DrHD Grand Triple

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Hi All,

Decided to be a Guinea pig and pick one of these up it arrived yesterday but did not have time to have a proper play with it until the late/early hours, I will try and give a quick rundown on what i noticed so far.

1. It's huge :-) I chose the Twin Tuner mainly because of the price difference its the Non Linux version

2. It ships with 2 DVB-S2 Tuners and the 3rd is Blanked off for inclusion if you so wish of another DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-T/T2 as far as i am aware not available as yet.

3. Image size has increased from the F15's roughly 6mb to Grand's 60mb so similar to a Linux sized image

4. the Most important one Tuner Sensitivity is so far exactly the same as the F15 have not noticed any improvement or degradation in signal quality looks like they have stayed with the same Tuner's

5. The GUI this may not please everyone its a HD GUI only which i have always preferred but i do know some of you like the what i call Blade style one

6. All features are the same as the F15 including the Spectrum Analyser including some new ones mostly Facebook, Twitter Apps and the ability to stream media from your Pc/Nas drive etc..

7. The display is now similar to say my VU Uno its around 15 digits so displays the channel name or Both name/Number can be a little distarcting as there is no brightness control plus its scrolling as well, which fortunately can be turned off.

8. Takes a lot longer to boot than the F15 not timed them both but hazard a guess at around 3 times longer probably due to the extra features and the now increased image size.

Anymore questions and i will try my best to answer once i have had a proper play around with it.

Regards

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Time for an Update,

And its not a good one why oh! why did i not keep the F15 i have been asking myself over the last few weeks, anyway there appears to be some slight problems with this model not too sure if it can be fixed with Firmware i do hope so or if its something more to do with the different chipset used.

Ok First off is the Ultra HD test Transmission from Eutelsat 10A 10° east TP: 11304 H 27500 2/3 especially the first one as this is the only one that has Video and Audio: TOP_LEFT tried this on the Grand Triple and i have Audio but no Video, So i trotted off to my friend who has my old F15 Guess what no problem for the F15 Video and Audio Displayed fine.

Next one was the new AD Sports TP on AB7 7° west TP: 12467 H 27500 5/6 again the F15 displays Video and Audio even though the signal level is around 4db lower than mine due to dish size of course but again the Grand Triple does not resolve any Video or Audio despite having a decent enough lock.

I have informed DrHD who have replied once and since i keep updating them of the current issues which i do hope are Firmware related and not hardware, Hopefully they should be able to sort this out in the meantime anyone considering any of the 3 new models D15,Grand & Triple i would be cautious if you wanted to use the box for fringe reception as it does at this moment in time have several problems.

My advice if you can source an F15 get that if not wait a while.

Regards

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks for the update.

The new features (Facebook etc.) seem like gimmicks to me. I have no use for more than one tuner so it's a waste of money generally. The only reason I would upgrade to a new receiver is if it's significantly faster or more sensitive... or has some satellite related features that I like (like spectrum).

Still, it does sound like it's something that could be fixed with the firmware. Also, note that despite having a low signal lock on the F15, I don't always get a picture or sound. These receivers need a "full frame" received before displaying it. Whereas the Uno on the same satellite cable with the same low lock would display a broken video and a glitchy audio.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Hi CJ

I do get a similar output on some channels on the Triple broken audio but no video similar to the Uno i had, I have since solved the 7° west problem it appears that once you load a patched firmware there is a series of resets you have to do before updating the receiver so basically its reset box on current firmware then load new firmware reset box again and load everything back on. Now here is my problem once i loaded my channel list back on i found the same problem with 7° west so i reset again and did a brand new scan of the ARC and guess what no problem with AD sports on that transponder now coming in perfectly.

CJ, Not sure if you have seen the Solo2 in operation but the tuner sensitivity on this model is better than my Uno thats why i sold the Uno even though the tuners are hardware/CPU dependant they are more sensitive than the Uno's Silicone based tuners, Of course i can only speak for the Single tuner and not the dual tuner card, but the breakup on my Uno with latest drivers use to be around 33% on the Solo2 this has now dropped to 25% depending on transponder SR and FEC of course but some channel that i had breakup on the Uno now clear fine on the Solo2.

Anyway that still does not clear up the 10° east problem with the Triple anyway. Here's Hoping

Regards

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi digi,

How are you getting on with this now? I am on a lookout on a new receiver and the D15 seems credible for me.

Can you check something out on your GT please? On the F15 125 software version, with weak signals, I get a reading of SNR in dB even before a lock is obtained. For example, on weak Amos 3 transponders I get a reading of 4dB in red. However, with versions 127 and above, my "unlocked" SNR reading is between 2dB and 2.9dB if there's any sort of signal present (including the Amos 3 one giving me 4dB in 125 version) but it's not the actual level.

Can you check the behaviour of this on your receiver please?

Thanks
CJ

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Hi CJ,

I wish i could mate but my Gibby 1.2 is out of action at the moment due to some unfortunate bad luck with Gale force winds and not liking being up high, so currently its been taken apart while i sort out a Ground Mount position which could take a couple of months and to be honest with me Doing a Ground Mount i have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the Gibby 1.5.

What i can do is ask a mate of mine who has a CM 1.2 and has just purchased the D15 only a couple of days ago, if you can give me a few TP's you want trying i can ask him to give it a bash on his setup.

Regards

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi Digi,

Thanks for the offer. Basically, any weak transponder which is just under lock but still has some signal will do. Even just moving the dish sideways a little until the lock is lost would be good enough for the test.

CJ