Broadband Speed Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archive-8

What if you try a different server? Your upload is nuts with respect to your download. Latency is good...

I have tried the tests using several of the servers. And that's the best I can get :-(

It's an exchange only adsl connection synced at 21mb

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
With Be Internet (and possibly others) it was perfectly possible to get up to 2.5Mbit upload at the expense of some download. I am pretty sure Vivaciti and potentially PlusNet can put you on a similar profile (might be a business only product though).

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Going OK but DLM has limited me to 49Mbit despite being capable of doing higher than that (60Mbit attainable).

5887659659.png

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not bad!

As you can see above, my Upload Speed is now Assymetrical at 20Mbps.

A bit of a waste?

I only ever upload Photos and perhaps the occasional larger Video file.

A

Archive-8

I can get sdsl at a whopping 2mb according to the sam knows site.

And annex m is also available, when I was with Vivaciti I enquired about it and that was an additional £10 a month on top of the land line rental and bb totalling £47 a month.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
My - Rural / wireless broadband results :)

bb speed.jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
:D

My Download Speed is generally 20Mbps these days, so the figure in my Post is unusually slow, but nevertheless good enough for my needs.

Though why I need 20Mbps (Nominal) Upload, heaven only knows.

Still, the FWA architecture means there's no reason why not, so I'm sure I can live with it!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Our 'escargot vitesse' internet connection this morning. With our English neighbours, we called into the local town hall to ask about the extension of fibre in the village to us 'in the sticks'. We were told about a dispute between suppliers (well, this is France) and that it would be up to four years before it could travel less than two kilometres to us. The option of broadband via aerial is looking more attractive.....

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
:D

My Download Speed is generally 20Mbps these days, so the figure in my Post is unusually slow, but nevertheless good enough for my needs.

Though why I need 20Mbps (Nominal) Upload, heaven only knows.

Still, the FWA architecture means there's no reason why not, so I'm sure I can live with it!

Certainly .. a massive upload ... and yes 20Mbs is ample for most folks need i think :)
My result above is typical --- and has been at around that for the past 18 months or so ...
very good for a rural area ....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Back to normal today. Just checked the hosts's fault logs and there were some Power issues yesterday, with a backup service deployed.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
Currently have a mediocre ADSL2+ service due to major interference on the phone line which is halving what I'm theoretically capable of getting :mad: with The Phone Coop (comes up as TalkTalk as they are a TT Business reseller), but I'm due to switch to a VDSL2 service next week with EE. I used to have a VDSL2 service previously with PlusNet before dropping back to an ADSL2+ service thinking that I should be able to achieve 14-16Mb/s because of phone line length and attenuation figures but I've never achieved that. :mad::mad: Otherwise I'd probably be happy sticking with the ADSL service.

5969831267.png

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ahem ... what's a "Phone Line"?!'

I love all that old technology :p;)

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
^^^^^
Nah, what you need is rural FWA speeds ..... ;):D

Good, but not all FWA providers are equal. One such WiMax provider locally has not got a great reputation - only other alternative is a <1Mb/s download ADSL service or in some cases 4G "home" broadband (excluding satellite, which is really a last-resort option).

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
Ahem ... what's a "Phone Line"?!'

I love all that old technology :p;)
The problem isn't the phone line itself which seems to be in fairly good nick, it's whatever is pumping the interference into it. It's not either of my next door neighbours as I've checked that out, I suspect someone nearby is using a dodgy satellite receiver with "gift" that fails noise suppression so badly that it is pumping huge amounts of crap back down through their telephone socket. :mad::mad:. When the interference is on, the SNR margin drops by 8-9db. :eek:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good, but not all FWA providers are equal. One such WiMax provider locally has not got a great reputation - only other alternative is a <1Mb/s download ADSL service or in some cases 4G "home" broadband (excluding satellite, which is really a last-resort option).

Ours isn't actually Wimax, but I know what you mean.

I think we're lucky with the two man and a part-time admin who run Clannet, and with the financial support of North Yorkshire County Council that makes the whole thing viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.