Driving a Raven dish via 1224 and Technomate TM-5402

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish 1224 Supermount H to H motor, receiver tbd
My Location
Scotland
We have a 1.2m Channel Master/Raven dish on a 1224 supermount. We use a v-box ii originally from a humex receiver, the receiver has now met its maker, fallen off the perch etc etc.

We are looking to move to a technomate TM-5402hd m3, and wondering if there is a better way of driving the dish - I know the technomate supports direct dish movement, but I assume not directly to this mount.

Are we better keeping the v-box and just use pre-programmed positions for each satellite we are interested in, or is it worth upgrading to something that is more automatic?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Technomate should be fine with the V-Box 2 machine, though you should reset to factory before swopping over.

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Sorry, perhaps my post wasn't clear, I know the existing setup will work with the technomate.

I am asking if there is a better way.

diseqc will support directly driving a mount based on position calculated via the receiver for any satellite, is this possible with the 1224, and is it a more appropriate method if it is?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since you already have the equipment and cable running to the dish, keep it as it is.
The cost of adapting a Channel Master to full DiSEqC/USALs operation is going to be considerable, and the reliability of a motor on a fibreglass dish of 1.2m is in doubt, regardless of the reseller's claims.

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks, sort of expecting that, but wondered if there was a better option, my setup is somewhat old, and things move on.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Any receiver that has Diseqc 1.2 capability can drive your 1224 motor, and dish.
Setting up any new receiver is quite easy, as you just mimic the same positions, stored in your V-Box II, in your receivers settings.
If you have a Jaeger 1224 SMR motor you should be grateful, as they are extremely robust, and popular, nothing like the new, cheap motors.
The V-Box II should have an automatic re-calculation option, once you maximise your dish, on one satellite, it will adjust the same amount for the others, but even so fine tuning is best done manually.
I am using a VU+ Duo 2, on my 1.2M Channel Master, V-Box II, and Jaeger 1224 AMR, without any problems.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Are you sure the TM5402 is the best option? It's not the most modern receiver, missing 4K, HEVC and multistream.

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Probably not, just cheap and available.

We don't use it too much, so thought it may do enough for us

I had a technomate some years ago and was happy with it, never quite as comfortable with the humax.

What would you suggest, the number of satellite receivers appears to have dwindled (Except for freesat) and I am completely out of touch with it all now.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Familiarity goes a long way so I can see why the 5402 appeals. A receiver like the Octagon SX88+ will allow you to receive the FTA French terrestrial channels as well as Italian RAI services from 5W - these require a multistream capable receiver which the Technomate is not. Or there is the Octagon SX88 4K also gives access to the few FTA 4K channels that are out there.

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Familiarity goes a long way so I can see why the 5402 appeals. A receiver like the Octagon SX88+ will allow you to receive the FTA French terrestrial channels as well as Italian RAI services from 5W - these require a multistream capable receiver which the Technomate is not. Or there is the Octagon SX88 4K also gives access to the few FTA 4K channels that are out there.
OK, will take a look, never heard of octagon before

(Other than 8 sided!)

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Had a quick look, is the 8008 a better proposition - I know it's slightly more expensive, but looks similar at Circ £79 cf £75 for the 88.

The double sat tuner version at £110 looks even more enticing.

But I need to look at it a bit more before I decide, if I go away from the cheap simple option, it probably needs a good look out over the full range of what's available

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
SX88+ could be had for around £50 not so long ago. Beware that the SF8008 is a much more complicated system, however the simpler SX88+ (Define) firmware can be installed on it (though only operates a single tuner).

When looking at non 4k SX88+ receivers make sure it is the + version.

Blondegirl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
I have a feed from the motorised dish, and a couple from a sky dedicated dish, so could make use of the twin tuners.

I have to admit, the whole area has changed since I last looked, the dreambox was the dream back then.

The sx88 I was looking at was the sx88 4k uhd h.265 hevc HD + ott iptv version

The sx88+ se h.265 hevc HD + ott iptv version is around £44

I don't think I will get too much into it, we just dropped virgin, and are going back to free TV, freesat and "foreign" TV.

We used to look at 13, 19, and 28 - plus at one time Albanian TV (we had a football subscription for Premier league)

Hence the revamp of our system.

Really struggling with the lack of ci slots.

Have a big assortment of cams to go in

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
There's not much use for CAMs these days other than legitimate pay tv, which usually requires a CI+ slot.