dreambox and sky cards?

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
john_graydon said:
Use newcamd 6.0 and edit your cardserv.cfg

Pardon my ignorance but how is NewCamd 6.0 going to solve the problem of Sky tuner feeding power in standby mode into the Dbox tuner? While Humax 5400-5500 could deal with it, DB7000s tuner gets completely clogged up.
Or am I missing something?

BTW: did you get Newcamd 6.0 working with $ky card? I had to downgrade to 5.25.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
skydreamer said:
Pardon my ignorance but how is NewCamd 6.0 going to solve the problem of Sky tuner feeding power in standby mode into the Dbox tuner? While Humax 5400-5500 could deal with it, DB7000s tuner gets completely clogged up.
Or am I missing something?

BTW: did you get Newcamd 6.0 working with $ky card? I had to downgrade to 5.25.

No problems with mine YET. Using Gemeni 1.07 with newcamd 5.28 with $ky full package, fully working bottom slot. Using Gemeni 1.08 with newcamd 6.0 basic package working Top slot same with Da Vinchi Image too top slot. All in multiboot.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
This thread is getting pretty long, and also confusing.
To try to clear it up, what exactly does one need to use a digibox card in the Dreambox?
I currently got Newcamd 6.1 working. Do I still need the cardserver0961 file?

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks, TG

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
the patched cardserver (0961) only works with newcamd 5.2x versions. Newcamd 6.x uses betad, a stripped-down cardserver version (without any cardsharing options). Both versions (5.2x witch patched cardserver or 6.x with betad) will read Sky cards in either the upper, the lower, or both slots at the same time, and will keep he cards updated. I myself use newcamd 5.28 with the patched cardserver on a ROI Sky Family pack card in the upper slot, and a UK Sky Yellow House FTV card in the lower slot (and a Canal Digitaal card in the CI). Works perfectly. Just fine-tuning the configuration files took some time .......

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
JTA said:
the patched cardserver (0961) only works with newcamd 5.2x versions. Newcamd 6.x uses betad, a stripped-down cardserver version (without any cardsharing options). Both versions (5.2x witch patched cardserver or 6.x with betad) will read Sky cards in either the upper, the lower, or both slots at the same time, and will keep he cards updated. I myself use newcamd 5.28 with the patched cardserver on a ROI Sky Family pack card in the upper slot, and a UK Sky Yellow House FTV card in the lower slot (and a Canal Digitaal card in the CI). Works perfectly. Just fine-tuning the configuration files took some time .......

So what you are saying I should go back to 5,28 and then the think will work with the modified file?

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
T_G said:
So what you are saying I should go back to 5,28 and then the think will work with the modified file?

Why would you go back to 5.28 when you can use betad with 6.01? Unless U need sharing: then gbox is a better option.
BTW: Besides the two slots - if you have too many cards - you can use the serial port with Phoenix - that gives you third slot and when you get a hub + USB/serial converters from MAPLIN again with Phoenix I think you can go up to 8 cards. I have 4 in, upper, lower slot, CI Irdeto plus serial and it works fine, just needed to switch off debugging on RS232 and give daemons more time to start.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
skydreamer said:
Why would you go back to 5.28 when you can use betad with 6.01? Unless U need sharing: then gbox is a better option.
BTW: Besides the two slots - if you have too many cards - you can use the serial port with Phoenix - that gives you third slot and when you get a hub + USB/serial converters from MAPLIN again with Phoenix I think you can go up to 8 cards. I have 4 in, upper, lower slot, CI Irdeto plus serial and it works fine, just needed to switch off debugging on RS232 and give daemons more time to start.

Hey Dreamer
The reason I want to get back to 5.28 is because I was told 6.1 does not do it :-doh! . But, as you seem to know what to do please explain to me in simple, plain English what I exactly need to do. How about it?

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
T_G said:
yes, if you want to work with the modified card server, uninstall all newcamd emus and return to newcamd 5.28.
As a bonus, you will be able to read out the sky card information using the CardInformation plugin, which doesn't work with betad.
Card sharing should also be possible, but I have no experiences in this field.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
T_G said:
I was told 6.1 does not do it :-doh! .
what does 6.1 not do ?
you CAN use a sky card with newcamd 6.1 and betad, this works without problems. you CANNOT share your sky card with this combination, however.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
JTA said:
what does 6.1 not do ?
you CAN use a sky card with newcamd 6.1 and betad, this works without problems. you CANNOT share your sky card with this combination, however.

Well, I wasn't asking about sharing at all. Neither is this thread about sharing. All I wanted to know is:
How can I use my free view card or a legal Sky card in my Dreambox receiver with Newcamd 6.1. What do I have to do to get it to work?

