Dreambox 800HD SE no longer getting most channels?

AlanTreet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox with Sky satellite dish
My Location
England, Winter Hill transmitter
I've had a Dreambox 800HD SE since about 2012/2013, and for quite some time it's worked perfectly fine.

Now, I find loads of the channels have dropped out, and for those I do get some signal on, it can be quite spotty. There's nothing blocking the dish, and after a rescan, it's found loads of channels, but a lot of BBC/ITV/C4 HD variants aren't available. C5 HD does seem to be, though.

The box is set to Astra 2A/2C/2E/2F/Eutelsat 28A (28.2E), but on looking at Lyngsat now, it's saying a lot of channels are on 28.5E, so does that mean this box is completely goosed, and that only another box would sort this out?

As far as I know, the dish and cables are fine, so I'm just wondering why the whole thing feels like it's just given up?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Pop the top off & see if the capacitors on the main board are bulging, especially around the power input area. Thats a VERY common point of failure on boxes that old due to a faulty recipe being used for the electrolyte inside them.

If it looks ok then the dish may have moved, the cable got water ingress, the lnb failing etc etc - there are probably a couple of dozen reason for loss of signal but thse are the commonest reasons..

AlanTreet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for your reply. I haven't gone inside just yet (how do I tell if a capacitor is bulging? I'm not that technically minded), but isn't there a definitive change if the satellite channels have moved from 28.2E to 28.5E? Looking back at recordings, it seems to have changed over the past month.

They were pretty much perfectly fine, and then for example, Channel 5 is mostly fine (inc. HD), but the other main channels have all packed up and moved away.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Badly affected caps are normally easy to identify. See the images here. A capacitor is a cylindrical item, normally with a T K or X embossed into the top surface

KEEP YOUR FINGERS WELL CLEAR OF THE MOTHERBOARD!! Modern circuitry can pack enough of a punch to give you a seriously bad day!!!

Ive had 3 or 4 receivers die with crap caps over the last 20 years. A Grundig Sky box was the first - channels started disappearing off the epg , then it started having touble booting, until it expired completely over about 6 months.

AlanTreet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks again for the info, and I still haven't got round to opening the Dreambox yet, but what about the fact that according to Lyngsat, the satellite has moved from 28.2E to 28.5E, so since mine will still be pointing at 28.2E, does that make enough of a difference to cause this?

I can't find out when this change happened, nor why. It does seem odd. Ta.

ozumo

Contributor
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The satellites haven't moved, Astra 2E is at 28.5°E, 2F & 2G are at 28.2°E, on a small Sky dish in the UK the difference between the two positions is all but unnoticeable.

manikm909

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2M \ Channel Master 90cm \ Laminas OFC 1200 Dish, Octagon SF8008 (main STB) - Icecrypt 6600 - TM5302
My Location
SE London, UK
rather than risking possible electric shock for the sake of flakey signal - how about doing some more basic and obvious checks.

he "thinks dish \ cables are fine....." - but why would you think this, without inspecting?

@op try another STB on existing feed, check\replace the LNB - especially if old, and unchanged in a while, also, and probably more obvious, check to see if the dish is actually out of alignment.