Broken network-card on DB 7020-S

Berge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020-S with Gemini
My Location
Norway
First of all, excuse me for my bad english, I'm from Norway.

Hopefully some of you can help me with my problem.

After some bad weather, including thunder and lighting, my Dreambox stopped working. First I thought there was only something wrong with the powersupply. Because of this I bought a new one and replaced the broken one. After this I was able to turn the Dreambox on, but I could not connect to my local network, so probably the network-card is also broken. Everything else is working fine.

Is it possible for me to change the networkcard or do I have to buy a new DreamBox to be able to connect to my network? Is it possible to use a WLAN USB-dongle to connect to my network?

I don't know if it matters, but I have a Dreambox 7020-S with Gemini version 2.7.0 from 2006, I think.

In advance, thanks for the answers.

redblower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreamboxes,octagon 918,azbox
My Location
australia
try to put new image on your box before spending money on repairing it.

astral69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020Si receiver, PLi image loaded and Irdeto and Viaccess cards installed. Dishes for Nilesat + Hotbird with lnb's for BADR and Eurobird 9
My Location
Middle East
I have the same problem and have been advised to put a new image on, but HOW?
Both DreamUp and the Flash Wizard seem to require the use of the LAN port..............
Using the CF card is mentioned but I cannot find any reference on how to do that.
Help please.......

PS I want to load the latest PLi image.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yes, read that guide and try to upload a new image using the RS232 port and a null modem cable.

astral69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020Si receiver, PLi image loaded and Irdeto and Viaccess cards installed. Dishes for Nilesat + Hotbird with lnb's for BADR and Eurobird 9
My Location
Middle East
Using a null modem cable I was able to flash the latest Pli image and the LAN connection is working again.

Two comments:
1. The DB manual and the DreamUp seem to say that a LAN and RS232 connection are needed.
This is not true, and should be made clearer.
The RS232 connection alone is fine. The flash took 37 minutes plus a few extra to then load the image.

2. RS232 is a very old fashioned type of connection. No notebooks sold to today support it!
I was lucky to have a USB to RS232 cable, with the software to drive it. I use it for my weather station.
Otherwise you will need to spend around $30 to buy one
The NULL cable was only $2.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Old is usually best.

To bad that the lappies skipped that port but hey they are comprimited indeed.

I will always keep an "old" computer for times "they are a-changing"