Freesat + Saorsat on 28E ??

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Itis rummered that if the Irish saorsat come's on air it may use the KA spotbeam system in the 28e slot. If a person could obtain a combined Ku/Ka LMB, could the FREESAT reciever show the Irish channels ??:confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Lol its going to be Ka band on Eutelsat Ka-Sat at 9E New dish, new kit required.

Ultra tight spot beams as well - the west coast of the mainland UK might have a chance, but not the Midlands for example.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
So if i got the new dish i could recieve it in BLACKPOOL!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Not neccessarily - Im talking ultra tight spots. And Ive got the satellite wrong - its going to be Ka-Sat (I'll correct the post above to avoid confusion)- and she carries 80+ spot beams so you can guess just how restricted coverage is going to be.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Doe's this mean Britain might end up with either 2 or 3 ultra-tight spots and if so what channels can go on them??

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I havent the faintest idea.

AFAIK Soarsat is the only service that has announced so far its going to be using Ka-Sat for broadcast purposes.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
When the new ASTRA satellites slot into 28e they should be carrying the Ka system. If so then people will have to obtain a combined Ku/Ka LMB.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The 28E Ka might just be used for internet by satellite delivery :D

Otr they might be used for Nigeria :-rofl2

Theres no point guessing - they are 2 years away yet and have barely started construction.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
If Ireland's not careful it's going to end up with people choseing FREESAT on 28e and not SAORSAT on 9e. Britain used to have two systems until BSB went "bust". Ireland is a small country in population.

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
garrick said:
If Ireland's not careful it's going to end up with people choseing FREESAT on 28e and not SAORSAT on 9e. Britain used to have two systems until BSB went "bust". Ireland is a small country in population.

Yes a really stupid decision but not finalised yet as contracts have not been signed and they are only rumoured to be doing this to spite sky as they charge a fortune to use their epg and encryption system but for the min 25% of irish people who can not get the DTT service it is still a total waste of money to have the expense of buying a new dish kit and stb.

Then again this might never happen as the irish economy is in a dire situation atm with huge balance of payments problems running in to billions of euro and the present government in a difficult position as they will be kicked out next year with new elections so maybe it is all just wild speculation.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Then why don't they join FREESAT and arrange their frequancies so that only a dedicated FREESAT reciever and not a SkY reciever. This might be the start of SkY losing their empire.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Why don't they set up a different encryption on the RTE channels so that it can be decrypted by their own box?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cost - its not cheap to licence another encryption. They would also lose whatever commercial deal was struck to get them on satellite in the first place - ISTR it was cheap or free carriage that swung them onto satellite.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
From what I've been reading about Ka Band it seems that anyone outside the target area is going to struggle with reception because firstly these new Ka spot beams are going to be very tightly shaped with little bleed outside of the target area, and secondly, frequency reuse is going to be the major stumbling block. Lets say for example RTE is broadcast on frecuancy A on the Irish Spot Beam, any broadcast on a UK spot beam using the same frequency would completely drown out the Irish signal, making it near impossible to recieve.

I can well see these new beam shaping technologies being the thing that will finally kill off c/s and the use of foreign subs.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The choice of 9E is primarily as the elevation of the satellite is somewhat better in the far West (Galway?) than any broadcast from Astra 2 in the East of Ireland.
KA band reception has a number of atmospheric anomalies associated with broadast and reception at lower elevation angles, and the country is reknowned for a wetter than usual climate.

_http://www.tele-satellite.us/TELE-satellite-0709/eng/feature.pdf

JOHN896

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Dish Fixed On 9.0 East Ka Band.Channel Master 1.2m Dish.Satellite Reception From,53.0E-45.0W.
My Location
Swansea Uk
Will be good when Rte do go live on 9 east next year want to put my 2.4m dish on 9 east,with ka band lnb to see what signal i can get.If i do get a good signal,bye bye Sky Ireland and bye bye Satellite agent in Dublin.

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
My Location
Ireland
Channel Hopper said:
The choice of 9E is primarily as the elevation of the satellite is somewhat better in the far West (Galway?) than any broadcast from Astra 2 in the East of Ireland.
KA band reception has a number of atmospheric anomalies associated with broadast and reception at lower elevation angles, and the country is reknowned for a wetter than usual climate.

_http://www.tele-satellite.us/TELE-satellite-0709/eng/feature.pdf

Absolute poppycock both signals are 94% quality with a 60cm dish on ALL of the west coast with a decent receiver. I have stayed up and down it and should know!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
CH is talking about atmospheric absorption of Ka band signals not Ku band :D

A shallower slant path from 28E compared to 9E would lead to far greater damping of the Ka signal on a wet day.

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
fergyc said:
Why don't they set up a different encryption on the RTE channels so that it can be decrypted by their own box?

Yes this is in the pipeline they will have a dedicated box but the encryption is expensive.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Analoguesat said:
CH is talking about atmospheric absorption of Ka band signals not Ku band :D

A shallower slant path from 28E compared to 9E would lead to far greater damping of the Ka signal on a wet day.

What area of europe would 9E signals cover with the Ka band system and would britain have to obtain several Ka spots due to their size ?