Humax powersupplys,why always hot and faulty?

Turok

Turok

My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!

can anyone tell my,why the power supply,of humax reveivers,always so hot and faulty,on my 5400 irci i replace it 2 times within 4 years,the same on humax hd box 1000,after 1 year,boom nothing happens,what is the low quality component,in the power suply it self,that always makes,the same problem,and best question,why humax,does not fix this?

how high,is the "chance"that a power supply in a sat reveiver,is going fault,because of high heat?
rembers,my on the old echostar lt 8700 days,so hot,that you can cook eggs on it:)

Topper

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well ideally the question should be put to Humax themselves as I doubt that anyone on this board knows the exact reason. We can of course all make an educated guess however has it ever crossed your mind that your mains voltage may not be exactly what you are expecting? In certain areas of any country even in the UK the national grid is not as good as everyone would like and when in the 80's we were once experiencing single phase mains fluctuations at work the electricity company agreed to monitor our supply and the fluctuations were plus or minus 84V at certain times of the day, ie 324V to 156V. It was so bad the monitoring equipment overheated and set on fire. Perhaps your supply is also fluctuating, therefore one must congratulate them for managing to design a power supply that could operate under these conditions for 12 months.

K

Kiwi2

My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400, multifeed
6 satelites
HP Compaq nx9005
I am a Humax 5400 oner for about 6 years.
I have had the power supply fixed once, and after that I fix it my self.
Only if one has any electronics experiance.
You need to change two elecrolite condesors, one resister, and one Zener Diod 30v.
here in Croatia. the house current also canges a lot. Average working time of the power supply is about 3-4 years, depending on the use and current.
As the guy above sead, you must be glad that your Humax has lasted so long.
Greetings from Croatia.

Turok

Turok

My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hi Kiwi!
thx,for your reply:)

the other option is,to make the lifetime,of the power suply a little bit longer!

install a pc cpu cooler on it,with low speed,then your humax live longer,and todays cooler,are very quite,normaly,when you buy good quality cooler components,in computer store!

the other option,like a heatpipe,that you have on grpahic cards,could be realiseid,but its a little bit complex to make,but i think not imposible:)

F

fawad

this power supply have some bad hardware design, the capacitor is very close to heat area, & due to high temprature capacitor life goes low.

just transfer this capacitor to back side of PCB then it will be OK,

might some of you remember when we people add a fan in early version of 5400/5300, which was nothaving good air go through.

F

fawad

this power supply have some bad hardware design, the capacitor is very close to heat area, & due to high temprature capacitor life goes low.

just transfer this capacitor to back side of PCB then it will be OK,

might some of you remember when we people add a fan in early version of 5400/5300, which was not having good air go through.