Dogs Going Vegan

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not real ones but from the Beano and (from memory ITV).

Naturally carnivores, is this a sensible idea with ever increasingly gullible people - not just dog owners - in the current PC environment ?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Our dogs love vegetables. Seems like every other advert on the telly is for something plarrrnt based, including no-meat meatballs.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've got nothing against a balanced diet for any animal, but no meat ?

Humans are omnivores, the appendix a throwback to a more veggy existence so we could revert to less meat (or further) if we / 'the planet' depended on it.
Dogs have no such organ , wolves having lost the ability to process grass or other forage, with their cecum becoming purely a connection as with many other meat eating animals.

What Are the Functions of the Cecum?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I've got nothing against a balanced diet for any animal, but no meat ?
No they still eat mostly meat but a carrot or other vegetable must be better than whatever crap they usually put in dog treats.

It's interesting on the link in the first post they say "we recommend seeking advice from a qualified vet" but then on the 'complete guide to having a plant-based pooch!' article linked to below that statement it says "But the truth is, most vets are not well educated in this area" :-doh

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No they still eat mostly meat but a carrot or other vegetable must be better than whatever crap they usually put in dog treats. It's interesting on the link in the first post they say "we recommend seeking advice from a qualified vet" but then on the 'complete guide to having a plant-based pooch!' article linked to below that statement it says "But the truth is, most vets are not well educated in this area" :-doh

I trust the cartoon involves Gnasher becoming vegan for just one episode, a temporary vegan. The way it has been misunderstood by the zero meat /fish /dairy fan club in general is somewhat concerning when they translate it into real life scenarios and offer advice.