GPS forum, yay! Love my phone GPS!

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
So I see we now have a GPS forum here - 'bout time! ;)

I've got a bluetooth GPS receiver that I use with my Nokia 6630 and, when it works, it's great. I've got TomTom Mobile 5 on it as well as TomTom Citymaps (I've used NY, Lisbon and London) and Wcities NYC.

I've got so used to city maps of "new" cities that I would feel lost (excuse the pun!) without them loaded and my BT fired up! Not to say that there aren't problems - trying to get a lock in Manhattan isn't easy, especially if you've just come out of a building or from underground. But when it works it's amazing and in a bustling metropolis you blend in more because you're looking at your phone (like all the locals seem to do!) and not at a bloody awkward paper map!

So, who else has "personal" GPS here (not the incar kind)?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
As my "normal" mobile is slowly dying, can you recommend a phone that can be used with TomTom and a bluetooth gps unit?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The new Nokia E61 is a little cracker, got one sat here at the moment and it stands up well with my ipaq 6340.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
My phone is pretty old now and it's the only phone I've used sat nav on - So my advice wouldn't be the best!

If you can wait until next year, and if you are willing to spend a fairly considerable sum, Nokia are bringing out a phone (the N95) with GPS built-in that comes preloaded with free maps and sat nav software.

Getting my phone to pair up with the BT unit is usually easy enough - but sometimes there's connection problems. With GPS built-in this wouldn't be a problem. But then, with GPS built-in there's no flexibility about where you put the antenna - in New York I was able to put my BT unit on my shoulder (strapped on to my bag) - better chance of getting a LoS that way!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I can wait and not looking to spend much ;) I use an HP pda for my sat nav but having a phone that can do it (provided the screen is a decent size and takes an SD card and plays mp3 and is small; I don't want much :) ) seems a good idea.

What's LoS?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wouldn't advise one with integral GPS, as it does mean that it needs to be stuck on the dash in a very obvious place. My Bluetooth GPS module sits nicely tucked between the windscreen and dash and the Ipaq sits in a cradle off to the side and out of the way.

LoS = Line of sight. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I didn't replace my phone, which is now almost dead.

Does anyone know which phones support TomTom or a website that lists them?

I'm considering the 6680 as it seems to have a better reputation for reliability than any of the Nokia Nxx range. Are there any others worth considering, ideally with a 2M camera (and isn't the SE 990i)?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Well, I've got an N73 now and with whatever firmware is on it now it is more stable than my old 6630.

Most of the N Series range (and E Series IIRC) have excellent free GPS software from Nokia. On my N73 I have Nokia Maps (free sat-nav with additional pay-for features) and Sports Tracker (completely free, GPS exercise/training program.)