Fortec Star Passion+ HDD record problem

nosser626

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
Dover Kent
Hello!
Would very much appreciate anyones help please.
Have a HDD 3.5" Core by CnM connected via the rear USB of my Passion+.
It allows me to record one HD programme and occassionaly two with perfect results, but when attempting to use the HDD again it announces that it is not ready or FAT32?
The only way to record on the HDD again is to format the drive.
Thanks, Bert.

seoras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
Inverness
Just make sure you're using the most up-to-date firmware from Fortec's site.
Try another drive (or USB stick) and if that works then your drive is maybe too slow or incompatible. My experience of the Passion+ is that it is fussy and erratic.

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
I find that this occasionally happens to me when I have used the front USB for another purpose - update etc - and then when you try to switch back to Rear USB it just seems to lose itself. Bear in mind that if you are switching between front and rear to allow 10seconds(ish) for the HDD to spin up to speed or that will generate a 'not ready' or 'Fat32 error.

In any case, I usually find that (after making sure that the correct USB is selected) just doing a cold reboot using the front panel switch sorts itself out. I have never needed to reformat a drive because of a Fat32 error.

The other thing I have noticed from other peoples posts, is that externally powered drives (yours is a 3.5, 2.5s are normally USB powered) seem to cause the most problems. I dont know the reason for this. But I would make sure that your HDD is powered on and spun up to speed before switching on the P+.

PaulH66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+ (PSU PCB labelled: F101 and T2AL 250V; C201 capacitor blown 19-Apr-2012)
My Location
London
If you press the 'USB' button on the remote and select 'Management' there is a menu option named 'HDD External Power Support' that can be set on/off.
This is not documented in my manual, but mine is set to 'on' and I have an HDD plugged into the mains supply.
Sometimes it works, sometimes I get the Fat32 error.
I just tried it set at off and then on, but doesn't seem to make any difference, i.e. it still worked when I went to look at 'HDD information' or 'Recordings' under the USB menu.

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
I have never made any sense out of this option either, although I have always used USB powered devices so I just assumed it related to externally powered HDDs.

The actual wording is quite ambiguous - does it mean HDD External Power Support is required from the USB port OR that it is not required from the USB port because it is supplied by the external device itself ??

nosser626

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
Dover Kent
Thanks to all for your help. I have since discovered that if I go to Management in the menu and select 'safely remove HDD' before switching off the HDD it has so far worked. I can restart the HDD, switch on the Passion and the HDD is recognised, so am keeping fingers crossed that this trick will continue to work.