Newbie Here Dish size for Astra 28.2E, Astra 19.2E and Hotbird 13.0E

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Cheapest (and most satisfying) way is to do it yourself.

In doing so, you could consider an alternative approach of an 80cm (ish) dish with a DiSEqC Motor: The cost won't be much higher and you'll have many more Satellites to play with :)

Costs:

Plan A requires a multi-bracket and three LNBs

Plan B loses two of the LNBs and the bracket, but requires a Motor

Plan B means though that you can't record one channel from 1 satellite and watch a 2nd, 3rd, 4th from another satellite though.

ojaysmoke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Icecrypt - Hotbird 13
My Location
manchester
Im attempting to do the same thing as sectoid1 but mine should be much simpler. I already have a dish pointed to Hotbird 13E and want to get astra 28.2 as well.
So would I just need to put a multi-lnb bracket on , add another LNB then have both cables coming in to DiSEqC switch which would then be connected to by receiver allowing me to get both Hotbird and Astra?

However I have one question, which direction should I put my satellite, 13e or 28.2e or somewhere in between? and how do I align the second LNB ?

ojaysmoke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Icecrypt - Hotbird 13
My Location
manchester
Hi All,

I'm new here :)

Could someone please help me out? I'm about to install a new satellite system in my house and I've been thinking of getting 3 separate LNBs on a single dish for Astra 28.2E, Astra 19.2E and Hotbird 13.0E. Could someone please advise what dish size I need to get and maybe recommend a good dish along with a holder for those LNBs? I live in Manchester.

Thansk a lot!

I live in Manchester too pal, perhaps after you get the hang of it you can fix mine too ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im attempting to do the same thing as sectoid1 but mine should be much simpler. I already have a dish pointed to Hotbird 13E and want to get astra 28.2 as well.
So would I just need to put a multi-lnb bracket on , add another LNB then have both cables coming in to DiSEqC switch which would then be connected to by receiver allowing me to get both Hotbird and Astra?

Yup thats about it - 2 x lnb's to in ports on disecqs switch. Existing cable from 13E lnb to out port on switch. Set up disecq switching on receiver & away you go :)

sectoid1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Manchester
I live in Manchester too pal, perhaps after you get the hang of it you can fix mine too ;)

Hmm, I was kind of hoping someone from this forum could install mine ;)

sectoid1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Manchester
Hi again :)

Unfortunately I for some reasons I had to change my satellite set up from 3x quattro LNBs providing signals to 4 separate rooms (mention in my first posts) to 3 x twin LNBs providing signals to only 2 rooms. And I am lost again, so I'm hoping you nice folks could help me out again :)

So, what I'm trying to do is this:

mic36p.png

3x LNBs (Astra 19.E, Astra 28.2E and Hotbird 13E) + TV aerial to 2 rooms via 2 coax cables to be able to watch and record. I knew how to connect everyting for the 3x quattro LNBs to 4 separate rooms via a multiswitch, but now I don't :( I guess I cannot use a multiswitch anymore, right? So what is the solution? Via DiSeqc? Is so, how? Something like that?

2qicoxl.png

If so, how do I get a second cable to my wall sockets connected? What about a TV aerial?

Last edited by a moderator:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
If you can only use twin LNBs then it's only going to give you two outputs per satellite. So that means either two rooms with one satellite output each or two outputs for one room.

You need two diseqc switches, with one output of each LNB going to each diseqc port. The output of the diseqc switch goes to the receiver. The other switch is connected to the other receiver or to the second input of the PVR.

If you now only have one satellite feed for the room, you can use the second cable for the terrestrial TV aerial and no need to mix it. Just use a amplifier in the loft if you want to feed more than one TV with freeview and keep the satellite signals separate.

sectoid1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Manchester
Thanks Timo!
So is this what you're suggesting?

1r9fm8.png

Also, maybe this is silly, but is there any chance to do something like that? Would this work? If not, maybe there are other splitter, switches, etc. that would work in this configuration?

2zggsk8.png

Multiswitch:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-LNB-3X4-3-4-Multiswitch/dp/B001IRV6PW

To me the best option would be to install quattro LNBs with a multiswitch and have all the satellites and terrestrial TV in each of the 4 rooms with the option of PVR. I'm just worried about 12 cables coming from the LNBs to my loft - a huge hole in the wall :) Therefore now I'm thinking about installing the sat system in 2 rooms only.

