Freesat + Saorsat on 28E ??

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Its the only European bird that can guarantee minimal overspill so they dont have the expense of encryption.

Its on the highest part of the arc so slantwise atmospheric absorption of the Ka band signals is minimised - important where it rains a lot.. :D

Its just a fill in service for areas that cant get dtt transmissions.

RTE cant go fta on 28E as the satellites have too wide coverage and the additional expense of purchasing the rights would be prohibitive.

They have to use encryption as pay services will follow as promised.

Fill in service I don't think so as experience has shown over the past 30 years or more the VHF and UHF services can not be received by 30-40% of the population ,ask anyone in west cork or kerry the service is rubbish.
No wonder sky were rubbing their hands having nearly half a million subscribers in the Republic and realising that Saorsat on that 9East bird will not be a threat to there profits!!

Rights issues can be sorted by soft encryption with Saorview STBs

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
What has reception of UHF/VHF signals got to do with reception of Saorsat? The whole point of it is that it will provide people in those areas an alternative. A FTA receiver + LNBF is nothing in comparison to a yearly, on-going Sky subscription.

Soft encryption with Saorview STBs doesn't make any sense - Saorview is DVB-T not DVB-S/S2.

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
My Location
Ireland
Do you not know the existing analogue system uses VHF/UHF and Saorsat is just to bridge the gaps in reception of UHF DVB-T mpeg4 NOT a alternative so they reckon only 10% of the population will need it.

Encryption is used in the UK with DVB-T so why not use it as it is perfectly logical.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Right Here's some info, thanks to Apogee and The Cush from Boards.ie

Saorsat Tp on Ka-Sat = 20185 MHz
Ka Band LNB LO = 18750 MHz
IF Frequency = 1435 MHz (20185 MHz - 18750 MHz)

Ku receiver frequency displayed = 11185 MHz (IF 1435 MHz + Ku Lo-Band LO 9750 MHz)
scan that frequency with SR 25000, FEC 1/2, QPSK, DVB-S2.

Hope this is useful.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
pajo100 said:
Do you not know the existing analogue system uses VHF/UHF and Saorsat is just to bridge the gaps in reception of UHF DVB-T mpeg4 NOT a alternative so they reckon only 10% of the population will need it.

Your original statement of "Fill in service I don't think so as experience has shown over the past 30 years or more the VHF and UHF services can not be received by 30-40% of the population" makes no sense. Saorsat is a separate platform designed to meet the requirements of the remaining 10% of population who can't receive DTT. It's an alternative option for those people to view the Irish channels for free.

pajo100 said:
Encryption is used in the UK with DVB-T so why not use it as it is perfectly logical.

How will encrypting the DTT signal help the remaining 10% who are out of range of the UHF DTT service?

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
It's an alternative option for those people to view the Irish channels for free.

Afraid not because no one is going to spend money on a new dish and fitting.

How will encrypting the DTT signal help the remaining 10% who are out of range of the UHF DTT service?

They have to encrypt because of rights issues.

Moderation

BB Code fixed

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
It's an alternative option for those people to view the Irish channels for free.

Afraid not because no one is going to spend money on a new dish and fitting.

That's only your opinion. Do you reckon they'd prefer to hand over €264 every year instead to Sky? If they already have a 80/90cm dish, then they don't need a new dish either.

They have to encrypt because of rights issues.

Do you not understand the difference between DTT and Satellite? There are no rights issues on DTT. There are rights issues on Ku-band satellite because of the size of the footprint. A Saorview receiver is of no use for satellite.

Moderation

BB Code fixed

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Tsiklon said:
That's only your opinion. Do you reckon they'd prefer to hand over €264 every year instead to Sky? If they already have a 80/90cm dish, then they don't need a new dish either.

You are out of touch my friend as nearly 50% of people outside of cabled areas ALREADY have a dish and are not subscribed to sky.FACT

Do you not understand the difference between DTT and Satellite? There are no rights issues on DTT. There are rights issues on Ku-band satellite because of the size of the footprint. A Saorview receiver is of no use for satellite.

There are rights issues with EVERY transmission system that's why each individual country has to pay for premium services from hollywood studios etc. nothing is FTA except national stations on sat and DTT .
Also I know more about SAT and DTT than you having been in the trade for 40 years and as for your replies they are completely contradictory and you are only confusing folks.
I am in the Saorsat area and know what is happening.
End of conversation.

Moderation

BB Code fixed

Tsiklon said:

You are out of touch my friend as nearly 50% of people outside of cabled areas ALREADY have a dish and are not subscribed to sky.FACT

There are rights issues with EVERY transmission system that's why each individual country has to pay for premium services from hollywood studios etc. nothing is FTA except national stations on sat and DTT .
Also I know more about SAT and DTT than you having been in the trade for 40 years and as for your replies they are completely contradictory and you are only confusing folks.
End of conversation.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
What happened there???:confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's a diagreement of opinion I think.

The Mods and Admins are letting the thread run but we are keeping an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't descend into flaming - which I'm sure it won't! Remember to keep it at discussion level please folks.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
pajo100 said:

You have a source to back this 50% up?

pajo100 said:

There are no plans for any pay services on DTT in Ireland in the medium or long term.

pajo100 said:
End of conversation.

You still haven't explained how the use of Saorview receivers and soft encyption is of any relevance to those people who can't receive DTT.

I'm already receiving the Saorsat test transmissions and am unclear what relevance your profession has to this discussion.

traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
az box hd premium dell inspiron
My Location
ramsgate kent
proberbly find the murdoch lot will tell the council to tell you that a 1 mtr dish is max in u.k.. (everything i try is blocked)

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
traveller said:
proberbly find the murdoch lot will tell the council to tell you that a 1 mtr dish is max in u.k.. (everything i try is blocked)

It is not for the UK mate only Republic of Ireland residents.

traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
az box hd premium dell inspiron
My Location
ramsgate kent
thank you for the reply, but i do not want the irish version i just want the t version that is o/k for europe and the present u,k mainland, i also do not want the t2 hd version as we havent even got hd freeview yet, and that system will not work in france as their hd is only 8mb and works fine on the dvb t tuner. but trying to get one is a bad as the archos 5.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You have tacked your comments and query onto a Thread concerned with Satellite services.

Please find the correct Forum .................

I suggest Terrestrial Television, Digital and Analogue and start a new Thread with a suitable Title.

Please also reword your query as it makes little sense as it stands.

Once you have done that, I will tidy up this Thread.