Greek TV here in Essex???

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
currently full sky package with sky plus.
have an 80cm dish also.

windows xp with telewest broadband
My Location
south essex
Hi,
I live here in south Essex, and I was wondering what I would need to pick up Greek TV. Which is for me to improve my Greek language learning.

Yours Hopefully

Dave

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
flyingdogguitar,

A 60cm on either 13e or 39e for mixed channels in Greek.
Rik & Ert are free to air and are usually a popular request.

Take a look at the search results for Greek TV:

_http://en.kingofsat.net/find2.php?pos=&cl=gre&num_pays=31&num_genre=&num_crypt=&num_standard=Digital&ordre=freq

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
thanks for the reply, but you must forgive me here, as I'm a complete novice with regard to satelite stuff. I'm not sure what I'll be able to receive? or for more programmes who I'd pay a subscription fee to.

Many thanks

Dave

tomslick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM9100super X3
90cm Motorised Dish
My Location
Cork, Ireland
Hello. You can pick up anything you want/pay for in essex. You'll need at least a 60cm dish to pick up a good signal. A Lidl sat system will do for a FREE setup. Once you have decided what you want to get ie channels then you'll be able to get better info regarding pay systems etc.

I can pickup all Greek TV here in southern ireland so you'll have no problem.
Post what channels you want and we'll be able to direct you better.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
flyingdogguitar said:
Hi,
thanks for the reply, but you must forgive me here, as I'm a complete novice with regard to satelite stuff. I'm not sure what I'll be able to receive? or for more programmes who I'd pay a subscription fee to.

Many thanks

Dave

Did you go to the link that SM posted??

It gave all the Greek channels that are available subscription or free.

Here is a shorter list of just the free channels:-

_http://www.flysat.com/tv-gr.php

39E, looks to be the best bet. You would receive all those, without paying subs.

A greek Nova subscription card can also be bought from one of the online card retailers.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
thanks for that! I think I can see the wood for the trees now. When it comes to setting the dish up, is it true the dish will have to look towards the southern sky? I could probably put a fixed pole in my back garden looking south. But towards the south of my house, there are a row of houses in the distance. How low on the horizon does the dish have to point?

Cheers

Dave

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
To point your dish, check dishpointer.com

It gives you a green line, point it that way.:)

It also tells you how low, without checking I expect it will be about 20 degrees, maybe alightly less.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Before you invest in a satellite receiver, take into consideration that you might want to subscribe to Nova Greek Package later on, when you find out that the FTA channels are not that exciting.
In this case, buy a receiver that has Irdeto encryption support and a suitable CI CAM.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
thanks for that folks. Can these receivers be picked up on places like ebay.
Also, would I be correct in saying, that all these items need to be digital, and not anologue?
Hopefully, I shan't be breaking any forum rules here. But, can anyone recommend any reputable satelite retailers here in south Essex?

Many thanks

Dave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
also, can the Nova access cards be purchased here in the uk? I think I may have read somewhere that they had to be purchased in their mother country.

Many Thanks

Dave

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
flyingdogguitar said:
Hi,
also, can the Nova access cards be purchased here in the uk? I think I may have read somewhere that they had to be purchased in their mother country.

Many Thanks

Dave

You can get them in the UK, but tend to be expensive as you are paying the middleman as well. If you have contacts in Greece get the subscription sorted out there. If not have a look at Marconi Digital:

_http://www.marconidigital.com/

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
further to my recent post's "Here in Essex". Out of the blue, a work collegue of mine brought around a satellite dish and receiver. It's a Technomate TM-5500 DACI, and the dish is 1.0 metre, which has a Manhatten H-H mount. Unfortunately, the last owner has just cut the leads off which go into the back of the mount. Being a novice here, can I just unscew the back of the unit to see their attatchment point.
I also, do not have a manual. Is it possible to download one off of the internet? Also, I'm not sure what plugs into what at the back of the receiver.

Yours hopefully

Dave Carey

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
36V motors usually have 4 wires coming out, does it have 4?

2 will be the 36V wires, with Gnd and 36V being fed to them, swap them over to move the motor the other way. The other two wires normally go to a reed switch. The 36V must not be connected to these as it will burn out the switch. Take the connection plate off,it should be obvious which wires are which. ( It was with the two 36V motors I last took apart anyway)

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
You can download a manual for the Technomate TM 5500 DACI here:-
_http://www.technomate.com/support.php

By the way this receiver is capable of picking up both analogue and digital
channels.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
thanks for that. Some of the font is readable, but the rest is gobledegook, But I there's enough there to keep me going. Do you happen to know if this receiver will pick up Greek tv from the Hotbird satellite? I know the the subscribed channels have a thing called Irdeto encrytion. But I'm not really sure what that entails?

Many Thanks

Dave

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Possibly not, it will need an Irdeto CAM in it if not. The Current Technomates do for sure, Iv'e seen one working with a Gamma card in it.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
hi,
I'm working a little blind here. But I've just connected a coaxial cable to the mount (in the lounge!), but, I'm not sure which connector it attatches to at the back of the receiver...would it be input A, or RF in?
Sorry it's a bit vague, but I'm itching to get the thing fired up.

Dave

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Out of the two I would pick Input A. As the RF in would be TV aerial input normally. Normally the satellite input is labelled 'satellite' or IF or LNB or something similar.

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I use the TM 5000 DAPCI which is similar. Remember there are two sat imputs, one is analogue and the other is for digital.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have an 80cm dish also.

My Location
south essex
Hi,
thanks for that. I managed to power up the receiver and run some coaxial to the motor. And I can look at the display on the tv and the motor does operate ok. Even though the dish isn't up on the wall yet. The only thing is, whilst looking on the internet. It said that I need to get the dish to point to zero degrees azimuth. But, as I don't have the manual for the receiver, I'm not sure how to go about that?

Many Thanks

Dave