Advice Needed Humax Foxsat HDR - How to add a new satellite

Ramac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised satellite, Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
London
I want to add a new satellite into my Humax Foxsat HDR. But I can't see any option in the menu to add a new satellite. E-g: INTELSAT 17 at 66.0°E

Thanks
Ram

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You can't add a satellite into an ordinary HDR while it is in Freesat mode (which is the default).

There are two choices: you simply switch into non-Freesat mode or, if you're a bit braver, flash the HDR firmware with the Radyon (think that'show it's spelled) firmware. There are posts here about the scond course if you want to persue it.

The non-Freesat mode is nowwhere near as flexible for setting recordings and the EPG is extremely linited. The Radyon firmware marries the two modes.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If I recall correctly, it isn't dissimilar to the rigmarole for adding a new TP to an existing Satellite: ie in non-Freesat mode bring up your Satellite list and scroll to the very end where there should be a User Define option.

Can't check right now though as SWMBO has the Telecommander ........

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Do you have a dish pointing at 66E??

I cant see much of potential interest on the I-17 Ku band beam, so assuming you are wanting the Indian channels they are C-band and will require a pretty big dish - probably start thinking at something in the region of 2m in diameter if not a bit bigger.

66E is also low in the sky near the horizon, so unless you plan to mount a dish on the roof of a block of flats its unlikely you will have clear line of sight to it in the London area. Any hills, trees, blocks of flats etc out to the east - south east will kill any chance for a ground mounted dish

Ramac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Even in non freesat mode there is no option to add a new satellite. I will look into the Radyon firmware update.

Thanks
You can't add a satellite into an ordinary HDR while it is in Freesat mode (which is the default).

There are two choices: you simply switch into non-Freesat mode or, if you're a bit braver, flash the HDR firmware with the Radyon (think that'show it's spelled) firmware. There are posts here about the scond course if you want to persue it.

The non-Freesat mode is nowwhere near as flexible for setting recordings and the EPG is extremely linited. The Radyon firmware marries the two modes.

Ramac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I don't see any option to add a new satellite unlike adding a new tp with user defined.
If I recall correctly, it isn't dissimilar to the rigmarole for adding a new TP to an existing Satellite: ie in non-Freesat mode bring up your Satellite list and scroll to the very end where there should be a User Define option.

Can't check right now though as SWMBO has the Telecommander ........

Ramac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
You are correct. I am trying to get Indian channels. Because I am not able to add the satellite information, I don't know how clear the signal could be.
Do you have a dish pointing at 66E??

I cant see much of potential interest on the I-17 Ku band beam, so assuming you are wanting the Indian channels they are C-band and will require a pretty big dish - probably start thinking at something in the region of 2m in diameter if not a bit bigger.

66E is also low in the sky near the horizon, so unless you plan to mount a dish on the roof of a block of flats its unlikely you will have clear line of sight to it in the London area. Any hills, trees, blocks of flats etc out to the east - south east will kill any chance for a ground mounted dish

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I don't see any option to add a new satellite unlike adding a new tp with user defined.

I'll have a look for you in half an hour or so >> Just watching the end of the Grand Prix.

(But you will still need a BIG dish for 66E)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Whoops, can't do it right now as the box is Recording.

There are some Wikis somewhere, so I'll have a look for those instead.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nope: Can't find that either.

Plan C >> I'm going to look at my Wife's non-HDR Foxsat.

In non-Freesat mode, access the hidden menu and select Antenna Setting

Then select Satellite Setting

Highlight the Satellite line and press OK

Scroll right down past all the non-28E pre-stored birds and the entry "freesat 28.2E"

The lines immediately below that are headed User Define 1, 2, 3, 4

Select whichever of these you wish, then Edit the name and enter the LNB frequency, DiSEqC mode etc.

The rest should be straight forward ................. although you may have to check some of the other Menus in non-freesat mode to be able to Enable the new Satellite and enter its Azimuth.

My STB is currently used in multi-LNB mode and it's a while since I used it in Motorised mode, so I'm afraid having given you a start, you'll need to complete the task by experiment!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh, I almost forgot: I'm sure you know, but the hidden menu is Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Green, Yellow, Blue when "Manual Tune" is highlighted but not selected.

And I don't think most of the "other Satellite" functions are activated until you've done a minimal (Single TP should do it!) Manual Tune on "freesat 28.2E"

Not very instinctive and it took me ages to get used to it.

But it does work!

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
Oh, I almost forgot: I'm sure you know, but the hidden menu is Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Green, Yellow, Blue when "Manual Tune" is highlighted but not selected.