Thanks for your help again!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Thanks Timo!
So is this what you're suggesting?

1r9fm8.png

Also, maybe this is silly, but is there any chance to do something like that? Would this work? If not, maybe there are other splitter, switches, etc. that would work in this configuration?

2zggsk8.png

Multiswitch:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-LNB-3X4-3-4-Multiswitch/dp/B001IRV6PW

To me the best option would be to install quattro LNBs with a multiswitch and have all the satellites and terrestrial TV in each of the 4 rooms with the option of PVR. I'm just worried about 12 cables coming from the LNBs to my loft - a huge hole in the wall :) Therefore now I'm thinking about installing the sat system in 2 rooms only.

Thanks for your help again!

Yes, the first two diagrams look right.

You can't do what you are suggesting in the last diagram. The multiswitch idea won't work as you need four outputs from each satellite for it to work seamlessly. In fact, I'm not even sure how that multiswitch is supposed to work with more the two receivers properly.

LNBs split the satellite KU-band into four bands: Low Horizontal, Low Vertical, High Horizontal and High Vertical. The receiver then selects the band it needs depending on where in the frequency range the channel is broadcast from. If there are only two inputs then there is the possibility that a 3rd receiver will not have access the the band it needs.

On a standard setup the receiver is plugged directly into the LNB and the LNB (either a single, twin, quad or octo) sends the right band to the receiver. When a multiswitch is involved it's normally the switch that decides the band and the special quattro LNB supplies all four bands to the switch at the same time through four outputs.

Edit: Just had a thought, that multiswitch you linked to might be for the American market where I believe they tend to keep all their channels in just two DBS bands.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Why not install three octo's? Then you could supply 4 twin tuners.

You have 8 4/1 diqec switches, one output from each lnb going to a switch. The aerial side? buy a combiner, you know that combines aerial, fm, dab and sat together into 1 cable. of four of the eight switches send one to the combiner(you would need 4 combiner units).

I hope this diagram works:

¦astra 2¦astra 1¦hotbird---------¦astra 2¦astra 1¦hotbird
-------------¦-----------------------¦------------¦
----------switch-------------------¦--------switch
-------------¦-----------------------¦-------wall outlet
-------signal combiner
--------wall outlet

Repeat this four times. You will need to split the aerial signal to four combiner units, you may need a booster.

The signal combiner can be found on ebay, item #

Disqec switch item #160797363659

Last edited:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Why not install three octo's? Then you could supply 4 twin tuners.
I'd be a little worried about the weight of the octos on a multi LNB setup, depending on the brackets used and the strength of the LNB arm.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
I have a Technomate TM-8-Super Octo LNB that weights 325 grams. I plan to use it on Astra 2 position on my setup assuming it is working.

Last edited:

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
I'd be a little worried about the weight of the octos on a multi LNB setup, depending on the brackets used and the strength of the LNB arm.

What is the weight difference between twins, quads and octos?

I know a bracket like this one (#251219648406) on a Technomate 85cm dish could hold 3 quads no problem.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Maybes OP should buy the same octo LNB I have. Paid £20 for it on eBay. Course mine was bought from a private seller but I don't think it has been in use(too clean).

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham

However I have one question, which direction should I put my satellite, 13e or 28.2e or somewhere in between? and how do I align the second LNB ?

Focus dish on 19.2 east. Add a third satellite. I mean you might as well.

sectoid1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Manchester
Thanks guys for all your help! I really appreciate it! I still haven't decided which option I'll go for (twin or quattro) but at least I understand now how it should be done.
Thanks again!

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Are you going to do the install yourself? I had quatros and a multiswitch and installer was going to charge me a fortune to install it.

sectoid1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Manchester
Nope, I'll ask some polish installer to do it :) The price would be about 150 pounds. I'll buy my own dish, LNBs, cables and a multiswitch, though. But I'm thinking now to get only 2x quattro for astra 19.2E and hotbird 13E, as most of the channels that are on freesat are on freeview (at least the ones I'm interested in), so the price should be cheaper.