I would appreciate it if someone would be answering this question in simple terms.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
T_G said:
I would appreciate it if someone would be answering this question in simple terms.
I think this has already been answered a few time, but here it goes again :
if you don't want card sharing, then you can use newcamd 6.1. Just install it, using the betad version, then change the configuration files.
You need to change betad.cfg to point to the correct SERIAL_PORT where the Sky card is inserted (chip facing downwards) and to specify the correct BOXKEY (not needed for a FTV card).
You also need to change newcamd.cfg to make a link to betad. There should be a line somewhere CWS = uds 1 (or2) local local
you can put all the cardserver lines in comments (add a # in front). I'm writing this from memeory, so don't pin me down if I made a mistake, this is only to give you an idea of the changes you need to make.
next : restart newcamd and watch Sky !

GAH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nokia DBox2 with SC8in1, Nokia 9600 with Freecam, Nokia 9500 with Amon Cam (with Xtal mod), and Manhattan 6900
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi Guys,

I have a DBox2, and I'm currently using Newcamd 6.01. However, from what I can gather (and sorry if I'm going over old ground), if I use Newcamd 5.28 and the patched cardserver 0961 (can I use the 6.01 config file with it?), I don't have to change to Betad to use a Sky card ? Does the patched cardserver 0961 support Dreamcrypt/Firecrypt cards (as Betad does) ? And lastly, where can I get these files from. I've looked on the satnet download site (as suggested my someone on this thread, but I couldn't find them there).

Regards,
GAH

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
GAH said:
Hi Guys,

I have a DBox2, and I'm currently using Newcamd 6.01. However, from what I can gather (and sorry if I'm going over old ground), if I use Newcamd 5.28 and the patched cardserver 0961 (can I use the 6.01 config file with it?), I don't have to change to Betad to use a Sky card ? Does the patched cardserver 0961 support Dreamcrypt/Firecrypt cards (as Betad does) ? And lastly, where can I get these files from. I've looked on the satnet download site (as suggested my someone on this thread, but I couldn't find them there).

Regards,
GAH

6.01 works only with betad, patched cardserver 0961 only with 5.28 for $ky. I tried both but decided to stay with 6.01. The config files are different= you can not use them accross the versions.
Run the daemons initially from the terminal, they are quite talkative and will point out any config issues. I managed to set them up using this thread plus Newcamd included readme's.
Patched cardserver was quite difficult to come accross, newcamd 6.01 is much easier to get...

pengo

Reaction score
chuckles said:
You are quite right, in fact I thought I had pointed this out in an earlier reply, but it must be in another thread, cos I cant see it now.
Unfortunately red devil had paid before it occurred to me. The prescriptive period for commercial debts is 6 years, after that you can tell a creditor to get lost provided, that is, that they have not made any efforts to recover the debt during that 6 year period.

Let me clear things up.
If the debtor has acknowledged the debt in the six year period since the debt commenced, or if a CCJ has been issued or indeed a statutory demand was issued, then the six years are irrelevant - it goes from when liability was accepted.

Worst case scenario - if Debtor X had a debt in year 1, acknowledged it in Year 6 just before the commercial debt limitation period runs out, the recovery company can then pursue you up to year 16 - The Statute of Limitations Act runs out after 'ten' years and technically you then own a 'new' debt for the original amount owed to the creditor to the recovery company acted on their behalf, commencing from the day of accepted liability - a really hot recovery company could use those addiotional ten years to screw you over for as much as they can (though in practice this worst case scenario only happens if it is megabucks)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
JTA said:
You need to change betad.cfg to point to the correct SERIAL_PORT where the Sky card is inserted (chip facing downwards) and to specify the correct BOXKEY (not needed for a FTV card).

OK, I see, how do I do this, what is the line to add for the serial port?

JTA said:
You also need to change newcamd.cfg to make a link to betad. There should be a line somewhere CWS = uds 1 (or2) local local
you can put all the cardserver lines in comments (add a # in front).

Did I get this right: You need to remove all other lines in the newcamd.cfg files by putting a hatch in front, and add the CWS = uds 1 (or2) local local ?

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
pengo said:
Let me clear things up.
If the debtor has acknowledged the debt in the six year period since the debt commenced, or if a CCJ has been issued or indeed a statutory demand was issued, then the six years are irrelevant - it goes from when liability was accepted.

Worst case scenario - if Debtor X had a debt in year 1, acknowledged it in Year 6 just before the commercial debt limitation period runs out, the recovery company can then pursue you up to year 16 - The Statute of Limitations Act runs out after 'ten' years and technically you then own a 'new' debt for the original amount owed to the creditor to the recovery company acted on their behalf, commencing from the day of accepted liability - a really hot recovery company could use those addiotional ten years to screw you over for as much as they can (though in practice this worst case scenario only happens if it is megabucks)

Hehe, this board is going bananas! I suppose the database got mixed up.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
T_G said:
Did I get this right: You need to remove all other lines in the newcamd.cfg files by putting a hatch in front, and add the CWS = uds 1 (or2) local local ?
this is my betad.cfg :
SERIAL_PORT = 1
USER = local local
BOXID = 0xxxxxxxxxx

this is the emu-part of newcamd.cfg :
#
# newcamd mandatory settings for control word servers (cws)
#
CWS = uds 1 local local
# CWS = 127.0.0.1 10000 local local 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 lan cardserv

this will link the serial port 1 (upper card slot) to newcamd thru betad. You might also have to chane the following switches :

# newcamd mandatory settings
#
# Use emulator?
EMU = yes
# if both control word server and emulator keys are available for the
# channel, which method should be tried first?
PREFER_EMU = no
# Autoupdate for Emu and Control Word Servers
# AU is always yes if there are betad UDS control word server
# connected to newcamd
AU = yes
#

this should do the trick.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheers man, will try it out!

