DB 7020 with various problems... power unit on the way out?

Koen C

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky FTV, Humax CI-receiver with Canal Digitaal (Dutch satellite) FTV, Wave Frontier T90
My Location
Antwerp, Belgium
Hi

I have a DB 7020 which I bought secondhand three months ago. The box has now developed several faults. I have already flashed a new image (went from Gemini to OpenPli) but that didn't help. I've been playing around with satellite gear for years, but this is the first time I'm using a Dreambox. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

*The box frequently crashes when using an internal hard drive. I've swapped the one that was in the box for another one - didn't help. To be fair, the original drive turned out to be five years old, while the one I replaced it with has been going for four years. Nevertheless, the 'four years' drive has performed without any problems for the last three years - I used it in my Topfield PVR until I bought the DB.
I've been advised to go for an HDD that doesn't drain too much power - the figures for the 'four years' drive are: +5V -> 0.46A and +12V -> 056A. According to Google, that should be OK for a DB.

*The box also crashes when using an external HDD. Weird, as I'd hoped the box crashed because the power unit couldn't cope and I was hoping using a drive with external power supply would do the trick.

*The box has so far refused to format two of the three external devices I've plugged in - a 1.5 TB HDD and a 2 GB USB stick. Formatting a 128 MB stick went well, but that's a bit limited for TV recording. :D

*When rebooting, the box frequently goes no further than displaying (on the TV ) small horizontal green/black bars that fill the screen. Booting again solves the problem, but is clearly not what it should be.

*When subjected to the standard procedure for web interface flashing, the LED display always shows the following IP address: 172.23.13.7 - the actual IP address I always use to contact the box (to enter timer details etc.) is 192.168.1.107. I can't reach the box at either address when it's in flashing mode. (I eventually dragged an old PC from the ceiling that still had an RS232 port and flashed the box with Dreamup.)

*The .ts files I copy from the box to the PC frequently suffer from glitches. These appear when I play the files with VLC; they're still there when I extract the mpg2 and play that with WMP or any other player. When I copy the .ts again to the PC, the glitches are no longer there (although others may be introduced in the newly copied file). See picture.
vlcsnap2010010723h.jpg

*One Scart output creates a very fine line pattern (akin to atmospheric reception problems). It's the kind of thing housemothers wouldn't even notice, but I do. It doesn't spoil my day, but it shouldn't be there. While this may be down to some signal leaking from one of my many cables, the other Scart produces an image that will flicker two or three times for a split-second every time the image changes drastically (for example by a cut from a very dark to a very light shot). Never seen that before! Although I may have to connect/disconnect even more cables to make this 100% sure, I believe I can say the problems don't go away when I swap cables or connect the Scart to different devices (e.g. through DVD recorder or straight into TV).

Personally I believe at least the power unit is duff (or maybe the whole box). I'd be prepared to buy a new power unit or HDD, but I don't like the prospect of shelling out on the odd chance my problems will go away.

Any ideas? Advice, even? It'd be very much appreciated! :)

The Satinator

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S fed by a Lenson Heath 80cm with a monoblock on 13 & 19E.

Pentium IV 1.5Ghz, 768 MB RAM. WinXP & Knoppix.
My Location
Channel Islands
Hi Koen C.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I agree that the power supply seems to be the most likely suspect. I have a 7020 Si that I suspect is beginning to fail - it occasionally crashes when changing channels. It also 'whistles' after being turned on for a few hours, and the LCD display gets fine lines on it. I read somewhere that the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply can dry up. I am currently halfway through replacing them, but the ones that I have replaced so far have not made any improvement. Let me know if you would like a list of the capacitor values for the power supply. I may be incorrect but it's worth a try!

Koen C

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky FTV, Humax CI-receiver with Canal Digitaal (Dutch satellite) FTV, Wave Frontier T90
My Location
Antwerp, Belgium
Hi

Thanks for that reply. I have to admit my box doesn't have the problems yours seems to have - the again, all DB's are alike only when they're working properly. ;-) Thanks also for the offer concerning capacitator values, but changing these things is something I can't envisage doing myself, so if I do anything about it it'd be replacing the power print as a whole. At least that's easy with a 7020!