SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m PF + 1.8m PF + 90cm + 2x85cm + 80cm
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
Hi,
While researching online I learned that boxes with the hisilicon hi3798mv200 processor have a slow motion like effect when switching channels. That's not a big deal IMO. But, it appears this also happens at the beginning of recordings! Someone with a Zgemma box (with hisilicon hi3798mv200) noticed this issue.
I wonder if this is a general issue with the hi3798mv200 or specific to one Enigma2 image.
Does this slow-mo/frame drop happen at the beginning of recordings with your hi3798mv200 based sat receiver?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Recordings will be in the same identical transport stream format that was broadcast from the satellite. So no surprise that the same problem occurs when playing a recording as it has to go through the same processing as a live broadcast in order for video & sound to be displayed.

Have seen a similar issue on a Freesat V7 HD where the video stutters for a second or two every time the channel is changed. Not an enigma box and no idea what chipset it uses.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m PF + 1.8m PF + 90cm + 2x85cm + 80cm
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
If the playback of the recording is made in the receiver, then yes, it is likely to show the same behavior. But the actual recording of the stream may not be affected since different processing threads with different processing power and probably different priority levels are used. If that is the case and the playback is made on another device (on a computer for example), then it may play normally without any initial frame drop slow-motion like effect. What I want to know is if the recordings themselves are affected. To be sure, they must be played back in another device, for example on a computer in VLC.

Some receivers have the option to momentarily show a black screen when changing channels while the new channel is tuned and processed to be displayed. I thought this was also available as an option on Enigma2 receivers. I have no experience with enigma boxes, so I'm just wondering if that exists. But in any case, the comments I read talk about a 2 second slow motion like effect, much longer than what is typically needed to tune and correctly display a channel in a correctly setup system using a modern receiver.

So the question remains, are the start of recordings made in hi3798mv200 receiver boxes affect by the issue?

Last edited: