Flashing Dreambox in Vista

mike69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7020, Vista Ultimate
My Location
Slovakia
I have DM 7020 and Vista in PC. Without any problems I can connect through ftp to Dreambox but it is not possible to flash a new image.

I had shut down Dream, holded "DOWN" button, switched on Dreambox, on the display appeared "STOP", but instead of IP adress there popped up dhcp... and nothing happened. No IP adress appeared.

Can somebody help me how to upload a new image to Dreambox without an RS232 cable (because RC232 connector is missing in PC).

Thanks for any advice.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Use Angry IP Scanner to scan your network to find out what IP address the Dreambox has aquired (Or check your routers interface to see whats connected). Once you have that you can go ahead and flash a new image.

mike69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7020, Vista Ultimate
My Location
Slovakia
I don't have a router, I have direct connection with static IP (no DHCP) so I will try the Angry IP Scanner.

Thank you very much for your advice.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
If you dont have a router and your PC is not providing DHCP, its going to be very difficult to find the IP address. I have no idea what ip address the Dreambox will default to when there is no DHCP server available.

Angry IP Scanner wont find the Dreambox unless you know the correct network range to scan, which you dont.
Also, the Ethernet card on your PC is probably set to use a different network than what the Dreambox is, further complicating things.

The easiest solution would be to borrow a router.

gerryl

Reaction score
What IP Address are you using to connect via FTP

What software are you 'tring' using to flash the Dreambox...disable DHCP and enter the same IP as FTP app is using

My Advice!...is don't flash DM with ethernet if it goes wrong yer fook'd...use null modem cable as ye can always reconnect!...you can get USB or PCIExpress Card to Serial converter for null modem cable if yer PC doesn't have one built-in!

best luck

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
gerryl said:
What IP Address are you using to connect via FTP

What software are you 'tring' using to flash the Dreambox...disable DHCP and enter the same IP as FTP app is using

My Advice!...is don't flash DM with ethernet if it goes wrong yer fook'd...use null modem cable as ye can always reconnect!...you can get USB or PCIExpress Card to Serial converter for null modem cable if yer PC doesn't have one built-in!

best luck
The problem is, he seems to have already erased the flash by holding the 'down' button whilst powering on, so he cant boot in order to change anything.

I've never had any problems flashing via LAN. If things do get messed up (which they never have for me) , you can always revert to null modem cable.

mike69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7020, Vista Ultimate
My Location
Slovakia
I have found out that without DHCP I am not able to flash Dream through LAN cable but I don't have serial port in pc so I really don't know what to do. I don't want to buy some adapters or router just for one time use.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
You will have to. There simply is no other way of doing it.

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
mike69 said:
I have found out that without DHCP I am not able to flash Dream through LAN cable but I don't have serial port in pc so I really don't know what to do. I don't want to buy some adapters or router just for one time use.

Well, if you don't want to buy a router ( ~ £50 you get a decent one) than flash it through the serial port. This shouldn't be a everyday operation anyway but certainly if you intend doing some testing and reflashing, you will get sick of the slow speed and the only way to go is through lan

P.S. On original 7020, when in flashing mode, the IP address picked up will be at the bottom of the display