Freesat 4K recordable box, picture enlarges

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + dish with hybrid quad long
Freesat 4k recordable box
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
I recently purchased a Freesat 4k recordable box, I changed the standard sky + lnb to a 6 port hybrid lnb. The picture on my tv randomly elongates while watching or recording programs. It didn't do this with my sky box or through the Freesat built in tuner on my tv.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What screen do you have ?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Couple of weeks ago I had a similar issue with a different box, was rapidly changing aspect ratios, turned out to be the 90 degree HDMI adapter i was using.

Have you tried a different HDMI input on the TV and a different cable? Do the TV's on-screen graphics show any indication it is switching aspect ratios? If you make a recording does the issue occur at the same points in the video?

If the television aspect setting is on 'auto' try setting it to wide or 16:9.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
My television was a Panasonic too. Try a different cable and a different HDMI input.

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Couple of weeks ago I had a similar issue with a different box, was rapidly changing aspect ratios, turned out to be the 90 degree HDMI adapter i was using.

Have you tried a different HDMI input on the TV and a different cable? Do the TV's on-screen graphics show any indication it is switching aspect ratios? If you make a recording does the issue occur at the same points in the video?

If the television aspect setting is on 'auto' try setting it to 16:9

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
The BBC or Netflix logo was disappearing off the top of the screen and the faces became elongated. Not sure if it was at the same point in a recording. The tv is set to 16:9 as is the freeview box. I have just changed the HDMI cable and also put it into a different port on the back of the tv. I'll monitor over the next 24 hours and let you know how it goes

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Since changing the HDMI cable and using a different port on the back of the tv the issue has decreased significantly, however the picture has become elongated on a few occasions but only for a few seconds. Any other ideas?

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
Yes I had trouble with the non recordable version and had to return it in the end (took a while to return as the staff were completely useless). It seems they haven't done a very good job at bug testing their receiver.

The problem for me occurred after a 6 hybrid lnb was installed aswell...

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
If you plug the Sky Box back in does the problem definitely disappear? Do you have another TV or monitor you can try the Freesat box on? Another option may be an HDMI-to-component converter. I don't believe there are any aspect switching signals sent over component. You may be limited to 1080i.

Otherwise complain to Freesat about their sub-par product.

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
If you plug the Sky Box back in does the problem definitely disappear? Do you have another TV or monitor you can try the Freesat box on? Another option may be an HDMI-to-component converter. I don't believe there are any aspect switching signals sent over component. You may be limited to 1080i.

Otherwise complain to Freesat about their sub-par product.
My sky box has been disconnected so I can't check that option. I will swap back to the original sky quad lnb over the next few days and see if that solves the issue. If it solves the issue then I will definitely be complaining to Freesat that their box is not fit for purpose when connected to a wideband lnb

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I doubt very much the outdoor equipment is to blame, even though you upgraded the LNB to cover the new device connections.

What is the version of firmware you are running on the box ?

You could try a relatively modest capacity USB stick in the back of the television to give FreeSat recordings in the meantime, though it won't provide dual watch/record options.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
In Settings -> Picture and Sound what is resolution set to? If its 'auto' try changing it 1080HD or vice-versa.

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
In Settings -> Picture and Sound what is resolution set to? If its 'auto' try changing it 1080HD or vice-versa.
The tv and Freesat are currently set to 1080HD

Fryuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northamptonshire, UK
I doubt very much the outdoor equipment is to blame, even though you upgraded the LNB to cover the new device connections.

What is the version of firmware you are running on the box ?

You could try a relatively modest capacity USB stick in the back of the television to give FreeSat recordings in the meantime, though it won't provide dual watch/record options.
The box is running the February update. 5.4.1.p2_ui_1.3.5