Broadband Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archive4

Sometimes shows Zero ms when I use Ookla .... I suspect it's a glitch ....

Anyhow, the more striking news is that Chris is being well served by Cowes.
Long way from the Isle of Wight, isn´t it?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I took for 2-week free test router from one mobile phone company. If I say yes after 2 weeks then I can have this connection for about 12 EUR per month with 70 GB limit.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_16 Jun. 22 09.59.jpg
    ScreenHunter_16 Jun. 22 09.59.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 19

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
OK, so having been in four other B&B's since going on holiday, we have arrived at our final one in a small village called Saint Maurice. Here's the broadband test...

Now where was that list of movies I wanted to download??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We had superfast Broadband in both of our remote Tuscan Casitas ..... but SWMBO does not permit gadgets on holiday, so I couldn't avail myself of the facilities, sadly :(

A

Archive-8

Sat in Sherborne (other house) and thought I would do a speed check

image.png

I am in a block of 20 flats total. I am the only one with adsl all the others have fibre.

But mine is free so I guess, you get what you pay for.

A

Archive4

Sat in Sherborne (other house) and thought I would do a speed check

View attachment 95384

I am in a block of 20 flats total. I am the only one with adsl all the others have fibre.

But mine is free so I guess, you get what you pay for.
Two house family, complaining about parking and noise from local schools!, to quote.....

you get what you pay for!

A

Archive-8

Two house family, complaining about parking and noise from local schools!, to quote.....

you get what you pay for!

You mean, a local school, not schools. Yes I have 2 houses at the moment, that is because I inherited the house in Yeovil!

And I already owned the flat in Sherborne.

I think you would be piss@d off if you had to wait for some one to reverse of your own private driveway (then have a go at you) just so I can, come home and drive straight on to my drive!

And just for the record! All of my family are now dead! I live on my own (and like it that way)

A

Archive4

You mean, a local school, not schools. Yes I have 2 houses at the moment, that is because I inherited the house in Yeovil!

And I already owned the flat in Sherborne.

I think you would be piss@d off if you had to wait for some one to reverse of your own private driveway (then have a go at you) just so I can, come home and drive straight on to my drive!

And just for the record! All of my family are now dead! I live on my own (and like it that way)
Chris, jovial post, no harm intended, just my soh,
a thousand apologies for any offence:-Guill

A

Archive4

Had the new internet installed today, ran some speed tests just after they left, 18 Mb download and 8 Mb upload, but that was at about 14:30 when Spain is out to lunch!
Checked just now, only 5 Mb download and 1 Mb upload, not sure if I trust the speed test any longer. Cannot believe that difference.
It was Ookla, but still cannot explain that kind of variance!

5507427783.png

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Remind me, B, is it a 5GHz WAN system like mine? I know they are prevalent as our friends near Lorca have one and we also found our recent holiday casita in the mountains of Italy, miles from anywhere, had it too.

I get marked speed variations at times, presumably due to contention/traffic shaping.

For another £5 per month I could elect to go on a faster, higher priority package, but am generally happy with what I have. For now.

A

Archive4

Remind me, B, is it a 5GHz WAN system like mine?

I get marked speed variations at time, presumably due to contention/traffic shaping.

For another £5 per month I could elect to go on a faster, higher priority package, but am generally happy with what I have. For now.
TBH I have no idea of the WAN speed, no paper work, just a box on the shelf! ( Abnormal for Spain as normally the paper work outweighs the device! )
I could also pay more, but anything is better than the 2Mb download and 0.2Mb upload I had before!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I guess it will be.

This also means you could Port your Landline number to a suitable VOIP provider and all it takes is a £40 adapter to get you going. Relinquish the Landline and save the Rental cost.

Calls cost peanuts and you can keep your existing number.

We have not yet exhausted our initial £10 call credit applied eighteen months ago!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Wish such an option was available to me living in the suburbs!

A

Archive4

I´m moving the landline and my mobile to the same company as part of the package. Landline has not worked for 5 weeks now, due to the fact Movistar no listen to experienced telecoms man!
Anyway, the whole package including 1000 mins of free calls to UK is only 43€ inc vat, approx 25€ less than the Movistar deal without the free calls to the UK!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@PaulR

Yes, most "traditional" UK ISPs now offer VOIP, but it seems a little pointless as you still need their cable/fibre to get Broadband in the first place.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I´m moving the landline and my mobile to the same company as part of the package. Landline has not worked for 5 weeks now, due to the fact Movistar no listen to experienced telecoms man!
Anyway, the whole package including 1000 mins of free calls to UK is only 43€ inc vat, approx 25€ less than the Movistar deal without the free calls to the UK!

Splendid!

Take fifteen Honorary Yorkshireman points.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh, no, that won't happen.

The clue is in the word "Honorary" ;)

Status