Status
Not open for further replies.

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
All this discussion, and Brian/Tivu points scoring, begs the question- when will Freesat update their channel database so that a factory-reset-scan will produce a correct list?

On another subject, I replaced a 330 √F capacitor in my Passion+ when it died last week- an 88p repair. Hurrah!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It isn't Freesat's responsibility to direct the labelling of each Broadcasters' output in so far as the info carried by each Channel on its own frequency, alongside the Video/Audio, is concerned.

The Freesat EPG, like the Sky EPG is correct and is transmitted from a dedicated Transponder as a separate stream.

However, non-proprietary boxes, or even true Freesat boxes in non-Freesat mode, do not use the Freesat EPG but instead use the standard DVB S EPG data from the individual Channels.

Fortec Star Passion is not a proprietary Freesat box. It's a generic receiver with a "fix".

In a quirk of fate, the upcoming "Real Digital" Platform, which will also use a dedicated EPG, is going to use Fortec Star products as their "branded" hardware.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
mholyoake said:
Brian where can I get file EU_CHDB. I can't locate it in the zip channel list?
Cheers Mike.

It's a .dnl channel file which you place on your USB stick for uploading to your Passion.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Tivù said:
However, non-proprietary boxes, or even true Freesat boxes in non-Freesat mode, do not use the Freesat EPG but instead use the standard DVB S EPG data from the individual Channels.

The EIT channel data only gives now and next, whereas the Fortec Passion does indeed use the Freesat EPG 7-day data, the first non-proprietary STB to do so.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Indeed so. Non a proprietary Freesat box, but a generic box with a "fix".

But the enquirer jayartibee is asking when Freesat are going to correct their EPG so it comes up correctly after a Factory Reset of his Passion (presumably he is referring to those ETV names that were mentioned - but the proprietary Freesat EPG does not have these).

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
Indeed so. Non a proprietary Freesat box, but a generic box with a "fix".

But the enquirer jayartibee is asking when Freesat are going to correct their EPG so it comes up correctly after a Factory Reset of his Passion (presumably he is referring to those ETV names that were mentioned - but the proprietary Freesat EPG does not have these).

After a factory reset, you have a choice in the menu of Freesat or non-Freesat, so choosing Freesat as the default gives you the possibility of a 7-day EPG - if you wait long enough for it to fill. I had to initially leave the box on overnight for this to happen, but it seems to be faster now with the latest software.

Could be mistaken, but perhaps jayartibee didn't choose the Freesat option?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Might well be - thanks for the added detail: I think I didn't word my Post too well :)

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
The Passion holds the Freesat Channel data in its own internal database, and does not pick it up from any broadcast data. Only the EPG data is picked up from a TP transmission. On latest firmware, the EPG is filled completely within 4 minutes if left in the Guide, OR put into Standby. It doesnt matter whether you choose 'Freesat' or not during a Reset, as long as you go back into the Menu and set UK 7-day Guide to ON.

Each new release of the firmware has the Channel Data updated, but of course it is always considerably out of date. Hence why I keep my own personal channel list updated on a daily basis (almost) using SetEditPassion. Its also the reason I have made it available in the sticky, so that anybody can update themselves easily if they so choose to use my list. Alternatively, you can download SetEditPassion and do it yourself.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ah yes, shows how long I last did a reset. I thought I had the latest software, but I was still on the previous one. As you say Brian, setting the 7-day guide to ON populates the EPG list PDQ. Thanks.

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
thanks for all info- I was just frustrated that the only way I could get the proper channel list was by uploading Brian's- rather than getting the box to acquire them itself from a scan- Ind I don't think I understand why.

