CM 2.4mtr offset

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would be nice if you could take some photos at each stage of assembly Turok and put them in the Pictures of Members' Systems section. :)

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello Rolf,good evening!
okay,good idea,when time,is right,and help is here,for installing,and winter is over,i will makes a lot of pictures,at moment i finalize the setup of my mesh antenna,but is very dificult on the high roof..

need 3 meter leader,to reach the lnb:)

polarmount looks very rusty,so i mast try to restore it,with antirusty spray,and special protection color,what would be the best to to restaurate it?

maybe,the 36" motors does not work,i have to other one,one is from uk company strong,maybe the left the market now,and the other from drake usa
then i need a digger!

how,deep should i make the hole?

then i need a lot of this
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&la...ctHdr=on&spellToler=on&search=beton&relink=on

dont know english word for,so i always must look into the dictonary,for special words,that i dont know in english,this site knows every word ,but sometiems i have 20 difrent words in englich,and only one word means in german,how it comes this?

a special lnb holder for kuband is includes flange,where i can ajust the lnb in the depness,to optimizing the signal flange version!
channel master told me all parts are out of stock,nothing avalible
intrsting would be now,was there,in the product line in the past of channel master also a cband tripod avalible,the f/d of the 3m antenna,i think is 31-32,i have send,my seavey feed,to an expert,that cam modify my seavey,for nearly every antenna type,so i hope ,with this,and integrated,servo polarizer,i have the best solution for c and kuband,with out lost in the kuband!
but,it needs alot,of time ,and patience!
first i can try only in kuband,maybe cband also works with the kuband lnb holder i dont know,here is no store,that can help me with big antennas,i mast find out,everything alone..!

Montafon Guy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4,5 m Andrew -Multifeed C/Ku Band
My Location
Austria
@Turok,

you are not alown .-)

Seavus Montafon Guy!

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
ohh,you here,greetings back,to the nabour village,behind the sea:)

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4mtr Channel Master Dish,
Fracarro Penta 85cm Dish,
64cm Traix Dish with 4 multi LNB'S
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
snap m8 just to let you know that today I had a play with feedhorn you sent me and invacom c120 single.

Did a test at 11.45 this morning on 11919H with my old feedhorn and c120 I pulled in 29% on technomate.
Swapped to the feedhorn you sent me and got 30% on 11919H.

I know its only 1% but that to me makes a big difference.

Only problem using technomate as a meter is that its hard to get a real reading because it shows nothing below 20%, if you know what I mean.

Still not got the quad c120 I ordered and paid for 9 days ago from the net

PJ02

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM, 36v Positioner, DB7020Si.
Diablo, CAS3+
My Location
Cheshire
Keano have you been using just the Sat receiver to peak the dish or a Satlook or something?

Rgds

PJ

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yeah think you need a satellite meter to help you peak the dish and tweak the lnb skew

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Hi guys, yeah I've only got a cheap sat meter which is not very good.

Been using technomate to adjust dish,lnb etc but like I say it does not give you a true reading.

I have noticed that the db500 is a lot better for doing job, as where the technomate will stay on 20% when you make little adjustments the db500 % will move.

I need 75% to get a perfect picture on db500 and after using the db500 for tuning in the other day I did manage to get 77% with small adjustments so it was a lot better.

I have noticed that the H beams goes weak between 16.30 and 21.00 in Manchester and will drop down to 73% which means picture break up.

Hoping to have quad c120 today.

let you know how I get on.

cheers

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
hi
I know from experience that the sat tuner in the Dreambox is weak. The length of cable and type of cable used could be critical. One could easily lose up to 3%. This is why i use a quattro lnb with multiswitch. such setup allows the use of the adequate type of line amplifier, the power to those amplifiers is supplied through the multiswitch and not the receiver. How long is your cabling and what type, Keano?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes get some decent cable to help too wf125 is very good cable

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
@keano
though all answers are welcome.