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
7020S - Gemini 2.6 - Newcamd-betad6.05

Morning all! Theres alot of questions here that I've asked so hopefully this helps alot of ppl. I just tried watching Sky on my Dreambox for the first time using newcamd-betad6.05 with my sky card (official monthly subscription card) and I realised I dont need to put in the boxid to watch excellent stuff like:

Challenge, Channel 4, E4, Five (just here for completeness - I cant stand channel 5 ;)), UK Gold, UK G2, Discovery, UKTV People, Paramount, Bravo.

(I pretty much live for Challenge (who wants to be a millionaire, catchphrase, play your cards right, price is right) and E4 (big brother) and a bit of Only Fools and Horses on Gold now and then! Top Gear on UK people -- excellent taste in tv I'm sure you agree :p)

But alas I find out that I cannot watch Sky Movies 1, or any of the "Sky Movie" channels on my dreambox unlike my sky digibox which lets me no problem - obviously! I personally don't mind doing without sky movies - but I'm wanting to learn about why/how.

So my question is: what is this telling me? You dont need the boxid for pretty much all of my favourite channels...wow.. So does this mean theyre free? Are they available on a "yellow card" so I can stop paying monthly subscription fees?

Also:
What advantage would entering my boxid make to using my subscription card, let me watch Sky Movies perhaps? If Sky movies needs my boxid why doesnt challenge or UK Gold? (I realise boxid is irrelevant for yellow card)

Could I get a yellow card aswell as continuing my subscription? Would it need activated in a sky digibox? if so would it render that digibox useless for my subscription card?

I'm just baffled by this discovery, and hoping that I can go ahead and get a 1 off payment card from sky or anybody to get UK Gold and challenge and E4. I'd be happy with those 3 to be honest.

I've typed a bit of a book here but I hope this helps put the 1000's of ppl who obviously read this thread - and me - a bit closer to satellite paradise!!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Hi Thee will try and answer a few questions for you.

QQQQ
But alas I find out that I cannot watch Sky Movies 1, or any of the "Sky Movie" channels on my dreambox unlike my sky digibox which lets me no problem. (I personally don't mind doing without sky movies - but I'm wanting to learn about why/how)

Ans:- You need to input your boxid for these premiun channels.
A how to is on the forum here, So do a quick search.

QQQQ
So my question is: what is this telling me? You dont need the boxid for pretty much my favourite channels...wow.. So does this mean theyre free? Are they available on a "yellow card" so I can stop paying monthly subscription fees?

Ans:- Some channels dont need an id no, but need a valid card. There not free and only available on a valid Subscription card.

QQQQ
What advantage would entering my boxid make, let me watch Sky Movies perhaps? If Sky movies needs my boxid why doesnt challenge or UK Gold?

Ans:- Yes it will let you view Sky movies, Challenge not a priemium only basic package.

QQQQ
Could I get a yellow card aswell as continuing my subscription? Would it need activated in a sky digibox? if so would it render that digibox useless for my subscription card?

Ans:- Yes you could get a yellow card as well, and no your digibox is never usless. Cards are paired to a digibox. So your card wont work in another digibox because of the box id no, Only free to view cards work and maybe basic package ones.

QQQQ
I'm just baffled by this discovery, and hoping that I can go ahead and get a 1 off payment card from sky or anybody to get UK Gold and challenge and E4. I'd be happy with those 3 to be honest

Ans:- you cant get a one off payment card, you need to take out the basic package and pay for it every month.

QQQQ
........I was dreading entering config stuff to get Sky working today, but also weirdly disappointed! when I realised I didnt need to enter ANYTHING configuratory (new word) at all.. unbelievable.. Provided I use the card in the top slot, which is just what I wanted anyway... It's all too easy but I'm not complaining What the hell. why doesnt everybody do this and not bother with Sky Plus at all? -- cuz it's too difficult yes I know -- But I'm amazed with how easily I can watch/record my favourite stuff and alot more. I think I'm going to need a new hard drive.. or twenty..

Ans:- Entering the config stuff is quiet easy and loads of help here for you to do it. By not entering it you cant record Sports or movie channels. No much epg on dreambox but on sky plus it very to set up recording functions unlike dreambox.

Hope this might answer a few questions for you.
John