How are channel numbers allocated?

NickPGSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish, 2 x TM1, 2 x Inverto Green LNB
My Location
London
I have 4 LNBs attached though DISECQ switch to Sony TV Positions (19.2, 28.2, 23.5, 13.0) > Disecq (A, B, C, D) > Satellite (1, 2, 3, 4)

Going from lowest to High channel numbers, I find:
Some Astra 2
Astra 1
Other Astra 2
Astra 3
Hotbird 13
(then radio channels)

I know the TV allows me to move channels around, but I have never done this, and I am just wondering how it decides on the default ordering. It's almost the obvious satellite order, except it's split Astra 2 - any idea why?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Delete them all and rescan, is the result any different? The first channels may have already been in the television's database (Freesat channels?) and the rest are probably in the order they were scanned in.

femi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Irte 2.4m (C-Ku-band), Laminas 1.8m (Ka-Ku-C-band), a lot of other small dishes, terrestrical antennas and receivers
My Location
Lower Austria
It's almost the obvious satellite order, except it's split Astra 2 - any idea why?
So far, I haven't noticed that people are switching between satellites. It often happens that a plane (H / V) is scanned first. The whole search depends only on the search algorithm of the device software.
Erasing everything is maybe best. If something is not found, hopefully there is also a manual transponder search.

NickPGSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Delete them all and rescan, is the result any different? The first channels may have already been in the television's database (Freesat channels?) and the rest are probably in the order they were scanned in.

I don't think there *is* a delete - a full rescan (which is what I do) deletes doesn't leave any (eg if I do a full rescan with only one LNB enabled)

NickPGSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
So far, I haven't noticed that people are switching between satellites. It often happens that a plane (H / V) is scanned first. The whole search depends only on the search algorithm of the device software.
Erasing everything is maybe best. If something is not found, hopefully there is also a manual transponder search.

The polarisation is an interesting idea - if if that was the case I would think I would get a mix from all 4 satellites. I don't think I am missing anything, so in one sense it's really not a problem. Apart from it annoys me not to know why it does what it does. :-)

I wondered if the TV has some "intelligence" around knowing my location and assuming Astra 2 is a UK-preferred satellite, and hence treats some of its channels as a special case.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
It will have UK specific firmware (or firmware settings) for both Freeview and Freesat.

LeBelge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Triax TD 110, 2x Edision OS Mio 4K (plus), Edision OS Mini 4K, Edision OS Nino Pro
My Location
Belguim

I know the TV allows me to move channels around, but I have never done this, ...
Moving 4321 channels via the remote control is a real pain.
I use DreamBoxEdit on my PC under Xubuntu (+ Wine) to create user bouquets.
Then I send all the bouquets back to my Enigma2 receiver.

DreamBoxEdit.png

NickPGSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
It will have UK specific firmware (or firmware settings) for both Freeview and Freesat.

Right - I found out. After eliminating all possible menu options I went back to the new installation menu, and found that one of the options you have to select is the country. Instead of UK I chose "-" and after a rescan, all the channels were in satellite order. So that was it, the TV has some list of "UK channels" it expects (which is a subset of Astra 2) which it populates the low numbers with.