Freesat + Saorsat on 28E ??

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This might help. Im not sure where this came from and I have no idea if its from Eutelsat but it'll give us some theoretical idea of the coverage.

The UK is under those multi coloured blobs up top centre
 

Attachments

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Heres a crop of the UK with approx locations added.
 

Attachments

G

garrick

Regular Member
Messages
122
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
If Ireland obtains 1 spot then acording to the map the rest of Britain would obtain 5 with overspill's into Ireland and the continent.
 
hexah

hexah

Specialist Contributor
Messages
2,565
My Satellite Setup
motorized Gibertini 85cm, fixed dishes from 1m to 64cm, generic FTA HD RX, TBS DVB-S2 PC card, a pile of bits and pieces
My Location
Hadrians Wall
That map is not very clear, but Ireland would need 2 spots to cover the country.

Bad news for anyone wanting satellite broadband internet via 9e.
 
Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
hexah said:
That map is not very clear, but Ireland would need 2 spots to cover the country.

Bad news for anyone wanting satellite broadband internet via 9e.
Two frequencies = double the capacity :D
 
Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I need to do that crop again - Ive dropped a Scotland label on Belgium :-rofl2
 
A

antenna1

Regular Member
Messages
106
My Satellite Setup
2.4M fixed and 1.0m Dish& Technomate receiver,
My Location
UK
Just some info here for you guys i install a lot of vsat 2way satellite broadband i have installed a few eutelsat tooway KA-BAND band systems and i can tell you that the signal drops down loads when it rains compaired to KU-Band, One of the the reasons for lots of spot beams on the new KASAT 9'E is high eirp levels and loads of data capacity and also lots of frequencies avalible to reuse in diffent spot beams its all about getting as much data capacity out of the satellite as possable and also more local regional ip addresses like if you had a spot beam over Wales and on the ROI and then one on Conwall for example the could all use the same frequnce range and all also have different pools of ip address so a spot beam over wales would show a welsh ip range so local adverts would show up on things like google searches etc,
 
G

garrick

Regular Member
Messages
122
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
antenna1 said:
Just some info here for you guys i install a lot of vsat 2way satellite broadband i have installed a few eutelsat tooway KA-BAND band systems and i can tell you that the signal drops down loads when it rains compaired to KU-Band, One of the the reasons for lots of spot beams on the new KASAT 9'E is high eirp levels and loads of data capacity and also lots of frequencies avalible to reuse in diffent spot beams its all about getting as much data capacity out of the satellite as possable and also more local regional ip addresses like if you had a spot beam over Wales and on the ROI and then one on Conwall for example the could all use the same frequnce range and all also have different pools of ip address so a spot beam over wales would show a welsh ip range so local adverts would show up on things like google searches etc,
Do you happen to know how many spot beams would be used to cover the UK. If so which area's would benefit ?
 
P

PaceUser75

Member
Messages
11
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (Pace 9F3002)
My Location
London SW18
garrick said:
Then why don't they join FREESAT and arrange their frequancies so that only a dedicated FREESAT reciever and not a SkY reciever. This might be the start of SkY losing their empire.
Saorsat is not an UK FREESAT equivalent, nor will it ever be. Saorsat is primarily for those 5% of the Irish population who won't be able to receive the DTT channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 amongst others) when the switch-over takes place at a later date. This is all run by the government, even though the TV license funded channels carry commercials as well :eek:
 
S

sexiboi

Member
Messages
5
My Satellite Setup
Don't have any yet... looking at portable freesat/saorsat systems. Want to be able to receive RTÉ and as much else as I can without contract - however I can manage that! ;-)
My Location
Salford
I thought saorsat on 9E would only be available in the single spot beam that covers most of the rep of Ireland, with interference from the same freq/polarisation (?the horiz/vertical thing) being used for the french spot covering Calais area, thus preventing any realistic hope of picking up a signal in Britain regardless of dish size.

However, will they not need to use the spot covering NI and west Scotland too? to provide signal to Donegal and NI? If so, then the next spot with the same freq/polar-thingy combination is Spain I think, so British punters would be able to receive it would they not?

I'm really new to the world of satellite tv, haven't got any system yet, but want to get free channels in UK and RTÉ stations... pref without any charges. Any advice/hints/links/help in this regard are very welcome.

