Have i been ripped off?

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
At the beginning of the football season i paid a seemingly reputable company £1800 for a Nova system. It worked fine for a couple of weeks then got blocked. The company then said i would need a new box and card which he sold me for another £120. Two weeks later the same thing happened only this time he had no solution and told me he had fallen out with Nova and had lost our money and his company had ceased trading. Then out of the blue last week i get an email from him trying to sell me a tring system as an alternative for another large amount of money (which i obviously declined).

Has anyone else come across anyone with similar problems?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Does the name of the firm include a well known bird of prey?

(If it does, merely say yes - do not state the name)

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
No it doesn't, i dont know if throwing names around on here is allowed as ive only just joined.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
In the case of the firm I had in mind, throwing the name around would have been ill-advised.

But as it isn't that firm (at least, not in a recognisable guise) ..............

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Did your system have a Nova card with it or were you connecting to your router?

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
It was a Nova box and card, then had to purchase a new box and card. So now stuck with 2 apparently useless Nova boxes.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you by any chance using it in a pub? A large number of cards were switched off by Nova, instigated by their use in pubs, if you are not running a pub, you are possibly collateral damage.

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
Yeah it was in a pub. The guy who sold us the thing couldnt give us any straight answers as to why they had. He did however say that i was in a contract with Nova and they would send me another box and card from Greece if i signed his disclaimer freeing him of any responsibility, which i dont trust for one second.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You take a risk with these cards.

For starters they are all for residential use only, and if the pay tv company gets an idea you are using them in a pub they will be turned off instantly as you are breaking the t&c's of their use.

And the answer your original question - yes you were ripped off.

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
Thanks for letting me know. I was obviously miss sold the system as the guy came to my pub, installed it and reassured me it was a legit pub system. Now its the long haul through the small claims court i suppose and very doubtful anything will come of that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thats chucking money down the drain. Write it off to experience and put your beer up 2p a pint to cover the cost!

wds1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nova gr
My Location
chelmsford
Ha ha, if it were only that easy, this fella has squeezed the last few penny's out of a dying pub. We did the Sky option and £500 a month was what pushed us toward these dodgy people. Such a shame Sky dont do a pay per game type system. Well thanks again for the advice :)

robbiemcd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800 +diablo - im motorised dish
My Location
belfast
Apparently there was one guy in Greece who was supplying most of the UK, he had a nova franchise, nova found out he was exporting cards and revoked his franchise and switched off all of his cards, as you said you paid £1800 that leads me to believe your seller bought your system from this source as his sellers on eBay UK were selling the systems fit approx £1100. Literally hundreds of cards were switched off and no one got any come back and the guy lost his franchises.

martinuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB & Feedhorn, with Tm.Vbox &Technomate 5402HD
My Location
uk-stoke-on-trent
We were going have 3pm games in our pub but just not worth the hasstle and pluss get all dick edds in your pub when football is on

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
wds1972 said:
Ha ha, if it were only that easy, this fella has squeezed the last few penny's out of a dying pub.

Sad to hear but all too common these days. When you close invite all the locals in, have a damn good night and see if they can drink the place dry!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wds1972 said:
Ha ha, if it were only that easy, this fella has squeezed the last few penny's out of a dying pub. We did the Sky option and £500 a month was what pushed us toward these dodgy people. Such a shame Sky dont do a pay per game type system. Well thanks again for the advice :)

Shame to hear it's last orders soon. For many pubs round here installing a TV for the football, legit or otherwise hasn't made one bit of difference to numbers on a Saturday.
Btw, you can change your profile now.