Newbie Here Freesat and Freesat from Sky using same dish

Duncan Thomson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + HD, Sky Plus, Freesat frm Sky
My Location
Aberdeen
Hi, I'm new to the forum so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum section.

My elderly Grandmother used to have a paid Sky Subscription, which after a period of time she cancelled but continued to use the standard sky box in freesat mode as her TV Arial wasn't working with freeview properly.

The dish that she was using was inherited when she moved into the house and I am unsure what condition it was in when the Sky was installed (the installers didn't check it or replace it and it seemed to work).

A while back (around 18 months) she had an issue with "No Satellite signal" and for some reason instead of phoning me (I am her grandson and usually deal with all this stuff) she called out a TV installer.

He proceeded to tell her that she needed a new dish, and when he found out the Arial wasn't working, he persuaded her to have that replaced too. Then when he found out she was using the sky box in freesat mode he told her she would be better off with a freesat receiver. So all of the above work was carried out and she paid up. (She is in her 90s so I think he may have taken advantage here somewhat).

Fast forward to the current day and she asked me if I could reconnect up her sky box as she find the EPG on the freesat receiver hard to use and see.

So I proceeded to reconnect it, only to find it said no satellite signal was being received.

I took the box home to my house and connected it up and it worked perfectly. The box is a Thomson DSI 4214.

The thing that's confusing me is that I thought that a dish aligned for Sky would work a freesat receiver and vice versa. My Sony Freesat TV certainly works ok with my sky cable plugged in.

Is there another frequency that the installed has aligned the dish to so that it sees Freesat but not Sky?

I have reset the Sky box to all the default transponder settings but it didn't fix the issue.

She is considering getting Sky + but as with many elderly people she worries about the costs of sky (thats why it was cancelled before) and I thought it would be a better idea to get a second hand sky + box with a no term contract that she could cancel if she decided Sky + wasn't for her.

Grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Many Thanks. :-)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they are the same satellite, the Thomson box probably has a power supply on the way out. New Sky contracts run for 12 months, whether a box is supplied or not.

Has she not tried using Freeview with her newly repaired aerial?

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Didn't Thomson and Amstrad have the same type of power supply a few years back? I'm sure that lots of them failed and I think you might just be right there RolfW. It makes sense because the Freesat box is working fine. Dish alignment does not seem to be the issue.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Didn't Thomson and Amstrad have the same type of power supply a few years back? I'm sure that lots of them failed and I think you might just be right there RolfW. It makes sense because the Freesat box is working fine. Dish alignment does not seem to be the issue.
Not the same power supplies in their digital receivers at all, although both manufacturers may have used the same under specified electrolytic capacitors. Thomson inherited its power supply design and spec from Grundig when Thomson took them over and the power supplies were all actually manufactured by Samsung!!!

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Hmm. Interesting, didn't know that! :eek:

Duncan Thomson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen
Thanks for the info. But if the box works fine at my house, does that not rule out the power supply? I do have Sky + HD with a quad LNB where as she only has (I assume) a single or dual LNB. I can take one of my boxes down there and try it just to double check its not this Thomson box.

To answer the question about the freeview, yes she has tried that and it does work, but she watches some channels that are on freesat but not freeview. Thanks for the info so far.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Power supply issues can cause weird and unpredictable results. You may want to try running the problematic box for a while to see if the problem re-occurs after it's warmed up or it could be the current required to run the single LNB was different from what your quad uses (especially if another box was connected to it) and one was pushing the ailing power supply over its limit or the other was helping keep the power supply going.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It could still be the box at fault if she only has a single or twin output LNB if it's the only box connected to it and unable to supply all the power it needs. Did you disconnect all your equipment from the quad to try her box out? If you didn't and connected hers to the spare quad outputs then your box could have been supplying the required current with hers just piggy-backing.

Having said that it could also be the LNB at fault. They do age and become fussy about the boxes they will still work with,

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham

Duncan Thomson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen
LNB must be ok if Freesat is working? When I tried the box at my house I disconnected my Sky + HD box, but my standard Sky + box and Sky boxes were connected in other rooms so I can try disconnecting them and run this box for a bit to see what happens.

I'll also try taking one of my working boxes to her house and see if I get the same issue as I did with hers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
At the end of the day if you're still unsure which is faulty a new LNB is not an expensive item to buy.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
LNB must be ok if Freesat is working? When I tried the box at my house I disconnected my Sky + HD box, but my standard Sky + box and Sky boxes were connected in other rooms so I can try disconnecting them and run this box for a bit to see what happens.

I'll also try taking one of my working boxes to her house and see if I get the same issue as I did with hers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks.

Was the cable replaced at the same time? Could be there is a kink in the cable or water is getting in?