Advice Needed Connectivity

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.25m dish, sky+ HD digibox, Amstrad DRX890z, Sony vaio VGN-NR11Z/S
My Location
Corralejo
Mmmh, not sure whether I should be posting these details here but I can't seem to get a definitive answer elsewhere. I have a smart tv which currently is not connected to the internet and never has been, why?, 'cos I'm scared that you know who will make immediate connection whereby my cover is blown. I really would like to get the internet facility thing working so that I can indulge in other, some may say, illegal practices. Any thoughts anyone?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Mmmh, not sure whether I should be posting these details here but I can't seem to get a definitive answer elsewhere. I have a smart tv which currently is not connected to the internet and never has been, why?, 'cos I'm scared that you know who will make immediate connection whereby my cover is blown. I really would like to get the internet facility thing working so that I can indulge in other, some may say, illegal practices. Any thoughts anyone?
Sure, is very simple. You need to connect the TV to the internet in order to use the internet. I hope this helps.

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
Are you trying to access UK TV from Fuerteventura? If so, a secondary router which is VPN or Smart DNS enabled should do the trick.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
Sure, is very simple. You need to connect the TV to the internet in order to use the internet. I hope this helps.
Thanks, I appreciate your reply but don't believe that you understood the question.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
Are you trying to access UK TV from Fuerteventura? If so, a secondary router which is VPN or Smart DNS enabled should do the trick.
Ah thanks Baxter Boy, you're getting a lot warmer. Everything that I've looked at though suggests that I cannot put a secondary router on a telephone line. Currently have a Telefonica line inc router which obviously dishes out my IP address, in the past, to allow me access to S** G* had a VPN which I switched on whilst on the PC. Not sure if I can do that via the router so are you saying that I can solve the problem by getting hold of a router that is compatible with Telefonica which can have an IP allocated to it. Don't want to find myself in a position whereby the 5** box makes an automatic connection revealing my whereabouts. Tried this FilmOn thing which is supposedly available anywhere but it crashes every minute or so, I'm getting around 8MB, ideally would like to get that working on the idiot box directly. Jeez I'm seriously missing Wimbledon.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Thanks, I appreciate your reply but don't believe that you understood the question.
The question contained little information :) If you're looking for cardsharing help, you won't get any here - it's expressly forbidden by the forum rules and the thread will get shut down. VPNs - well, that's a different matter.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
What kind of smart TV is it? Probably the easiest option is to go for a SmartDNS service first if it is compatible and see if it works before buying extra hardware.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
What kind of smart TV is it? Probably the easiest option is to go for a SmartDNS service first if it is compatible and see if it works before buying extra hardware.
Thanks timo, television is a samsung 6 series hd, 3d, smart tv. I understand the SmartDNS service but having had one previously, this was downloaded into my PC, enabling me access to uk things. Is this then not peculiar to the computer, or would any other device, phone, tablet or television adopt that IP. Effectively what I am asking is by downloading that VPN into the computer, is the computer sending this information to the router enabling the router to send
that IP to any other device or in fact, still using the correct allocated one. I don't believe that I am able to input anything into the router so those that shouldn't know will still know the location of the other devices
I don't even know if this post makes sense to me!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Check out unlocator.com or overplay.net. Their SmartDNS services start at about $5-6/month but are cheaper if bought for longer periods but I'd try it first before committing to anything long term.

I've used SmartDNS from overplay.net with a Samsung bluray player to get all the UK apps working well except Demand 5 sometimes stutters a bit as if it's not getting a fast enough connection.

Assuming you can update your TV's network settings (the DNS) and you can manually select the right country for the apps required it should work on your TV too. See if this works for you: https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1244175

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
You connect the secondary router to your Telefonica router via an ethernet cable. I'm not 100% certain, but for VPN configuration, the secondary router might need DD-WRT firmware installed. I've connected our smart Sony Blu Ray player by this method.