It's fine now with Brian's list off the stick but if I didi a fctory reset scan, I'd lose BBC HD, BBC1HD, and the interactice streams etc

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
as Brian said in the sticky,

"Please note, that until FS update the Freesat channel database with the new settings, if you ever do a factory reset it will be necessary to re-do these instructions again"

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion HD 83cm Dish
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Hello, well once again I return to France from the UK and find channels have vanished from my Fortecstar Passion HD. I see also that the new 5 US and others are also available. I have just tried to do a manual re-set for 4HD and channel 5. 4HD did not register/change at all, and 5 was placed at the end of the list as User Defined. Obviously I am doing something wrong...help please :-) If I do a factory reset I lose HD channels. Quite a while ago, Briangw very kindly placed his channel list on this site. I wonder Brian, as that worked without a problem last time, if you have an updated channel list available to download to include those channels that have changed, and the new ones? I would be very grateful if you did, as I am not very technical (same as many others who are having this problem) and as I said, the last time it worked fantastically. Many thanks for any help offered :-)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Hello Llew, just followed through with your suggestion. The file didn't want to load from the stick, but after several goes, it did go. Got the new channel 5, 5US and 5*., no problem, but the 4HD is freezing, more 4 the same, and BBC 1 HD no pic and sound breaking up. I have had no problems with reception before this. Any ideas? Also, I need to change some of the regional programmes. I can get the settings from Flysat, but can you remind me how to change them manually. As I said in my earlier post, I did try to change two channels, one didn't change at all, and the other was added to the end of the list as a user addition. Thanks again though for the list.
regards
Neville

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Hi Llew, I just found a new post from you regarding the channel list of the 06/12, and have updated that. 4 HD is good now thanks, but the E4 and More 4 are still freezing. As for the local channels, I have just seen that at then end of the list there are the ones I wanted, so these I can sort with SetEdit. However if anyone can explain how to update channel settings manually(ie for 5 usa + 1) on the Foretecstar passion HD I would be very grateful.
Thanks again
Neville

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Not sure what you mean Neville, You mean update an individual transponder? You use Advanced Scan and put in your parameters (frequency, SR, FEC).

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Hi Llew, yes I do mean individual channels, and yes, I have entered all the info into the "advanced scan" on the Passion HD. I seem to be having two problems with this, and I'm wondering if it's a problem with my STB as it has happened before. I enter all the info, press the red button to accept the changes, press the back button 3 times to get back to the main screen, only to find that the settings have not changed when I get back to the channel ie BBC HD or ITV 1 HD. I have spent the whole of tonight from 6pm trying to fix this. I downloaded from you your channel updates of the 06/12. On my screen it showed two ITV 1 HD, one at the very end of the list and another in position 10. the one in position 10 did not work, but the one at the end of the list did.... and I changed them around with SetEdit, only to find that the new one in the number 10 position no longer worked. When I went to set up both ITV 1 HD and BBC HD. the new settings were saved as user choice at the end of the list. The BBC HD works from that position, the ITV 1 HD does not. Any further suggestions? I look forward with interest to any suggestions :-(
Thanks for the help
Neville

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Seems like your Passion is having problems loading the list correctly if the channel numbering is as you say. Here's the list below as it should appear in Setedit.

Not sure why you are trying to update the channels, are they not working OK as they are?

Attachments

• Freesat.jpg
    Freesat.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 97

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I checked More4 on mine, no freezing. CH4HD is a known problem on th passion can sometimes skip frames.

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Morning llew, I uploaded your channel list (06/12) to the Passion, and I was able to view, no problem, BBC HD, and ITV1 HD. I originally changed the channel list using SetEdit v1 as I wanted BBC South not NE, and ITV Meridian, not TT ( no bias as I was born in the NE lol). After re-arranging the list, and uploading that into the Passion, that's where the problem started...I could no longer receive BBC HD or ITV1 HD. It looks as though somehow, during the channel list manipulation, these two channels had become corrupted/settings changed. Could this be the case? Has anyone else reported problems using the SetEdit programme? At the mo I have your unedited channel list running, but I would prefer to have my preferences. Is there any other channel editing programme recommended?....or is there something I am missing. Oh, refering to an earlier post, I still have a problem with the Passion HD in retaining updated tp info using "Advanced Scan" It looks as though the changes have been accepted, I leave the "Advanced Scan" option returning to main screen, but there the info tells me that the settings I had in-putted had not been changed/stored. I have also tried re-booting, but the settings remain unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.