Thanks,
Dec
 
excollier

excollier

Bikes, Booze & Blues
Messages
931
My Satellite Setup
TD 78 and Freesat+
My Location
Furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Apparently, the spot for the Republic will suffice for NI and Donegal, just a larger dish, but it won't extend to GB because th crossover will cause too much trouble.
This has been extensively discussed on boards.ie
 
Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
excollier said:
Apparently, the spot for the Republic will suffice for NI and Donegal, just a larger dish, but it won't extend to GB because th crossover will cause too much trouble.
This has been extensively discussed on boards.ie
And its all complete guesswork until Ka-Sat is fully operational :D
 
P

pajo100

Regular Member
Messages
121
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
Nobody knows how the spot beams will cover ROI but with parts of the UK only about 100 miles away it will be impossible for them to be so tight ,take for example the new Thor sat which was only supposed to cover scandinavia and can be received in N Europe with larger dishes so spillover will be inevitable that is if it ever gets started as no contracts have been signed yet and the new Gov. in the Republic has no money so it could be put in to cold storage until God knows when.
 
excollier

excollier

Bikes, Booze & Blues
Messages
931
My Satellite Setup
TD 78 and Freesat+
My Location
Furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Saorsat has already started test broadcasts.
 
P

pajo100

Regular Member
Messages
121
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
excollier said:
Saorsat has already started test broadcasts.
You are correct mate started on the 24th so something must be signed which is news to me.
Can you get it with a KA LNB??
 
excollier

excollier

Bikes, Booze & Blues
Messages
931
My Satellite Setup
TD 78 and Freesat+
My Location
Furthest outpost of the EUSSR
pajo100 said:
You are correct mate started on the 24th so something must be signed which is news to me.
Can you get it with a KA LNB??
Yes, but Ka lnbs are not the easiest things to get. Should be readily available, and more importantly, affordable, later inthe year in time for official launch.
 
adonis1

adonis1

Specialist Contributor
Messages
1,429
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini dish 1.55 Χ 1.66 ( 100.5°E -45.0°W) ku lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2db - Ku band Circular Uni Inverto BLACK Pro 0.2db / / C-Band lnb Titanium wide band - Pauxis 13°- K Panorama 13°K
DR.HD F-15 - Openbox S11 HD - TM-5402 HD M3.
My Location
Syros island - Central Aegean sea - Greece
excollier said:
Yes, but Ka lnbs are not the easiest things to get.
Norsat UK
The Old School
South Carlton, Lincoln
LN1 2RL United Kingdom
tel: +44 1522 730 800
fax:+44 1522 730 927

more : -http://www.norsat.com/ka-band-lnb/blog
 

Attachments

P

pajo100

Regular Member
Messages
121
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
Yet more expense for the customer unless they subsidise them ,they need their heads examined for using that sat when there are lots of cheaper and universal frequencies available on Astras and Eutelsats birds I just do not understand the logic of it.
 
Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
47,872
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
pajo100 said:
Yet more expense for the customer unless they subsidise them ,they need their heads examined for using that sat when there are lots of cheaper and universal frequencies available on Astras and Eutelsats birds I just do not understand the logic of it.
Its the only European bird that can guarantee minimal overspill so they dont have the expense of encryption.

Its on the highest part of the arc so slantwise atmospheric absorption of the Ka band signals is minimised - important where it rains a lot.. :D

Its just a fill in service for areas that cant get dtt transmissions.

RTE cant go fta on 28E as the satellites have too wide coverage and the additional expense of purchasing the rights would be prohibitive.
 
excollier

excollier

Bikes, Booze & Blues
Messages
931
My Satellite Setup
TD 78 and Freesat+
My Location
Furthest outpost of the EUSSR
adonis1 said:
Norsat UK
The Old School
South Carlton, Lincoln
LN1 2RL United Kingdom
tel: +44 1522 730 800
fax:+44 1522 730 927

more : -http://www.norsat.com/ka-band-lnb/blog
But how much do they cost. Can't see a price there, but I do seem to remember that they were very expensive.
Being realistic they would need to retail for under €30 or else many would say no way.
 
Top