I'm new, can some get me up to speed?

jabjoe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Leek
Hi,

I've just got myself a Triple Dragon and I'm getting evils from the other half as she can't watch House & CSI because we can't watch channel 5! ;-)

The Triple Dragon looked like the best option for a Linux satellite box at the moment. Ideally I would have liked dual tuner DVB-S2, but there don't seam to be really on the market yet.

Previously I had a Humax 9200, which other then it was closed and the access speed was slow, I was reasonably happy with. But I've moved and there won't be freeview here for years. Cable isn't an option here either, so Satellite is my only option. I borrowed a friend's old Sky box as an intermediate.

When I had the Humax it bothered me it was closed and I couldn't improve it at all. So I decided that this time I would get a open box. I use Linux on my desktop, so I'm quite used it.

I've got it setup with Astra and can view all the free to air channels.

So:

* How do I get the EPG to be more complete?
At the moment it's just showing the current show and the next for each channel visited.
There must be a way of getting at least the EPG I can get on the old-uncarded Sky box.

* How do I get the PVR always on?
I.e, so it's keeping something like a 20min buffer for rewinding, and if you do pause/rewind, this buffer grows as needed.
Is there a plugin for this? If not, can someone point me in sdk direction? ;-)

* How do I get my FreeSat card working?
I have a FreeSat card for Channel 4 & 5s for the old Sky box. I understand I can't use this in the Smartcard reader because of some evil DRM stuff tieing the key on the FreeSat card to the serial number of the Sky box. But then I get a bit lost, I can buy a CAM card for the CI slot, how does that work? Do I register the FreeSat card to it's serial number, or can I make enter the Sky box's serial number to it? There is also SoftCAM's, as I understand it this is a CAM emulator, so how does this work? I put the FreeSat card in slot1 Smartcard reader and set the software to the Sky box's serial number?

* Can I stream from the computer to the Triple Dragon? I see a vlc plugin but I'm unclear what direction that is. I'm fearing it's not possible to stream to the box. I'm wondering if the process is powerful enough for software decoding, I'm guessing not and that if it is possible, it must be streaming in MPEG2 so the hardware decoder can be used. If so, I can stream what ever I like from the desktop transcoded to Pal size MPEG2. So, I could then a get a tuner for the desktop too and use that as a second tuner.

Sorry for the length of post, just want it to be clear where I'm coming from.

Joe

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi jabjoe, welcome to the forum (and indeed to the TD section) :)

*The S*y EPG will only show Now/Next, as the proprietary system used for NDS is not compatible with non-S*y boxes.

*PVR options are available via Menu - More System Setup - Hard Disk - Options.

*I assume you have the official image on your TD. This is only able to read Conax and Firecrypt cards. Unofficial images such as TDMan have emulators which will work with several cards including the S*Y card. These images can be found to upload to your TD at _www.ump2002.net.

* Yes, you can stream to the TD. In the OSD, 4-5-4-4 will open the NAS Menu. In the 'type' column, select Linux or Windows. Not a Linux user, so for me I use Windows to access files from my PC (must be MPEG or .ts files). Put in your PC IP address etc. and away you go.

Llew

jabjoe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Leek
Hi Llew,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Is there no way for the EPG to work properly? Surely it should work on the unencrypted channels at least. Is it even legal to encrypt the free to air BBC EPG? I have no way of reseiving it without paying Sky? That's hardly fair, I pay my TV lience too!

I just hope BBC/ITV's freesat is going DVB-S so I can use that instead. If I can, I want nothing to do with Mr Murdoch.

I was going to update the image on my box anyway, sounds like this is another reason. Once I've updated the image, I'll try everything again.

Thanks. :)

Joe

jabjoe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Leek
Oh, wait I think I've got. Once the SoftCAM is up and running with my FreeSat (from Sky), it will unlock the EPG to? Cool!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jabjoe said:
Oh, wait I think I've got. Once the SoftCAM is up and running with my FreeSat (from Sky), it will unlock the EPG to? Cool!

As Llew has already stated without a sky box no you will not get the full EPG

jabjoe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Leek
Damn. Damn Murdoch! I pay my TV licence how can this be fair!?

That's a real downer, and it looks like FreeSat from the BBC next year, might be HD, in which case I'm going to have to get a different box, and I've only just got the Dragon! That or stream to the Dragon from my PC with a dvb-s2 satillete card, which means the Dragon is more then required for TV display. Money down the drain.

:-crying