And I don't think most of the "other Satellite" functions are activated until you've done a minimal (Single TP should do it!) Manual Tune on "freesat 28.2E"

Not very instinctive and it took me ages to get used to it.

But it does work!
Nope: Can't find that either.

Plan C >> I'm going to look at my Wife's non-HDR Foxsat.

In non-Freesat mode, access the hidden menu and select Antenna Setting

Then select Satellite Setting

Highlight the Satellite line and press OK

Scroll right down past all the non-28E pre-stored birds and the entry "freesat 28.2E"

The lines immediately below that are headed User Define 1, 2, 3, 4

Select whichever of these you wish, then Edit the name and enter the LNB frequency, DiSEqC mode etc.

The rest should be straight forward ................. although you may have to check some of the other Menus in non-freesat mode to be able to Enable the new Satellite and enter its Azimuth.

My STB is currently used in multi-LNB mode and it's a while since I used it in Motorised mode, so I'm afraid having given you a start, you'll need to complete the task by experiment!
So... we CANT add a new satellite to the HDR line-up ? only to the foxsat HD ...pretty useless that .

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, it does work on the Foxsat HDR ....... the comments above were made when my HDR was actually recording, ergo many other functions were temporarily suspended.

This Topic is somewhat dated and I happily used our HDR on multiple Satellites for a good while.. variously with a DiSEqC switch and an H-H Motor.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You CAN use the HDR for another satellite. I set one up once for 19E with 28E as sat A and 19E as Sat B for a DiSeqC switch. This was when the HDR was set up for single LNB use. The LNB1 out went to LNB2 in and LNB1 in went to the DiSeqC switch. It all worked as you would expect it to.

Unfortunately since upgrading the system to two LNBs for 28E I've been unable to get the secret menu DiSeqC switching to work so I'm not really in a position to help you.

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
Yes, it does work on the Foxsat HDR ....... the comments above were made when my HDR was actually recording, ergo many other functions were temporarily suspended.

This Topic is somewhat dated and I happily used our HDR on multiple Satellites for a good while.. variously with a DiSEqC switch and an H-H Motor.
I don't see how, my foxsat hdr has no " user satellite" or anyway to input the info for a new sat ??

I use an HH90 motor by the way .. no probs I set it all up in the last week, but cant install new sats .

trying to update my foxsat hdr software with no luck, and all the sats ive tried don't carry the software update for the hdr either.. only for the newer models

I tried the USB route, but its not playing ball, thought id bricked it a couple of times.. ok now, but still the old boot loader.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. Works fine with any of the pre-stored Satellites but I can't say whether, to answer the specific issue raised, you can add an entirely new "Satellite" ie one not already on the list.

As stated further up, you definitely can create User birds on the original non-HDR but, like PaulR, my HDR has now been given over to 28E alone, so I can't check for you, I'm afraid.

Edit: Cross-posted. Ok, you have checked and here are no User Customisable positions.. I guess that's the end of that, then. I do find it surprising, as I should have thought much of the Firmware would be common to both the HDR and non-HDR.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As for Firmware, as luck would have it, I still have a copy of the Raydon 4.1.3 modified Firmware, which I could get to you somehow.

This gives lots of extra functionality eg a Web Interface , Streaming, enhanced File Management etc and includes the last release of Humax's last kernel, v1.00.21, for the Foxsat HDR.

It comes with a read.me file of instructions and reminds us that not all USB sticks work, which might explain the issues you've had.

PS My Bootloader is U7.54. I can't recall whether it's essential to have that, or if an earlier version will do.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U7.53 is the earliest that will apparently work. My own HDR is U7.52 and I've never been able to update that (a long story detailed elsewhere) to put the Raydon firmware on my own box.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I knew you knew, PaulR, but couldn't find the earlier discussions about it.

Many thanks.

TBH, these boxes are pretty long in the tooth now ..... a bit like their users, I suspect!

A

archive10

I knew you knew, PaulR, but couldn't find the earlier discussions about it.

Many thanks.

TBH, these boxes are pretty long in the tooth now ..... a bit like their users, I suspect!
Well, I don't know about that... :)

It's still the main UK TV box for us in the Living room - and although multi-sat would be practical, the EPG is essential in planning recordings etc.
I have other newer Humaxes, but the Prism UI of the newer ones take a little getting used to...

Only irritating thing of the old UI (or rather, the old stack) is that whenever i do pause-live-tv and resume playing, subtitles are suddenly turned on, and will stay on until I quit PLTV. It seems to be when reading from the timeshift buffer, subtitles suddenly gets turned on.