnection (and had a restricted service on both lines for a while as I refused to pay for non-broadband), consistent capping at under 1/2 Meg for months, changed all the internal equipment (modem, filters, leads) upon their recommendations etc etc. I also changed to a business tariff based on advice that the fault wouuld certainly get fixed quicker, which is was - six months later.
Eventually the fault turned out to be a corroded wire on the top of the nearest telegraph pole, but they couldn't be bothered to come out and check in two years, despite confirmation from numerous remote checks that the fault lay between the exchange and the first socket in the house.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tonights pitiful connection

Capture.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, I shan't chuckle, as I remember it well.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That wont even run a standard YT video without buffering, stuttering etc. I guess there is a slightly bad connection on the line somewhere & the intense cold is making it worse. (The overhead lines run for ~ 2 miles down to the cab). Although I do know plusnet have been having intense countrywide problems the last few days so its possible its allied to that.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
That wont even run a standard YT video without buffering, stuttering etc. I guess there is a slightly bad connection on the line somewhere & the intense cold is making it worse. (The overhead lines run for ~ 2 miles down to the cab). Although I do know plusnet have been having intense countrywide problems the last few days so its possible its allied to that.

You do know Plusnet staff have left their posts in the call centre upon seeing your post, hijacked a National Express coach to your exchange, purloined three ladders and safety gear from the local fire brigade and are currently working with whatever they could grab from Currys following Black Friday to fix your copper.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
And back to normal....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, I give in ......

:-lmao

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I think we've had an upgrade ......

A

Archive-8

Talktalks offering in Sherborne:-

IMG_1552.PNG

They keep offering free fibre for a year. I am definitely moving my connection as soo as I can.

A

Archive-8

The net seems to have bucked up today.

IMG_1582.PNG
The modem is synced at 21mb.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmm. What about Upload? :D

A

Archive-8

I wonder if 2 adsl lines can be bonded to give me more upload?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
They can be but I don't know how.

A

archive10

They can be but I don't know how.
You can by using the technique aptly called "pair-bonding".
But it's a last-mile owner thing, where the people who own the copper going into your house need to support using both pairs of UTP going into your premises.
(Some people do not have two pairs, but most have.)
In DK, it's only the main Telco (our version of BT) that offers pair-bonding.
It literally gives about twice the speed, but you need special modems/routers and special DSLAMs at the local PoPs (Point of Presence).
The rest of the operators make do with normal ADSL2+ (or whatever is current).

Not sure about the sitaution in UK?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The "rural" thingy is easily overcome by making use of Fixed Wireless Access systems. Many Communities in the UK have them and they are widespread in rural areas elsewhere in Europe (Probably around the world, but I haven't been there!)

If only people could see past their uninformed belief that they must make use of BT, in the same way so many believe they can only get TV from Sky then, with a little perseverance, Communities can resolve the slow Broadband issue .... and ditch their "Landline" .... and save money.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^
Nah, what you need is rural FWA speeds ..... ;):D

Status