Eye On Demand is a useful blog about Smart DNS. There is an article about setting up a secondary router for Smart DNS using a TP Link router which is in stock at Electron in Puerto del Rosario.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
Thanks all, I've got some homework to do now. Looking at the smartdns, it seems that with it I can configure the router which in turn sends that info to all devices or configure devices individually which certainly appears to be the case with my samsung.

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
Just a quick follow up. The iPlayer app on my Sony Blu Ray player only allows catchup, you can't view live streams.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
Some Primary routers e.g. T-Home routers will not let you use SmartDNS because they overwrtite the device DNS with their own dynamic DNS. If that is the case you will need to use a secondary router. SmartDNS will not work with such a primary.

The device gateway is the secondary router IP and the gateway for the secondary router is the primary router. The VPN must be setup on the secondary router. That way the IP and DNS will be allocated behind the primary router, which then has no more control over the settings.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
Telefonica dont care if you use SMART DNS ,however they now own CANAL+ and all the football rights in spain ,so
i can see blocking of sites,that affect its copywrite ...
SKY GO is to TV what Tacoma is to bridge building
Telefonica use DYNAMIC IP .
try the fuerteventura-forum or the caletafuerteventura for more local advice
Love the Tacoma analogy, an absolutely perfect description, however London's Millenium Bridge was a very close second. I will say though in mitigation for bothering with it in the first place, I had little or no alternative for my F1 fix in 2013 when the F1 channel went onto 1N. Oh, :-rofl2 don't worry yourself with regard to my football consumption, I've yet to ever watch a game.
Thanks all for all the replies, will have to start putting things into practice now. Will update on my escapades as and when.

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
Ah thanks Baxter Boy, you're getting a lot warmer. Everything that I've looked at though suggests that I cannot put a secondary router on a telephone line. Currently have a Telefonica line inc router which obviously dishes out my IP address, in the past, to allow me access to S** G* had a VPN which I switched on whilst on the PC. Not sure if I can do that via the router so are you saying that I can solve the problem by getting hold of a router that is compatible with Telefonica which can have an IP allocated to it. Don't want to find myself in a position whereby the 5** box makes an automatic connection revealing my whereabouts. Tried this FilmOn thing which is supposedly available anywhere but it crashes every minute or so, I'm getting around 8MB, ideally would like to get that working on the idiot box directly. Jeez I'm seriously missing Wimbledon.

I have a telefonica line and use a Telefonica router and have never had a problem with film on (have watched all night before during heavy rain), not reconfigured in any way, no VPN or using services to mask IP. Have you tried another router? I have 8MB also but checks out around 6.5.

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Corralejo
I have a telefonica line and use a Telefonica router and have never had a problem with film on (have watched all night before during heavy rain), not reconfigured in any way, no VPN or using services to mask IP. Have you tried another router? I have 8MB also but checks out around 6.5.
Thanks Terry, interesting indeed. After the requisite adverts, it generally runs for a minute or so then freezes, to get it going again requires reducing from full screen and a re-connect. Then of course, another 20 secs of adverts then invariably re-starts at a point where I'd been watching from at the beginning of the first connection. Frankly, for me it's absolutely useless.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
Thanks Terry, interesting indeed. After the requisite adverts, it generally runs for a minute or so then freezes, to get it going again requires reducing from full screen and a re-connect. Then of course, another 20 secs of adverts then invariably re-starts at a point where I'd been watching from at the beginning of the first connection. Frankly, for me it's absolutely useless.
Your internet connection is too slow. Therefore it keeps hanging and the you will need to restart. We watched interceptor last night on FilmOn (bad weather) and it worked fine. However, there is no need for VPN for FilmOn. VPN is required for catch-up and on-demand sercives.

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
Just a thought but are you using wireless to connect your tv, tried with my android and ended up connecting via a pair of homeplugs due to dropping wireless connection. After this, problem over and has been OK for a couple of years.

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
as i said ask on the local forums the best way to go in FV .i would read the posts there of what others are doing on the island

There's a lot of chat on the local forums about a Zurich based IPTV subscription service called ZKTV and it's not all favourable.