Dreambox 8000: picture freezes/pauses when computer is switched on...

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
Hi, have a problem with the picture (encrypted channels only) on the dreambox, basically it's when i switch this 1 pc on in the house, there's 3 pcs in the house that's connected to the Internet, but for some strange reason the picture freezes/pauses only when this 1 pc is switched on, the other 2 do not affect the box at all...
I have tried all sorts, tried directly wiring the pc to the router, tried 2 different types of belkin wireless internet bridges, tried 2 different wireless USB sticks,
and few days ago I tried those orange homeplugs, and it's still doing it, I can't figure out why it's just this 1 pc and the other 2 do not affect the box at all...

What's causing this??

Also, the dreambox is directly connected to the router and both the dreambox and router are in the same room so it's a constant perfect connection at all times apart from this 1 pc in the house that causes it to freeze/pause,
the 3 pcs are all upstairs out the way too...

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Am I right to think you are decypting these channels via your internet connection ?
If so, I'd say there's something on the pc in question that's hogging the bandwidth of your WAN.
What do you have running on the problem pc? Could it have been hijacked for instance ?

D

deleted

As b16mcc says you could have a hidden dialer proggy or such related hijacker proggy which is affecting your pc in question or your network card could be faulty, its hard to say how much bandwith do you get etc

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @marcaaron20,

It need not be malware. It could be BBC iPlayer or similar peer to peer program or some other bit-torrent client. If unchecked, any of these will hog all your bandwidth, regardless of whether you are watching or not! The client is launched at computer start-up and then used to provide the feed for others who are watching iPlayer!

Best wishes, John.

BTW, The iPlayer client is not removed by uninstalling iPlayer!! It is necessary to get a special removal program from the BBC or other site.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I agree on the P2P software. I've seen it happen a few times, they are even known to crash routers and bring your network down by opening too many simultaneous connections. If you've got teenage kids, P2P software is probably the problem, though you could have a compromised PC.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
Check your IPs and make sure that the PC does not have the same IP as the Dreambox as this could cause unpredictable results.