As you have tried both Andrews feedhorns.
I wonder if I used the 6060-10 for my Nilesat fixed dish, adjusted for best performance at exactly 7°W, It would still get enough signal from this position to clear all transponders on 8°W Atlantic Bird 2.

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
m8 i have used both andrews feedhorns and the longer one gave better results.

I also used the invacom and the inverto and the invacom gave better results.

Look at pictures below ( only note the actual feedhorn ) I have both and I have titled the better one for 11996H.

Regarding 8.0w I have not tried but will try later for you.

Thanks

Attachments

• Better feed.jpg
    Better feed.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Other feed.JPG
    Other feed.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 57

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Is the one you labeled "better feed" the 6060-10?
I am eagerly waiting for the result of the test for AB2 with the "better feed"

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Yes m8 the picture of the better feed is the 6060-10

blobber

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nokia 9600S (NDT tuner) linked via RS232 to Echostar LT8700. Motorized 1.2m Echostar offset dish on polar mount with 12" 36V jack. Combined Ku feedhorn polarotor with Calamp WR75 0.8dBN quadband LNB. Skystar2 v2.3 via splitter.
My Location
Northwest
I was just wondering if ground noise could be a issue in this install? One of the efficiencies of the offset design is supposed to be that the LNB only sees sky beyond much of the rim of the dish. From the photo it looks to me like it might see a big tree behind and to the right, and the wooden trellis very near to the left. If so, and assuming you cannot move anything, maybe a feed horn that slightly under-illuminates the dish could actually improve sn ratio.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
I thought that the main advantage of using the proper feedhorn is to illuminate the area of the dish, no more no less.
By playing on the distance between feedhorn and dish, while monitoring SNR, you can get your feedhorn to cover just the right illumination.

blobber

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nokia 9600S (NDT tuner) linked via RS232 to Echostar LT8700. Motorized 1.2m Echostar offset dish on polar mount with 12" 36V jack. Combined Ku feedhorn polarotor with Calamp WR75 0.8dBN quadband LNB. Skystar2 v2.3 via splitter.
My Location
Northwest
In practice the recommended feed horn will not suddenly cut off at the visual area of the dish. It will be designed to make the best compromise between capturing the most signal from the dish, while at the same time avoiding ground noise from around it. If the installation has an unusually large amount of such ground noise, I am suggesting it could upset that balance, and shift the optimum towards capturing less from the area towards the dish edge.

I also wonder if sidelobes could be an additional concern with a dish as crowded around as this.

There is a good description of the issues chapters 4 & 5 of this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=RrNx3H9pbTQC&pg=PA72&dq=feedhorns&sig=FeVy8wi8noN980aHbe-RLlR-kow

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
There is not a lot I can do about the tree behind the dish because its not in my garden.

The trellis went up recently and made no difference at all to signal the dish received.

I check before during and after.

In a ideal world it would be nice to have the dish higher of the ground and nothing anywhere near it but this is a big dish and even at 6ft 2 with my arms up I still can't get anywhere near the top of the dish.

I had to drop the mount down 10inches to try and keep it as low as poss.

If you are looking at my avatar picture of dish, then the trellis is now further to the left and the trees at the right of the dish have gone.

R

Rd100

The pic on the left the one with the redish background and black rain cover is a left & right hand circular feedhorn and should be used on circular L&R satellites only not linear H&V

keano said:
m8 i have used both andrews feedhorns and the longer one gave better results.

I also used the invacom and the inverto and the invacom gave better results.

Look at pictures below ( only note the actual feedhorn ) I have both and I have titled the better one for 11996H.

Regarding 8.0w I have not tried but will try later for you.

Thanks

R

Rd100

the 6060-10 will give better gain than a 6060-10 as it covers a more narrow part of the ku-band so will give better gain,

So for example if you wanted to received just one transponder on a Satellite lets just say 12.205 the more narrower band feed & lnb you can get to that frequency the better gain you will get,

keano said:
Yes m8 the picture of the better feed is the 6060-10